GTX 1060 3GB vs GTX 970 4GB - Which is better for 1080p ULTRA?

Freezanator

I'm searching for a GPU for my friend and he will only be playing games such as League of Legends and Team Fortress 2. The 970 costs 880 MYR while the 1060 3GB costs 939 MYR. Which one is more suitable for his type of games at 1080p ULTRA while getting good frame rates?
*MYR = Malaysian Ringgit

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

just based on raw performance the 1060 is better,but if you can get your hands on a used 970 i'd go for that

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

The 1060 is probably better, but how much does the 6GB 1060 costs? Also check the prices for the RX 470 and the RX 480.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

The 1060 is probably better, but how much does the 6GB 1060 costs? Also check the prices for the RX 470 and the RX 480.

The 1060 6GB costs 1139 MYR. My friend also only wants Nvidia cards. He's a fanboy :P:P:P 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

2 minutes ago, McHox said:

just based on raw performance the 1060 is better,but if you can get your hands on a used 970 i'd go for that

Yes, there are a couple used GPUs on my local online store. Are GPUs a PC part which are safe to get second-hand?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

The 1060 6GB costs 1139 MYR. My friend also only wants Nvidia cards. He's a fanboy :P:P:P 

Tell him to stop being one.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

Yes, there are a couple used GPUs on my local online store. Are GPUs a PC part which are safe to get second-hand?

If you can test it before making the payment then it is safe.

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Tell him to stop being one.

Anyways, since he's gaming not-so-demanding games like LoL and TF2, would the 970 4GB cut it at 1080p ULTRA at 60 FPS or close to that frame rate?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

Depends which 970 you get.

If he can get a OCed 970 for around 200 USD that's a steal

but other than that, if you can't get the 970 at that price just go for the 1060.

10 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Anyways, since he's gaming not-so-demanding games like LoL and TF2, would the 970 4GB cut it at 1080p ULTRA at 60 FPS or close to that frame rate?

Yes, but why not pick the 1060? It's faster and comes with newer features. If you want a 970 its better to get it used since they are cheap there.

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Tom.JK said:

Check his PSU if it has the right conectors.

I'm not sure if his PSU has enough power connectors. It is a EVGA 500B Non-modular PSU.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

11 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

I'm not sure if his PSU has enough power connectors. It is a EVGA 500B Non-modular PSU.

Just admit that it is for you instead of a friend...

You've been asking alot for opinions which is good but it seems like you're not satisfied with the answers and you're bringing your 'friend' in.

The way you type is like you're going to splurge your whole savings on this, you want to be 100% sure on what you buy so that you won't regret it later, if that's the case then don't, just save up more.

Pretty sure you haven't bought anything yet so at this point, it's better if you just list out your exact budget + any personal preference that you have and where you're buying them from then we go from there, really.

47 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Even a RX460 2GB would be more than enough to run any esports game @ 1080p with maxed settings. So, yes, both card would be just fine in LOL & TF2 with max settings @ 1080p. But I would like to recommend getting the 6GB version.

1 hour ago, Freezanator said:

I'm searching for a GPU for my friend and he will only be playing games such as League of Legends and Team Fortress 2. The 970 costs 880 MYR while the 1060 3GB costs 939 MYR. Which one is more suitable for his type of games at 1080p ULTRA while getting good frame rates?
*MYR = Malaysian Ringgit

if he is only playing games like that,he should just get a 950,those games aren't even demanding.i have been playing leauge of legends on all high settings and been getting 180 fps on a gt 730

1 hour ago, Ichi said:

You've been asking alot for opinions which is good but it seems like you're not satisfied with the answers and you're bringing your 'friend' in.

The way you type is like you're going to splurge your whole savings on this, you want to be 100% sure on what you buy so that you won't regret it later, if that's the case then don't, just save up more.

Pretty sure you haven't bought anything yet so at this point, it's better if you just list out your exact budget + any personal preference that you have and where you're buying them from then we go from there, really.

No, it's for my friend. He's interested in a budget build too. Want some screenshots? He doesn't know much on hardware, so I'm asking you guys to help out. Yes, I haven't bought anything, but he's planning on getting a near-exact build of mine (but cheaper parts and a 1080p monitor) in a few weeks' time.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

1 hour ago, Ichi said:

And one more thing. I don't play LoL (I hate mainstream stuff) and I've never heard of TF2 till he told me.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

7 minutes ago, Rickie cheong said:

if he is only playing games like that,he should just get a 950,those games aren't even demanding.i have been playing leauge of legends on all high settings and been getting 180 fps on a gt 730

I concur, GTX750ti, GTX950, or wait for GTX1050, and that would be sufficient for any esports game. Even can still manage triple A title with lower settings. On AMD side, pick any R7 class, or RX460.

1 hour ago, Ichi said:

just list out your exact budget + any personal preference that you have and where you're buying them from then we go from there, really.

As for listing out MY exact budget, it's 3000 MYR (preferably a decent gap below this amount). I'm getting all my parts from Lazada Malaysia and so far, here is my planned build:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 @3.7 GHz 
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 1x 8GB DDR4 @2133 MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2 DDR4

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 Amp! Edition 3GB GDDR5
SSD: PenDrive 128GB Rapid-X SSD 
HDD: WD Blue 500GB HDD @7200 RPM
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Silver 550W Fully Modular PSU
Case: Tecware F3 Mini Tower Gaming Case (White)

WiFi: TP-Link TL-WND3200 N600 Dual-Band Wireless USB Adapter

Total price: 3010 MYR including shipping and delivery

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

3 hours ago, Freezanator said:

As for listing out MY exact budget, it's 3000 MYR (preferably a decent gap below this amount). I'm getting all my parts from Lazada Malaysia and so far, here is my planned build:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 @3.7 GHz 
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 1x 8GB DDR4 @2133 MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2 DDR4

SSD: PenDrive 128GB Rapid-X SSD 
HDD: WD Blue 500GB HDD @7200 RPM
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Silver 550W Fully Modular PSU
Case: Tecware F3 Mini Tower Gaming Case (White)

WiFi: TP-Link TL-WND3200 N600 Dual-Band Wireless USB Adapter

Total price: 3010 MYR including shipping and delivery

My opinion would be there's alot of parts that could've been better given some more cash.

Of course you can upgrade down the line but that route will definitely cost you more in the long run.

Are you a student?

Do you have any steady income? Such as fixed pocket money where you can let's say skip meals to add more to the budget.

Here's what I see :

-i3 is definitely okay but if you can get an i5 that would be perfect.

-8GB RAM and cheap mobo is fine, functional.

-1060 3GB, just scrap another RM200 for 6GB version, will serve you better, some games easily use more than 3GB VRAM and when you run out of VRAM, you get stutters and FPS drops.

-Storage wise, you really can't do much with 128GB SSD and 500GB HDD will be full in no time given the size of games nowadays.

240GB SSD + 1TB HDD are the common setup now.

PSU is fine.

Case is personal choice.

That OS though, why not W10?

I don't know how much all the 'upgrades' going to cost you but if it's let's say 'doable' then you can consider it.

If not, then just get what you picked and upgrade slowly in the future if you feel it is necessary.

And dayum, MYR value is just.....

On 10/10/2016 at 2:24 AM, Ichi said:

My opinion would be there's alot of parts that could've been better given some more cash.

Of course you can upgrade down the line but that route will definitely cost you more in the long run.

Are you a student?

Do you have any steady income? Such as fixed pocket money where you can let's say skip meals to add more to the budget.

Here's what I see :

-i3 is definitely okay but if you can get an i5 that would be perfect.

-8GB RAM and cheap mobo is fine, functional.

-1060 3GB, just scrap another RM200 for 6GB version, will serve you better, some games easily use more than 3GB VRAM and when you run out of VRAM, you get stutters and FPS drops.

-Storage wise, you really can't do much with 128GB SSD and 500GB HDD will be full in no time given the size of games nowadays.

240GB SSD + 1TB HDD are the common setup now.

PSU is fine.

Case is personal choice.

That OS though, why not W10?

I don't know how much all the 'upgrades' going to cost you but if it's let's say 'doable' then you can consider it.

If not, then just get what you picked and upgrade slowly in the future if you feel it is necessary.

And dayum, MYR value is just.....

This setup is for 768p, which a 1060 3GB would do great at. Also, I'm not going to buy games like every month. Probably on a rate of 2 games per year, so I think a 120GB SSD and a 500GB HDD would do just fine. I'm not a power user. I just want performance when I need it. And about the OS, upgrades to Windows 10 are still free for assistive technology users. So I'll get Windows 10 for RM200 less. And yeah, I agree on the value of MYR. Dumb government just screwing currency up to satisfy their greediness.

I got hold of this company called RexSenpai Gaming on Facebook and they allowed me to customize my PC and they are giving Windows 10 Pro for free a functional PC build which means I'll get the HDD and GPU myself. I think I'll go with this offer. I'll BOLD parts that I have changed.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2
RAM: Apacer 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL15

SSD: Adata SSD 120GB 2.5"
HDD: WD Blue 1TB HDD 7200RPM 

PSU: Super Flower Leadex Silver 550W Fully Modular PSU

Case: Tecware F3 Mini Tower Gaming Case (White)

Total price - 2900 MYR

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

2 hours ago, Freezanator said:

This setup is for 768p, which a 1060 3GB would do great at. Also, I'm not going to buy games like every month. Probably on a rate of 2 games per year, so I think a 120GB SSD and a 500GB HDD would do just fine. I'm not a power user. I just want performance when I need it. And about the OS, upgrades to Windows 10 are still free for assistive technology users. So I'll get Windows 10 for RM200 less. And yeah, I agree on the value of MYR. Dumb government just screwing currency up to satisfy their greediness.

I got hold of this company called RexSenpai Gaming on Facebook and they allowed me to customize my PC and they are giving Windows 10 Pro for free a functional PC build which means I'll get the HDD and GPU myself. I think I'll go with this offer. I'll BOLD parts that I have changed.

Total price - 2900 MYR

Any RAM would do so that doesn't really matter.

That storage choice is much better now.

If you have no plan to upgrade your monitor then that's fine I guess...

And yes, generally if the store offer free hardware installation, just take it.

At least it is certainly going to work, if you buy parts and it's DOA, then it's a hassle to return it and you have to wait longer for it.

Overall, this looks good for your usage.

I would say get the best you can afford depending if its short term or long term. For a long term upgrade get the best GPU you can. For a short term upgrade get a GPU that does more than you need it too.

Some older games can still be demanding even on 1080p. Try maxing out serious sam 3 BFE. The rx 480 can max it out in areas with buildings at 50 fps (overclocked) but go to areas where theres grass and trees and the fps drops well below 20.

For me its more of a choice of programming, Since i do openCL AMD is a clear choice for me as nvidia's latest one is 1.2 whereas AMD and intel support openCL 2 (even on intel IGP).

You should also consider other features too like freesync or gsync, physx, newer APIs like dx12, vulkan. Some features can influence the cost directly such as between a gsync or freesync monitor.

If you play demanding games, ultra settings at 1080P can easily go over 3GB but not by much. However some games can easily use 4GB of vram or more.

5 hours ago, Freezanator said:

Total price - 2900 MYR

call me rude if you will,but i think these parts could be cheaper if you buy them from amazon.a gtx 1070 can cost around rm 2200 all the way up to rm2600,whereas if you buy from amazon the price will be from rm 1800 to rm2000