AMD 860k temps?

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
11 minutes ago, Grooovy said:

Im a new builder and finished my build using the 860k several months ago. Until this weekend i had been using AMD's stock heatsink and had idle temps in the range of 50c(the lowest) to 80c( once i hit 90c O.o). This weekend i installed a closed water cooling loop that had been used in a friends build. After installing it i have experienced idle temps like 44c-50c and the temp has only hit 77c once, but during some aida 64 cpu benchmarks it looks like the temp wouldnt go over 72c. Although i have seen improvements in temperatures after installing the water cooler, im wondering if i should be experiencing temps in the 70s with a water cooler? btw the cooler is a 120mm asetek. Any input on the situation is welcome.

It's probably fine under the water cooler, wouldn't really worry about it. FM2+ temps are hard to get an actual read on

Im a new builder and finished my build using the 860k several months ago. Until this weekend i had been using AMD's stock heatsink and had idle temps in the range of 50c(the lowest) to 80c( once i hit 90c O.o). This weekend i installed a closed water cooling loop that had been used in a friends build. After installing it i have experienced idle temps like 44c-50c and the temp has only hit 77c once, but during some aida 64 cpu benchmarks it looks like the temp wouldnt go over 72c. Although i have seen improvements in temperatures after installing the water cooler, im wondering if i should be experiencing temps in the 70s with a water cooler? btw the cooler is a 120mm asetek. Any input on the situation is welcome.

You have to AMDOver drive to get the thermal margin, those temperatures aren't accurate. 

11 minutes ago, Grooovy said:

It's probably fine under the water cooler, wouldn't really worry about it. FM2+ temps are hard to get an actual read on

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Unless you forgot to put thermal compound under the cooler, you'll be fine

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

11 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

You have to AMDOver drive to get the thermal margin, those temperatures aren't accurate. 

will do, thermal margin displays the temp it would take to get to overheating right? 

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Unless you forgot to put thermal compound under the cooler, you'll be fine

being that you are using a friends old cooler, you will definitely need to reapply the thermal paste, new closed loop water coolers usually come with preapplied paste, made the installation of my h100i v2 very easy :)

5 hours ago, Grooovy said:

will do, thermal margin displays the temp it would take to get to overheating right? 

AMD displays the thermal margin which is on a scale of 70C to 0C with higher being cooler and 0C being the lowest before throttling or a thermal shutdown. Most programs try to covert the thermal margin into a temperature on a normal scale but fail to do so since as far as I know there isn't a way to covert it since no one knows what X thermal margin equals on a scale of  negative infinity to infinity.