Surface Pro 4 OR Razer Blade Stealth

Well, my MacBook Pro just broke yesterday and so I'm in need of a new laptop for college. I've narrowed my options down to either the Razer Blade Stealth or the Surface Pro 4. I personally think the SP4 is a better device for note taking during class and homework, but the RBS can connect to the Core (ignore the overpriced nature of the box) for when I want to game (I will then build my own gaming PC). If I went with the SP4, I will be picking up a gaming laptop.

What do you guys think? Which device would be a better productivity device for college (that can do it's job and last 4 years).

I use a SP4 for college on a daily basis, it's lovely. Depends on what subject(s) you're studying really. Personally I study maths which is why I went for a stylus over a full keyboard. 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

4 minutes ago, Jekub said:

I use a SP4 for college on a daily basis, it's lovely. Depends on what subject(s) you're studying really. Personally I study maths which is why I went for a stylus over a full keyboard. 

I thought the stylus and keyboard would both be great for taking notes and writing papers respectively, but the extra cost is annoying.

Just now, Stanturbo said:

I thought the stylus and keyboard would both be great for taking notes and writing papers respectively, but the extra cost is annoying.

I would actually wait for the Pro 5. The Pro 5 will probably launch within the month and will most likely be a solid choice.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would actually wait for the Pro 5. The Pro 5 will probably launch within the month and will most likely be a solid choice.

I don't think this is likely as Microsoft haven't released information on the Pro 5 at all, there are also no leaks about it or anything.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

17 minutes ago, Stanturbo said:

I personally think the SP4 is a better device for note taking during class and homework, but the RBS can connect to the Core (ignore the overpriced nature of the box) for when I want to game (I will then build my own gaming PC). If I went with the SP4, I will be picking up a gaming laptop.

This makes 0 sense to me. Firstly you forgot that the RBS still bottleneck THE SHIT out of any GPU you put into the overpriced core because it's worse than a desktop i3 equivalent due to thermals and tdp limitations. Secondly you mentioned you will build a gaming PC, so why buy the core. Thirdly what do you mean if you pick up a SP4, you will get a gaming laptop? Why not either grab the SP4 build a desktop or just grab a gaming laptop and use that for school.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 minutes ago, Jekub said:

I don't think this is likely as Microsoft haven't released information on the Pro 5 at all, there are also no leaks about it or anything.

The Surface devices always launch in October or November.

if OP wants to buy the Pro 4 then it will still be a great device but the Pro 5 will contain new features and tech.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Or the Surface Book 2. I almost spent all my money on the first one, because it had sooooooooo good specs. 
Don't forget, that the Book 1 had a dedicated, ATTACHABLE GPU in it's keyboard. I bet a digital beer, that the Book 2 will have thunderbolt to enjoy whatever GPU you want, and touchscreen with stylus to take notes during the day.
Tablet in the streets, Gaming in the sheets ;)

So yeah, I suggest you wait a bit longer with me (I use the first generation Surface pro) and let us enjoy the Surface Book 2

Just now, thewipyk said:

Or the Surface Book 2. I almost spent all my money on the first one, because it had sooooooooo good specs. 
Don't forget, that the Book 1 had a dedicated, ATTACHABLE GPU in it's keyboard. I bet a digital beer, that the Book 2 will have thunderbolt to enjoy whatever GPU you want, and touchscreen with stylus to take notes during the day.
Tablet in the streets, Gaming in the sheets ;)

So yeah, I suggest you wait a bit longer with me (I use the first generation Surface pro) and let us enjoy the Surface Book 2

It already has a stylus and touchscreen though...........

I was so close to buying Surface Book but it came down to price......

If it improves on the surface book and has tb3 and a low voltage quad core, I will buy the surface book 2 at $2200+ usd at the drop of a hat. The problem was that the surface pro 4 was actually cheaper and faster than the surface book

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't have the option of waiting a month is the problem... 

5 hours ago, Pendragon said:

This makes 0 sense to me. Firstly you forgot that the RBS still bottleneck THE SHIT out of any GPU you put into the overpriced core because it's worse than a desktop i3 equivalent due to thermals and tdp limitations. Secondly you mentioned you will build a gaming PC, so why buy the core. Thirdly what do you mean if you pick up a SP4, you will get a gaming laptop? Why not either grab the SP4 build a desktop or just grab a gaming laptop and use that for school.

I still need a gaming laptop if I get the SP4 because I can't be moving my desktop and its peripherals to and from my dorm every week (since i spend every weekend away from campus). As to getting a gaming laptop and using that for class, I have thought of that... Especially the XPS 15. However, my first priority is having sth portable for class.

6 hours ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

I'd grab myself a new MacBook Pro honestly, in any case I very much advice you against spending money on a "gaming laptop".

@Stanturbo Gaming laptops don't really have much added value if you already have a portable machine. Build a desktop for gaming instead. Upgradability, better performance/$$$ and generally better gaming experience is what you can get from a desktop vs. a gaming laptop. So unless you'd rather have another laptop for some reason (there are legitimate reasons such as frequent LAN parties or space constraints), desktop is the way to go.

MacBook Pro, Surface Pro4 and Blade Stealth are all excellent options. The stylus is great for taking notes, many people in my course have it for that reason. You should wait for the Kaby Lake MBP, Blade Stealth, Surface Pro5 respectively if you can!

EDIT: Okay, i get that you can't use a desktop for that reason, maybe the Razer Blade 14 would be an option? Still quite portable and will handle gaming well?

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

4 minutes ago, steffen_anywhere said:

MacBook Pro, Surface Pro4 and Blade Stealth are all excellent options. The stylus is great for taking notes, many people in my course have it for that reason. You should wait for the Kaby Lake MBP, Blade Stealth, Surface Pro5 respectively if you can!

The build quality and QC of the Blade/s are pretty shit. I wouldn't call them excellent options. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The build quality and QC of the Blade/s are pretty shit. I wouldn't call them excellent options. 

Really? I've never owned one, but for that much money that would not be ok.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

1 hour ago, steffen_anywhere said:

Really? I've never owned one, but for that much money that would not be ok.

Yeah, the Razer Blade seems to have overheating and throttling issues

8 hours ago, Jekub said:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-schedules-its-fall-hardware-event-for-october-26/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=22647514458074076959149493483122

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

40 minutes ago, Jekub said:

This doesn't mention anything about their surface pro.

I mentions to expect surface device news though.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday