Attach new fan to CPU cooler?

3 Minute Reviewer

Hey there! Do you know if I would be able to attach a 120mm fan to a be quite dark rock 3 instead of the stock one? I was think or the corsair AF120

Looks like it, but why? The fan that comes with beQuiet coolers is excellent.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Looks like it, but why? The fan that comes with beQuiet coolers is excellent.

Ah okay, well that's even better then haha :) maybe I'll do a push pull confit if I have the space 

1 minute ago, kmathieu2220 said:

Ah okay, well that's even better then haha :) maybe I'll do a push pull confit if I have the space 

Push-pull on a single-tower heatsink usually results in one degree shaved off and a lot of money wasted in my experience. Why do you want to add another fan? What kind of temperatures are you getting, and what CPU do you have under there?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Push-pull on a single-tower heatsink usually results in one degree shaved off and a lot of money wasted in my experience. Why do you want to add another fan? What kind of temperatures are you getting, and what CPU do you have under there?

See good thing I asked haha. I'm yet to build but I'm getting an i7 6700k. This started because I was concerned about having negative air pressure in my case so I was thinking to take out and exhaust fan and add it to the CPU cooler but I realized I'll just use 2 140s for intake and 2 120s for exhaust and that'll be good to go and I'll leave just the one fan ok the CPU cooler to push air through to the back

5 minutes ago, kmathieu2220 said:

See good thing I asked haha. I'm yet to build but I'm getting an i7 6700k. This started because I was concerned about having negative air pressure in my case so I was thinking to take out and exhaust fan and add it to the CPU cooler but I realized I'll just use 2 140s for intake and 2 120s for exhaust and that'll be good to go and I'll leave just the one fan ok the CPU cooler to push air through to the back

I like that idea a lot more than push-pull on a single-tower cooler lol

Yeah, you should be good. Keep in mind that obstructions like dust filters and drive cages will lower the airflow through your intake fans a bit. I usually set SpeedFan up so that two intake fans and one exhaust fan are always running, and extra intakes and exhausts kick in only when temperatures start getting toasty.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I like that idea a lot more than push-pull on a single-tower cooler lol

Yeah, you should be good. Keep in mind that obstructions like dust filters and drive cages will lower the airflow through your intake fans a bit. I usually set SpeedFan up so that two intake fans and one exhaust fan are always running, and extra intakes and exhausts kick in only when temperatures start getting toasty.

Haha yeah this makes more sense for sure. If I attached a link to my build list would you mind just telling me fan placement/sizes to use?

Just now, kmathieu2220 said:

Haha yeah this makes more sense for sure. If I attached a link to my build list would you mind just telling me fan placement/sizes to use?

Sure thing, post it on up. Have you already bought all the components, or are you open to suggestions if something looks like it can be improved upon?

Just now, aisle9 said:

Sure thing, post it on up. Have you already bought all the components, or are you open to suggestions if something looks like it can be improved upon?

The only part that has been purchased is the graphics card. I'm totally open to suggestions but feel pretty strongly about a black/red theme haha.  

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kmathieu2220/saved/BD6hMp

1 minute ago, kmathieu2220 said:

The only part that has been purchased is the graphics card. I'm totally open to suggestions but feel pretty strongly about a black/red theme haha.  

I don't see anything that really jumps out at me as easily improved upon or a particularly bad value, so congrats. You've done your homework.

I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended) of Corsair fans. They do a lot of things really well, but their fans are a little louder and less effective than other brands. Noctuas are my absolute favorites, with Cougar, beQuiet, Phanteks, Cryorig and Aerocool not too far behind. Corsair fans aren't bad (ok, the LED fans are) and you'd be in fine shape with them, I just think there are better values out there.

Knowing the S340 and the front cover it has, you're going to lose a lot of airflow to those 140s. I'd put both of them up front, then put the two 120mm exhaust fans in back, with one on the top of the case pulling hot air off of the CPU heatsink. Now, the fun part: I'd use SpeedFan to set up that top exhaust so that it doesn't even kick in until 65-70C. It lets you keep positive pressure going under normal operation while giving you a hot air vacuum when things get hot.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I don't see anything that really jumps out at me as easily improved upon or a particularly bad value, so congrats. You've done your homework.

I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended) of Corsair fans. They do a lot of things really well, but their fans are a little louder and less effective than other brands. Noctuas are my absolute favorites, with Cougar, beQuiet, Phanteks, Cryorig and Aerocool not too far behind. Corsair fans aren't bad (ok, the LED fans are) and you'd be in fine shape with them, I just think there are better values out there.

Knowing the S340 and the front cover it has, you're going to lose a lot of airflow to those 140s. I'd put both of them up front, then put the two 120mm exhaust fans in back, with one on the top of the case pulling hot air off of the CPU heatsink. Now, the fun part: I'd use SpeedFan to set up that top exhaust so that it doesn't even kick in until 65-70C. It lets you keep positive pressure going under normal operation while giving you a hot air vacuum when things get hot.

Thanks man I've been going over this build for like two months since it'll be my first build haha, I'm excited to finally start buying the pieces :D as for the fans, do you have any specific suggestions that still are black or black/red and in a similar 50-70 price range to cover all of the fans? And what is SpeedFan? It sounds cool hahha

5 minutes ago, kmathieu2220 said:

Thanks man I've been going over this build for like two months since it'll be my first build haha, I'm excited to finally start buying the pieces :D as for the fans, do you have any specific suggestions that still are black or black/red and in a similar 50-70 price range to cover all of the fans? And what is SpeedFan? It sounds cool hahha

Not off the top of my head, and I'm typing this from bed lol. Just check the brands above on Newegg. Can't really go wrong with any of them imo.

SpeedFan is fan control software. Setup the first time is a bit intimidating, but Jayztwocents did a great video on it. The software is free and it honestly beats the hell out of any motherboard OEM software I've seen, so it's worth a look.

24 minutes ago, kmathieu2220 said:

you don't need that many fans

otherwise, totally shoulda just grab an RX 480 man, that way you could get a free-sync display for not much more

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Not off the top of my head, and I'm typing this from bed lol. Just check the brands above on Newegg. Can't really go wrong with any of them imo.

SpeedFan is fan control software. Setup the first time is a bit intimidating, but Jayztwocents did a great video on it. The software is free and it honestly beats the hell out of any motherboard OEM software I've seen, so it's worth a look.

Okay perfect! Once I get it all set up I'll be sure to download it and watch that video. I think I'm gonna go with the couger vortex btw, 2x120pwm and 2x140

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

you don't need that many fans

otherwise, totally shoulda just grab an RX 480 man, that way you could get a free-sync display for not much more

It's okay I'm happy with the 1070 :) and noise isn't too much of an issue so I figured might as well keep the air moving haha. Worst case I'll just take one out and hold as back up if one craps out on me 

Just now, kmathieu2220 said:

the case should come with enough fans for enough airflow

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?