My First Build Ever (Help on parts list)

DANtheMAN94

i am 22 years old and currently work electrical, in Toronto Canada. I have always been handy and into construction and recently  started to get into electronic as a hobby. i currently use a couple year old mac book pro and figured it would be wicked to build my own water cooled desktop....im pretty good with my hands and putting things together i figure this shouldn't be to hard. the necessities for my computer would be that i want it to be able to display true 4k, be able to do 3d rendering, video editing (youtube videos), be ridiculously fast, and be able to run both windows & IOS. I've done some research on my own but am no expert in IT and was kind of able to put together a list of parts that i think will work. Im looking for advice for 1) if all these parts will work together 2) if all these parts will be able to achieve my goals/expectations for what i want, and 3) if there is a cheaper option for parts (of better or equal quality) that will still achieve my goal.

Parts List (prices are in canadian dollars)

• Thermaltake care p5 atx case (pretty firm on the case as i like the open concept and think it would make a cool, water cooled desktop) - $184.99 
  • Inter i7-6800k broadwell-e six core processor, lga2011-v3, 3.4ghz, 15mb l3 cash, 14nm - $599.00
  • Asus x99-a ii 2011-v3, intel x99, ddr4 3333mhz, pci-e 3.0 x16, glan, 8x sata 6gb/s, m.2, u.2, usb 3.1/3.0 atx - $310.00
  • asus turbo geforce gtx 1070 8gb (turbo-gtx1070-8g), 1506 mhz base/ 1683 mhz boost, 8008 mhz memory clock, pci-e 3.0, 1x dvi-d, 2x hdmi 2.0, 2x dp - $599
  • g.skill ripjaw v series 32gb (2x16gb) ddr4 dram 3200mhz c14 memory dual channel kit (f4-3200c14d-32gvr) - $256.00
  • wd blue 1tb desktop hard disk drive - 7200rpm sata 6 gb/s 64mb cashe 3.5 inch - wd10ezex - $127.98 (2@63.99)
  • mushkin triactor 240gb 2.5" sata iii internal solid state drive, read:560 mb/s write:515 mb/s (mknssdtr240gb) - $149.76 (2@74.88)

not sure about a power unit i was thinking 1200w but not sure, and not sure about any water cooling parts at the moment i was thinking about assembling everything and then figuring out what part would fit to create my custom loop water cooling system. i hope I'm not way off here, and i hope this makes things easy for your guys. let me know what you think

All should work fine, no issues. As for the PSU, 1200W is way, way overkill. Only 500W is needed for a 1070, 750w if buying two to SLI. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I have two gripes.

The first being that a 1200W power supply is excessive. This rig would run fine on a decent 550W unit without any problems.

The second is the two SSDs, which I assume you're going to put in a RAID 0 configuration. Don't, you're simply asking for a higher chance of data failure at no real performance improvement. Get a single SSD instead. The Crucial MX300 525GB is a decent choice.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 hour ago, DANtheMAN94 said:

i am 22 years old and currently work electrical, in Toronto Canada. I have always been handy and into construction and recently  started to get into electronic as a hobby. i currently use a couple year old mac book pro and figured it would be wicked to build my own water cooled desktop....im pretty good with my hands and putting things together i figure this shouldn't be to hard. the necessities for my computer would be that i want it to be able to display true 4k, be able to do 3d rendering, video editing (youtube videos), be ridiculously fast, and be able to run both windows & IOS. I've done some research on my own but am no expert in IT and was kind of able to put together a list of parts that i think will work. Im looking for advice for 1) if all these parts will work together 2) if all these parts will be able to achieve my goals/expectations for what i want, and 3) if there is a cheaper option for parts (of better or equal quality) that will still achieve my goal.

Parts List (prices are in canadian dollars)

• Thermaltake care p5 atx case (pretty firm on the case as i like the open concept and think it would make a cool, water cooled desktop) - $184.99 
  • Inter i7-6800k broadwell-e six core processor, lga2011-v3, 3.4ghz, 15mb l3 cash, 14nm - $599.00
  • Asus x99-a ii 2011-v3, intel x99, ddr4 3333mhz, pci-e 3.0 x16, glan, 8x sata 6gb/s, m.2, u.2, usb 3.1/3.0 atx - $310.00
  • asus turbo geforce gtx 1070 8gb (turbo-gtx1070-8g), 1506 mhz base/ 1683 mhz boost, 8008 mhz memory clock, pci-e 3.0, 1x dvi-d, 2x hdmi 2.0, 2x dp - $599
  • g.skill ripjaw v series 32gb (2x16gb) ddr4 dram 3200mhz c14 memory dual channel kit (f4-3200c14d-32gvr) - $256.00
  • wd blue 1tb desktop hard disk drive - 7200rpm sata 6 gb/s 64mb cashe 3.5 inch - wd10ezex - $127.98 (2@63.99)
  • mushkin triactor 240gb 2.5" sata iii internal solid state drive, read:560 mb/s write:515 mb/s (mknssdtr240gb) - $149.76 (2@74.88)

not sure about a power unit i was thinking 1200w but not sure, and not sure about any water cooling parts at the moment i was thinking about assembling everything and then figuring out what part would fit to create my custom loop water cooling system. i hope I'm not way off here, and i hope this makes things easy for your guys. let me know what you think

1200W is way overkill. I think that's what linus used to run 7Gamers 1 CPU or something, so a build like yours wouldn't need nearly as much power. 

You want macOS support, but I'm not sure if they've implemented GTX 10xx support yet (not really sure; if you have sources trust them about this instead of me)

I don't see why you would want 2 musking SSDs; it would be better if you just got one higher capacity one. 

Also, at this pricepoint, may I recommend a WD black drive instead of blue? Not that anything is wrong with blue whatsoever (still miles ahead of some seagate drives), it's just that black Drives are engineered for performance & content creation, which you intend on doing. 

Honestly, at this price point are a bit harder to critque because so many parts can be put in there "just because" and it won't really matter because it'll fit in the budget. (tl;dr higher budget = more opinionated)

Anyways, hope you have a good build! Godspeed!

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

you can probably find a 1070 with an aftermarket cooler/PCB which will have a higher clock speed and boost higher. maybe $20 CAD more at the most

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

If you want to play games in 4k a Gtx 1070 is not enough, a 1080 is close to a single card solution but even that will require you to turn some settings down. Personally if you really want a 4k machine I would reduce the CPU to a 6700k with a Z170 motherboard and put that towards a Gtx 1080 at least.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

This would be something that would handle 4k gaming better than your x99 system, although the extra cores (especially if OCed) would help with video rendering. I gave you the hyper212 evo since you mentioned wanting to do a custom loop, although I would vote against those unless you're an enthusiast. A custom loop won't really increase performance since most CPU's will hit their stability limits before their thermal limits even on a 240mm AIO. Although it can really help with thermal issues when you SLI graphic's cards since you start having airflow issues.

Gaming

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mzrqd6

Rendering PC

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MQQK7h

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

11 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

1200W is way overkill. I think that's what linus used to run 7Gamers 1 CPU or something, so a build like yours wouldn't need nearly as much power. 

You want macOS support, but I'm not sure if they've implemented GTX 10xx support yet (not really sure; if you have sources trust them about this instead of me)

I don't see why you would want 2 musking SSDs; it would be better if you just got one higher capacity one. 

Also, at this pricepoint, may I recommend a WD black drive instead of blue? Not that anything is wrong with blue whatsoever (still miles ahead of some seagate drives), it's just that black Drives are engineered for performance & content creation, which you intend on doing. 

Honestly, at this price point are a bit harder to critque because so many parts can be put in there "just because" and it won't really matter because it'll fit in the budget. (tl;dr higher budget = more opinionated)

Anyways, hope you have a good build! Godspeed!

ok i guess i could go with a 750w instead of the 1200w 
and the 2 ssds would be so i can have 1 as a boot ssd for windows and 1 as a boot ssd for ios not sure how it would really work as i havent done much research on how to get both ios and windows runing on 1 system but i know it is possible i know you need to have seperate hdds or you can split one but the case has room for 4 so i figure i might as well get one each for both windows and ios. 
i also dont know much about hdds in regards to blue or black that just seemed to have the fasts read and write speeds available near the price range 

11 hours ago, Moress said:

This would be something that would handle 4k gaming better than your x99 system, although the extra cores (especially if OCed) would help with video rendering. I gave you the hyper212 evo since you mentioned wanting to do a custom loop, although I would vote against those unless you're an enthusiast. A custom loop won't really increase performance since most CPU's will hit their stability limits before their thermal limits even on a 240mm AIO. Although it can really help with thermal issues when you SLI graphic's cards since you start having airflow issues.

Gaming

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mzrqd6

Rendering PC

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MQQK7h

honestly not big on gaming but id like to display 4k when i do game from time to time or watch a movie or do parts rendering in 3d. im more or a construction guy then a techy, so im not really sure as to what i need to achive my goal thats why i put up this thread. the custom water loop is not for performance just because it would look cool especial in the core p5 case

12 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

I have two gripes.

The first being that a 1200W power supply is excessive. This rig would run fine on a decent 550W unit without any problems.

The second is the two SSDs, which I assume you're going to put in a RAID 0 configuration. Don't, you're simply asking for a higher chance of data failure at no real performance improvement. Get a single SSD instead. The Crucial MX300 525GB is a decent choice.

honestly i know nothing about raid configurations or not or  sli for graphicas cards 
my intentions for the 2 sdds was to use 1 as a boot ssd for windows and 1 as a boot ssd for ios if this is not required and windows and ios would work fine on 1 boot ssd with i wont need to purchase a 2nd ssd card

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you keep saying you're 'not a techy' and don't seem to be all that much into computers, why fork out the 2000 bucks for a high-end computer that seems to be seeing only occasional use? For the same reason I'm questioning the wisdom of trying to go with a full custom waterloop setting, or going with an open-case design (which'll just attract a load of dust and require more maintenance).

Right now you're pretty much putting together a Ferrari that you say you'll only use to go for groceries on sunday.

If you just want something pretty you can just get a mid-end PC, save yourself a 1000 bucks and spend it all on... art...or iduno...furnitore... you can pretty much furnish a whole house at Ikea for what you'd save...

- if you want do any 4K gaming you should get a GTX-1080 instead of the 1070.

- 550watts is all you need, so a good quality 750 watt power supply is more than enough (even for 2 1080s)

- you could save some money by just getting DDR4-2400 RAM. RAM speed doesn't make much difference.

- since the motherboard supports it, and you want speed, I'd suggest you get a 500Gig  M.2 SSD. You can partition the SSD to make separate Windows and iOS  (and/or programs) sections.

- building a "Hackintosh" (iOS) system can place a lot of restrictions on what hardware is compatible (Apple only needs to support the hardware they use), so you should look into that a bit more. (Or, even better, not at all.)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

4 hours ago, DANtheMAN94 said:

it is possible i know you need to have seperate hdds or you can split one but the case has room for 4 so i figure i might as well get one each for both windows and ios.

Just get a single, nicer SSD and partition it. (Honestly, it took a few tries, but it's really user-friendly some of those partition utilities.)

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

*deleted duplicate* (see previous post in thread)

Edited by bob51zhang
deleted duplicate

Spoiler