HDR Gaming, Requirements

xc3ll
Go to solution Solved by Samfisher,

Hey Guys,

Linus' new video got me thinking: HDR looks pretty awesome. But more for gaming than for watching movies. For now it's more like a theoretical question, since there are no HDR-Monitors I know of. But if they would come out, would it be enough to just plug it in? I know, the GPU has to support it as well, but are there additional requirements on the content aka games?

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

the RX480/70/60 supports HDR, dont think nvidia support it yet

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

28 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

Both are supporting the HDR already. Problem (again) is that the content has to be adjusted for usage. We all know how that works out overall (CF/SLI, DX12/Vulkan support). It will take some time until it's mainstream. Think atleast 2-3 years, maybe longer since no real monitor support yet, and PC gaming on TV is not much done (I do however since it's also my home cinema).

Anyway it requires more bandwidth. So it has to be supported by the connections used. Think that is either Displayport 1.3 or 1.4 and HDMI 2.0A +

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

PC's are capable, monitors and games are not (yet). We have one part of the puzzle the other two pieces will fall into place sooner or later.

Keep an eye on CES to see if the monitor manufactures show off HDR displays. I'll be holding out hope for a 165hz G-sync HDR display.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

29 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

lol HDR was already in the Nvidia 900 series.