Is getting a job worth it?

Commedi

Hello.

I've been deciding whether to get a job or not. I'm in full time education in the UK, currently in college studying a level 2 diploma in Information Technology (IT) and I've been looking for jobs with no luck. More or less I'm interested in the whole video editing and graphic scene but I feel as though that I know a lot more about website design and development than what I want to do in itself. Regardless, I've been trying to get a job personally and haven't had any luck, as of which my personal reasons are for job experience and obviously having more money than I currently have in my pocket so I can upgrade more on my desktop.

Unfortunately I am getting less-confident with job applications and job registrations but that doesn't mean that I'm not doing it, I just have worries building up is all.

With my current situation, would anyone recommend that a job is a good idea for what I want or what career path I should start off with?

Whilst searching for jobs, I'd recommend putting together a number of movies for people for free and then showing them to your prospective employers. Employers are unlikely to employ you unless you can prove that you have adequate experience in the field. People that have tonnes of experience and can prove that they're good have no issue finding a job if they lose one.

If your staying at home with mommy and daddy then you can stay longer and casually look for a job.

If you are sleeping outside, in a shelter or collecting welfare you can casually look for a job if THAT doesnt bother you.

IF it bugs ya, then you should hit the streets and hit the job market hard.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

If your staying at home with mommy and daddy then you can stay longer and casually look for a job.

If you are sleeping outside or in a shelter you can casually look for a job if THAT doesnt bother you.

(I believe) The UK laws do not let a seven-teen year old or younger be homeless or at shelters but honestly I'm not great at law listing. Regardless I (still) live with my parents but I want a job for my own benefit, with the money I want to know what real work is and learn to do it at a younger age than stay inside all the time. I've found out about many jobs in the town centre right next to my college in the shop windows but as of which I want to do with life (and my personal expertise) I didn't know whether to go ahead and apply to one. Though they just started putting some out this weekend for I suppose Christmas... So yeah.

1 hour ago, Mug said:

Whilst searching for jobs, I'd recommend putting together a number of movies for people for free and then showing them to your prospective employers. Employers are unlikely to employ you unless you can prove that you have adequate experience in the field. People that have tonnes of experience and can prove that they're good have no issue finding a job if they lose one.

Sorry, I guess I didn't structure my thread at all when writing it and I suppose I was in a rush. I didn't exactly mean that I wanted to go into a career straight away from my hobbies which is currently graphic and website design with video editing, but I was hoping to get a part time job in shops as stated above to earn work experience and again to get money in my pocket if I wanted to get anything.  Or if deciding to go and apply for a job at a local PCWorld or Curry's (PC store).

More or less I was wondering if it would be too time consuming to get a job that happened to be near my college that I go to 3 days a week anyway. Or if it was even a good idea to do such. 

8 hours ago, Commedi said:

I've been deciding whether to get a job or not. I'm in full time education in the UK, currently in college studying a level 2 diploma in Information Technology (IT) and I've been looking for jobs with no luck. More or less I'm interested in the whole video editing and graphic scene

Unfortunately I am getting less-confident with job applications and job registrations but that doesn't mean that I'm not doing it, I just have worries building up is all.

With my current situation, would anyone recommend that a job is a good idea for what I want or what career path I should start off with?

No, getting a job is not worth it. Don't do freebies for companies like Mug was suggesting. All art related fields have this same problem where "exposure" http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/exposure/exposure.png

The problem with that system is that your goal is completely reliant on someone who needs your skill to make their company money, and needs to assume that you're a capable person able to do it the first time around without the need of training or having to fire you and hire someone else. This is why they waste time circlejerking employees from other companies even if they've had 5 different jobs in the last week over someone with "no experience" - they think that because someone else hired them that they're capable. It's all about risk factor and you're just another number in the system.

Your best bet is to use your skillset to start your own business. Do it with friends and their skills since they'll have the same problems finding a job for their fields. If your skills are profitable then you should be able to do it. It also shouldn't cost you anything and will build itself up on its own profits.

TLDR: Less applying for jobs, more self-reliant ideas, more making money, more thinking bigger.

1 hour ago, MaxBunny said:

No, getting a job is not worth it. Don't do freebies for companies like Mug was suggesting. All art related fields have this same problem where "exposure" http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/exposure/exposure.png

The problem with that system is that your goal is completely reliant on someone who needs your skill to make their company money, and needs to assume that you're a capable person able to do it the first time around without the need of training or having to fire you and hire someone else. This is why they waste time circlejerking employees from other companies even if they've had 5 different jobs in the last week over someone with "no experience" - they think that because someone else hired them that they're capable. It's all about risk factor and you're just another number in the system.

Your best bet is to use your skillset to start your own business. Do it with friends and their skills since they'll have the same problems finding a job for their fields. If your skills are profitable then you should be able to do it. It also shouldn't cost you anything and will build itself up on its own profits.

TLDR: Less applying for jobs, more self-reliant ideas, more making money, more thinking bigger.

So basically freelance work?

I wouldn't advise stopping your search.  While searching you can often meet people who will have something for you down the line or know someone who will.  That line of work is lousy with jobs via word of mouth.  Simply putting it out there that you have these skills can often be enough to land a job or two.  Someone needs that service quick, someone knows you can do it.  Its not a very clear cut answer but in my experience and in what I have seen, that's how most of it ends up working, at least for a while.

Since you're still in school that means you don't have to put all your effort into finding work at all times, so you can better deal with the waiting and trying.

23 minutes ago, Commedi said:

So basically freelance work?

No. Freelancing is working for any employer that hires you. You're still required to find someone to hire you. Even if you're the best video/graphics guy in the world, you'll lose to someone with more job-acquiring experience that can undercut your rates anyway.

Entrepreneurship is self employment. Your business would not be selling your skill to others, but using your skills to your own profit. So for example, if you consider yourself an artist at your craft you could make videos and graphics and sell these as royalty or royalty free stock. If you're a tech person you could create a backend and sell it to people. The goal is to think bigger than selling yourself for slave labor.

28 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

No. Freelancing is working for any employer that hires you. You're still required to find someone to hire you. Even if you're the best video/graphics guy in the world, you'll lose to someone with more job-acquiring experience that can undercut your rates anyway.

Entrepreneurship is self employment. Your business would not be selling your skill to others, but using your skills to your own profit. So for example, if you consider yourself an artist at your craft you could make videos and graphics and sell these as royalty or royalty free stock. If you're a tech person you could create a backend and sell it to people. The goal is to think bigger than selling yourself for slave labor.

I have to admit I don't like your plan at all. I'm just a school-leaver and I cannot simply do this, I cannot even afford a monitor for my desktop (running off my sister's old monitor setup).

Whilst it's an idea, what I'm at now it's unfortunately a bad idea. It's unfortunate but it's obviously not going to work.

13 minutes ago, Commedi said:

I have to admit I don't like your plan at all. I'm just a school-leaver and I cannot simply do this, I cannot even afford a monitor for my desktop (running off my sister's old monitor setup).

Whilst it's an idea, what I'm at now it's unfortunately a bad idea. It's unfortunate but it's obviously not going to work.

It's not a bad idea. You just have low standards, no vision, and no drive. So you have no desire to succeed, you just want some quick cash. For that you should find your local McD's and apply.

I'll be totally honest, I've been unemployed for over a year (used to build sunroofs) and to be honest nothing much changed in my my house when I was working compared to now, but I'm also holding off on school for a bit longer until things stabilize, though I'm looking for work and have an interview at a laundromat of all places...
Point is, if the jobs you're looking for don't offer you relevant experience in a field you'd want your career to be or doesn’t have much impact on your financial situation, keep looking or hold off on it all together.
Either way, best of luck.   :)

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

6 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

It's not a bad idea. You just have low standards, no vision, and no drive. So you have no desire to succeed, you just want some quick cash. For that you should find your local McD's and apply.

McD's is for high schoolers and newcomers to our country. You usually have to repeat your simple order 3 times, even with the so called "managers" half the time they are not even paying attention.

Quick cash made the smart way is construction. I was going to mention this before, but I didnt feel it fit into what you were asking. Roofing is one example of quick cash. But with any business you need to get customers, that is the key. Lawn maintenance is another one, but thats high turn over and you need a good price point. Snow removal. House cleaning. I have an idea for a business that deals with the aging population. I think old age homes are where its at, because even a shared room, they are paying $2000+/m, the medical side is what eats into profits. Maybe commercial real estate is the cherry top, but need capitol. Room/House rentals is an easier objective to pursue. With good credit a mortgage can be had for 3% with 5% down, so renters pay your mortgage, land tax and the utilities. Problem is evictions, but its easy to get shady on that. Think keypad door locks.

Copper and metal recycling might be your thing. Uber taxi. Truck Driving is an easy job, just stay away from Vac Truck. Taxi driver, a person who speaks fluent english is a rarity these days, especially in the taxi business.

35 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

no thanks.

40 minutes ago, Commedi said:

no thanks.

Frankly, it's a start. Go to McDonald's for a year, and you will have your next job within a month or two. Or you know, sit around on your arse earning diplomas to act as some form of evidence you actually know what you're supposed to be doing, even if it doesn't represent any actual experience in a working enviroment.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but here in the UK, the work is (despite conditions being debatable) easy, and it pays reasonable for your age. Give it half a week of eight hour shifts and you'll be earning over a hundred, and in that year you could probably buy yourself a decent PC a couple times over given the effort.

Saying that, it sounds like you just want things to appear in front of you, which won't last forever.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

13 hours ago, Mug said:

Nothing says hire me better than a portfolio of work. Currently looking for work and in a few interviews, they noted how it was nice to have a look at my coding skills.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, Crowes said:

Frankly, it's a start. Go to McDonald's for a year, and you will have your next job within a month or two. Or you know, sit around on your arse earning diplomas to act as some form of evidence you actually know what you're supposed to be doing, even if it doesn't represent any actual experience in a working enviroment.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but here in the UK, the work is (despite conditions being debatable) easy, and it pays reasonable for your age. Give it half a week of eight hour shifts and you'll be earning over a hundred, and in that year you could probably buy yourself a decent PC a couple times over given the effort.

Saying that, it sounds like you just want things to appear in front of you, which won't last forever.

"no thanks" wasn't exactly my intention to saying "I don't want to work for money but I still want the money" or similar. It was my ultimate conclusion of the whole idea of making a business with the lack of funds I already don't even have. However the jobs I have applied for are for customer service, which can go on to McDonalds for cashier work but I've found an alternative store that's recruiting. Plus, I pretty much agree with everything you just said but I still haven't got a specific answer if I should wait until the end of my course to continue looking for work or if I should look whilst in full time education.

It's a perfectly good idea, just remember that this is something that may or may not happen for someone your age, experience, and education. In other words, enjoy the fact that your first occupation still is studying, do it, and look for a job that would work for you (in terms of interest, pay, and compatibility with your studies) without the worries of a middle-aged dad who has to find a job asap. At 17, you may reach your medium term goals through many paths, some including a job now, some without it.

Why do you want to work for somebody else? Why not start your own business and be your own boss while you can afford to take the risk?

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Why do you want to work for somebody else? Why not start your own business and be your own boss while you can afford to take the risk?

look above.

1 minute ago, Commedi said:

look above.

Can you point me in the right direction? There's a lot of text above. :)

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Can you point me in the right direction? There's a lot of text above. :)

tl;Dr school leaver with no money whatsoever to start a business. Don't want to take loans due to stress and I just want a part time job (if its the suggested call to try and get myself employed) instead of getting myself in full time entrepreneurship.

Just now, Commedi said:

tl;Dr school leaver with no money whatsoever to start a business. Don't want to take loans due to stress and I just want a part time job (if its the suggested call to try and get myself employed) instead of getting myself in full time entrepreneurship.

So you're leaving school and unsure if you should get a job or not? This thread is a bit confusing for me so I apologize in advance.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

So you're leaving school and unsure if you should get a job or not? This thread is a bit confusing for me so I apologize in advance.

no problem. Basically what you just said.

14 hours ago, Commedi said:

Hello.

I've been deciding whether to get a job or not. I'm in full time education in the UK, currently in college studying a level 2 diploma in Information Technology (IT) and I've been looking for jobs with no luck. More or less I'm interested in the whole video editing and graphic scene but I feel as though that I know a lot more about website design and development than what I want to do in itself. Regardless, I've been trying to get a job personally and haven't had any luck, as of which my personal reasons are for job experience and obviously having more money than I currently have in my pocket so I can upgrade more on my desktop.

You can go onto fiverr.com and sell your services. Though not the best source of money, most of the popular services are with technology of some sort. Heck, the guy that made ThioJoe's channel trailer is on there. I would check it out.

i like trains 🙂

Wait, I totally forgot websites like these existed. Thanks a bunch dude!