Upgrade a potato or turn it into chips?

System specs:

Athlon 760k

Radeon 6870

8gb ram

I dont really know what the best way to go about getting more performance. I cant really get a new sistem till college (3 years). Should i get a overclockable mobo and squeese a little more perf or save up for a gpu or somethin? Im all ears.

What is wrong with chip?

What do you want the better performance for? Gaming? or just better all round performance?

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

You could upgrade the gpu to something like a 7970GHZ/R9 280x or an RX 470 to get yourself slightly above PS4 level of gaming capability. I wouldn't go any higher than that for GPU. For cpu performance I'm not sure you could get much more out of it through overclocking. Just make sure you're cooling it well enough to prevent throttling as that cpu can really kick out some heat.

Gaming is what i primarily do on it. Games like cities skylines ksp minecraft heroes anf generals. I know some of these games are cpu intesive so i was thinking about oc ing but thats going to need a new mobo. So that begs the question is it worth it to do that or just save? @zanthros also what gpu would you reccomend? I know that the cpu will bottleneck high end cards. @wrathoftheturkey

3 minutes ago, magnumkobra said:

@Mr.McMister

Is a cm geminii m4 ok for it. 

With good case airflow that's more than enough. The cpu is rated to generate a max of 100W of heat and that cooler should be fine to dissipate up to 140W.

@Mr.McMister

has perhaps the best suggestion for the video card and yes the processor can bottleneck the gaming experience if it is not enough.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

8 minutes ago, magnumkobra said:

@Mr.McMister

Is a cm geminii m4 ok for it. 

If you were going to upgrade a Mobo and CPU the GPU isn't that good, if you wanna upgrade the GPU the CPU won't help much, sooooo do just like me (I have a better build but basically can't upgrade something without having it bottleneck the other) wait for the Zen CPUs to come out, figure out how much GPU power you need and then buy a RX 460/470 or a NVidea GT XXX. (Depends on how much GPU power you need, judging on the games you play not much)

28 minutes ago, magnumkobra said:

Ok well thanks for the help i will most probably get a gpu first and then see about a cpu. @Mr.McMister 

If you plan on upgrading the cpu and MoBo (You already have the best cpu available on the FM2 platform) at within a year, then it doesn't matter if you get a more powerful gpu than the ones I suggested. My gpu suggestions were really only for pairing with that CPU, but you could get a card and have it bottleneck now then upgrade CPU & MoBo later to catch up. However, with how quickly GPU tech moves and how little the CPU matters for gaming in comparison, I would recommend doing the CPU upgrade first instead unless your time frame is < 1 year between the upgrades.

If I were in your position personally I would try to find a used  R9 280x for under $130 and sell the 6870 for $50 and when it comes time just sell all your core components and buy a new CPU, MoBo, GPU and RAM all at once.

@Mr.McMister good advice