Motherboard power connectors

Hi. This motherboard asus x99 e ws has 2x 8pin and 1x6pin connectors as illustrated in the image... do I need to fill all these connectors? My PSU comes with one 8 pin connector cable, would it be ok to use 4+4pin to accomodate the dual 8 pin slots? With regards with my psu where exactly do I connect the 8 pins from the psu to the motherboard?

Tia

Screenshot_20161013-170502.png

images (7).jpg

I.) R9 5900X | U12A | X570 Aorus Master rev1.0 | 64GB Gskill 3600Mhz (B-die) | 2TBx3 M.2 | 500x2 850 Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | Seasonic 1000W Ti | 6800XT Nitro+ SE
II.) R9 3900XT | D15 | X570 CH VIII Wifi BIOS 3801 | 64GB Dominator 3466Mhz (B-die) | 2TBx2 M.2 | 2TB WD Gold | Seasonic 1000W Ti | 1070ti mini
III.) i7 6850k | D15 | X99 E WS 3.1 BIOS 4001 | Vengeance Pro 64GB 3200Mhz | GTX1080 | 1TB 970 Evo Plus | 10x10TB HGST 7k6000 | NH D15s | Define r6 | K95 RGB | Seasonic Platinum 1300W
IV.) 1700X | NH D15 SE-AM4 | X370 XHAIR 6 Extreme | Seasonic Platinum 750W | Veangence Pro 32GB | GTX1050Ti | WD Gold | Benq SW2700PT | TT View 71 TG
V.) R9 3900X | U12A | X570i ROG | 32GB Team Create 3600Mhz (B-die) | 2x2TB M.2 | Seasonic 850W Ti | GTX 1070

You need to connect the CPU power plug where the connectors are labeled "CPU/PCIe." The other end of the cable connects to one of the eight pin CPU power connectors - you do not need to fill both. The second one is only there for supplemental power when overclocking. Same goes with the stray six pin power connector. It's there only for when you have multiple cards connected. It supplements the 75W of power coming from the PCIe slots to take pressure off the 24-pin connector. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You need to connect the CPU power plug where the connectors are labeled "CPU/PCIe." The other end of the cable connects to one of the eight pin CPU power connectors - you do not need to fill both. The second one is only there for supplemental power when overclocking. Same goes with the stray six pin power connector. It's there only for when you have multiple cards connected. It supplements the 75W of power coming from the PCIe slots to take pressure off the 24-pin connector. 

Does it harm/or have risk if I fill all of them? My setup would be gtx1080, m.2 pcie card, sound card, thunderbolt card. 

I.) R9 5900X | U12A | X570 Aorus Master rev1.0 | 64GB Gskill 3600Mhz (B-die) | 2TBx3 M.2 | 500x2 850 Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | Seasonic 1000W Ti | 6800XT Nitro+ SE
II.) R9 3900XT | D15 | X570 CH VIII Wifi BIOS 3801 | 64GB Dominator 3466Mhz (B-die) | 2TBx2 M.2 | 2TB WD Gold | Seasonic 1000W Ti | 1070ti mini
III.) i7 6850k | D15 | X99 E WS 3.1 BIOS 4001 | Vengeance Pro 64GB 3200Mhz | GTX1080 | 1TB 970 Evo Plus | 10x10TB HGST 7k6000 | NH D15s | Define r6 | K95 RGB | Seasonic Platinum 1300W
IV.) 1700X | NH D15 SE-AM4 | X370 XHAIR 6 Extreme | Seasonic Platinum 750W | Veangence Pro 32GB | GTX1050Ti | WD Gold | Benq SW2700PT | TT View 71 TG
V.) R9 3900X | U12A | X570i ROG | 32GB Team Create 3600Mhz (B-die) | 2x2TB M.2 | Seasonic 850W Ti | GTX 1070

1 minute ago, DocYoda said:

Does it harm/or have risk if I fill all of them? My setup would be gtx1080, m.2 pcie card, sound card, thunderbolt card. 

No. They're there to be used. You're not going to need the six pin power connector. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

27 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No. They're there to be used. You're not going to need the six pin power connector. 

You need the six pin PC only when you are doing SLI. but there's no harm filling all of them up.

Just now, ObliviationGNx said:

You need the six pin PC only when you are doing SLI. but there's no harm filling all of them up.

Isn't that what I just said?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Isn't that what I just said?

well, you didn't mention SLI ?

1 minute ago, ObliviationGNx said:

well, you didn't mention SLI ?

I mentioned the power draw coming from the slots. The PCIe six pin connector is there to supplement and take off some of the load from the 24-pin connector. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I mentioned the power draw coming from the slots. The PCIe six pin connector is there to supplement and take the load off of the 24-pin connector. 

sorry haha. my bad. I didn't scroll up!! apologies.!

1 minute ago, ObliviationGNx said:

sorry haha. my bad. I didn't scroll up!! apologies.!

And besides, it's not about SLI. It's more about running multiple video cards concurrently. You don't need to use SLI/Crossfire in order to use multiple cards concurrently.

This is all just redundancy to provide better chances for overclocking. No Intel CPU actually consumes 300 Watts (which the two eight-pins could provide) Instead they use the two connectors to separate their phases at the actual consumptions. You'll get by just fine with only one 8-pin plugged in but if you intend to OC, the second would help provide more stable power. Basically plugging it in won't harm you but it takes a special scenario to help. 

The 6-pin is there to provide power to the GPUs. As per PCI-E specification, each connector needs to supply 75 Watts to the card. That 75 Watts is provided via the motherboard from the 24-pin EATX connector. A lot of cards have dedicated connectors directly from the PSU but some of the power is always going to be drawn from the PCI-E slot. It's not always the full 75W but you can never not have power in there either. For most uses that's all fine but lets just say you have something crazy like four graphics cards plugged in. That's what the 6-pin is for. To relay the extra power that the motherboard need to all the PCI-E devices. Again, plugging it in won't hurt you in any way but your actually ever needing it takes a special use-case. 

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

A lot of cards have dedicated connectors directly from the CPU[.]

Come again?

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

And besides, it's not about SLI. It's more about running multiple video cards concurrently. You don't need to use SLI/Crossfire in order to use multiple cards concurrently.

Thanks for the extra info! :)

psu manual

http://seasonic.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/P-series-08.20141.pdf

page 51

2x4pin power connector same as 1x8pin power connector

as for the 2x8 pins and 1 x 6 pin ..... yes plug them in (all plug sockets filled on mobo)

plz note there is a difference between a 8 pin power connector and an 8 pin pcie/sata connector (see manual)

hope this helps

Just now, jools said:

as for the 2x8 pins and 1 x 6 pin ..... yes plug them in (all plug sockets filled on mobo)

The second eight pin and the six pin do not need to be connected. 

maybe they are aux power points , but better in that out for stability. we don't know how hes gonna load his board...I would connect them for future proofing but that's me...tx

Thanks for the inputs guys. Now I decided to fill them all up. Looking at my PSU there are multiple slots labeled as "CPU/PCI-E", as indicated with a red circle and red rectangle. Referring to the video below at 0:44 Linus stated that to make sure not to use PCI-E 8 pin to the 8pin EATX12v because it would fry the mobo. Now that I am considering to fill the dual 8 pin EATX12V and EATX12V1 and 6 pin EATX12V_1, I dont know where exactly I should insert those cables to the PSU. I also intend to purchase colored sleeved cables, as the seasonic does not come with colored sleeved cables that I like. (e.g. bitfenix sleeved cables), would that mess things up? I hope someone can shed light on this. Thank you. 

1200.png

X99-E WS.png

Your CPU and PCIe plugs are interchangeable on the power supply end, hence the labeling that was chosen. What cables did you actually purchase?

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Your CPU and PCIe plugs are interchangeable on the power supply end, hence the labeling that was chosen. What cables did you actually purchase?

Thank you. So you mean I can choose wherever and no preferred slot? anyways I havent purchased it yet but I plan to get cables from here - https://bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables#specs

• 3 years later...
On 10/13/2016 at 5:20 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Thank Goodness, finally someone that has answered this question. 

I thought it was rather redundant confusing for Asus to add the extra 8pin and extra 6 pin in such odd areas of the board. 

I'll go ahead adjust plug in one of 8pins tomorrow, because after I tried lugging in all the slots. There's a red error light with code 00. Asus doesn't not have a definition, but I surmise it is the Bios? 

So now it is stuck on red light, fires up for 1 second and turns off. With all lights on. I hope nothing burned out hut it seems like a bios problem. 

7 hours ago, PonderingGuru said:

Thank Goodness, finally someone that has answered this question. 

I thought it was rather redundant confusing for Asus to add the extra 8pin and extra 6 pin in such odd areas of the board. 

I'll go ahead adjust plug in one of 8pins tomorrow, because after I tried lugging in all the slots. There's a red error light with code 00. Asus doesn't not have a definition, but I surmise it is the Bios? 

So now it is stuck on red light, fires up for 1 second and turns off. With all lights on. I hope nothing burned out hut it seems like a bios problem. 

I'd advise you to create a separate topic on this. It's only luck that I happened to see this :P 

8 hours ago, PonderingGuru said:

* snip *

Please do not reply to 4 years old thread, if you have a similar issue and need help create a new and the refer to the old thread (this one if needed).

* thread locked *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !