Space taken by Win 10 & selection of games

jeremymwilson

Hi all, just about to pull the trigger on my build. I'm planning to get the samsung evo 500gb ssd and was wondering how much space the OS plus a handful of games take up. Let's say:

Windows 10 home

Doom 2016

Witcher 3

Civ 6

GTA 5

whatever a good PC racing game is plus room for a few more next year. 

Obviously at at some point I will need to get more storage and will add a second ssd but I haven't had a PC for 10 years and  have no idea how big 500gb really is. 

Please note, music/videos/photos will not be on the PC, nor will MS Office. Just games. 

Thanks

Love not hate

You should be good to start with, but you'll need to start looking at an expansion SSD/HDD pretty soon if you'll be expanding your library later, those starting games might just fill it up. 1TB SSDs tend to cost quite a bit, but if you have the cash it'll last you a while.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

MS Win 10 ~ 25-30gb

Doom 16 ~50gb

GTA5 ~70gb

Witcher3 ~40gb

civ6 ~15gb

so around 250gb is enough or more

3 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

You should be good to start with, but you'll need to start looking at an expansion SSD/HDD pretty soon if you'll be expanding your library later, those starting games might just fill it up. 1TB SSDs tend to cost quite a bit, but if you have the cash it'll last you a while.

Yeah I keep going back and forth on the 1tb ssd

Love not hate

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

MS Win 10 ~ 25-30gb

Doom 16 ~50gb

GTA5 ~70gb

Witcher3 ~40gb

civ6 ~15gb

so around 250gb is enough or more

Great info, thanks

Love not hate

Just now, jeremymwilson said:

Yeah I keep going back and forth on the 1tb ssd

If you can afford it, it's going to serve you very well and for a long time. But if there are other things you'd rather spend cash on a 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo is cheaper and will perform just fine.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

1 minute ago, Thorimus said:

If you can afford it, it's going to serve you very well and for a long time. But if there are other things you'd rather spend cash on a 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo is cheaper and will perform just fine.

You're right but I've had an iMac with an ssd and hdd for years and the only thing that bugs me about it (except for the lack of games, which is why I'm here?) is the sound of the hdd in an otherwise silent computer. Because of that I won't use an hdd again. 

Love not hate

500GB should be enough for that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020