Canon 550D recording 'issue'(?)

Hey guys! I got myself a second hand Canon EOS 550D with a Tamron 17-50 lens and SanDisk 32GB SD Card (45MB/s write, 90MB/s read(empty, formatted it in camera menu before I started recording)) and after I tested what kind of pics it makes, I wanted to try recording with it.

First thing I wanted to make was a time lapse, but after 10-15 minutes of recording, it stops recording and I get this message on the display:

Movierecording has stopped automatically. Does anyone know if I can fix this?

I have set auto-turn off to unlimited. And after 12 minutes of recording 1080P 24fps, the video file is 4GB (out of 32GB SD card)

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

i own this camera
it stops recording because the sensor overheats, its a common issue with the EOS Rebel models

the only timelapse i have do with it is astro-timelapses at night, and thats just photos, not video

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

i own this camera
it stops recording because the sensor overheats, its a common issue with the EOS Rebel models

the only timelapse i have do with it is astro-timelapses at night, and thats just photos, not video

I read this on another forum:  The card is formated with a FAT32 filesystem so that it can be commonly read by any PC, Mac, Linux, etc. computer.  But this filesystem has a 4GB filesize limit.  No single file can be larger than this.  You'd have to stop and start a new recording so that it records to a second file.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

3 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I read this on another forum:  The card is formated with a FAT32 filesystem so that it can be commonly read by any PC, Mac, Linux, etc. computer.  But this filesystem has a 4GB filesize limit.  No single file can be larger than this.  You'd have to stop and start a new recording so that it records to a second file.

that makes sense too
honestly i used to shoot weddings and commericals on this camera at one point but it was only small clips at a time

ill try to replicate the issue when i get home but i imagine even if you could get around the 4gb limit the sensor would still overheat after a few minutes of continuous recording

Photography / Finance / Gaming

It stops if the file is bigger than 4GB or the single video clip is longer than 29min and 59sec

Why do you need to record video to do timelapse? Is your plan to do something else than timelapse with the video, or are the timlapse not going to be that much sped up?

Normal timlapse is done by taking a picture once every 2 sec or more (depending on how fast forward you want it to be) and then made in to a video afterwards.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Have you considered using Magic Lantern? I use this with my t3i and a dummy battery to keep the battery outside the body of the camera to mitigate some of the heating issues. If it's a hot day... well... nothing's going to keep it from overheating.