Monitor mix(gaming)

Commodore Sim

Hey LTT community, new poster here.

I'm looking for some help choosing which displays to buy for my shiny new gaming rig.  Basically I want your help spending my money, who doesn't like doing that.

Quick background.  I'm moving to desktop from an old Dell XPS gaming laptop.  So I have zero hardware, complete clean slate.  There PC itself will cost me around $2500 CAD and that leaves around $1000-1200 in the budget for displays.  Also I'll have to factor in Graphic needs for whatever display.  Basically I'm aiming 1060 which leaves me more money for a better SSD or I have to take money away from SSD and buy the 1070.

I suspect someone to try to push AMD GPU but I'm sticking with Nvidia for the moment.  The only reason I even bring GPU up is in case 1060 won't support the display combination.

Also if it comes to people linking suggestions, all displays must have vesa mounts, as I may buy a cockpit desk which requires the monitors be hung.  And I want a maximum of two displays, no triple monitor.

So I've had my own opinions on the matter coming in but they were soon tarnished as I was told that it was extremely best practice to have identical matching displays.  Note: I would only run games on one display no "bar in the middle."

So I've sorted it into a series of different scenarios, I don't know which are best practice or even possible, that's why I'm here after all.

Option 1: Two 27"(or 28" if the price is right) 16:9 displays either at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440.  Both fast response gaming displays.  I'll probably go for the 1440 option but I'm not taking 1080 of the table.

Pros: We know it'll work, everything is built for this aspect ratio.

Cons: Price.  Second display is over powered for the non gaming it'll be displaying.  Second display eats up a lot of space.

Conclusion: I don't like this option and am desperate for alternatives.

Option 2: One 27" UHD gaming display(same as option 1).  And a second cheaper probably through lesser response and refresh rate display still running at same size and resolution as the gaming primary. No game sync either on the secondary.

Pros: Brings the price down, minimal compromise.

Cons: doesn't solve the space issue. Might have pairing issues as it doesn't perfect match.

Conclusion: A compromise I can live with but still a lesser option.

Option 3: Basically option 2 but with a much cheaper secondary.  24" 1080p for the secondary, same grade A 27" primary.

Pros: Best budget choice. Starts to address space issue.

Cons: lots of mismatching, can the video card do this?

Conclusion: This is where I thought I'd be at the beginning of this endeavor.  But was recommended away from it towards Option 1, still I'm very comfortable with this option as far as all the other factors go.

So the above was all based on Plan A got to have those dual monitors.  But recently I started thinking outside the box.

Option 4: Single display 3440x1440 34" 21:9 curved gaming display.

Pros: gives me the single monolithic gaming display I realized was what I wanted.  Solves the space issue. Probably lets me keep to a cheaper GPU.

Cons: No second display, lack of 21:9 support in many games.

Mitigations: I'm coming from laptop gaming so single display isn't earth crushing to me. There's always windowed mode.

Conclusion: This is where I feel the most comfortable out of the current options.

Option 5/option 4b/option 3 redux/wildcard: option 4 probably saturates the budget so this would be a down the road option.  Basically get the option 4 ultra wide screen and add a small cheap 24" second monitor as option 3 suggests.

Pros: secondary display, monolithic primary, cheap secondary.

Cons: horribly mismatched in every way possible inc resolution, response rate, and aspect ratio. most space required.

Conclusion: this is basically my dream configuration.  Because I'd buy the second display later I have time to address the space concern. But I'm not sure this is even possible.

There you have it.  5 options, 2 rational, 1 reasonable, and 2 a little more crazy.  I'd love to hear any opinions on this matter and please highlight any assumptions I've made that are wrong.

get either 1 or 3, there are no problems with using two different displays exept the colors might not be exactly the same, but with some color correction most of that can be fixed. also if you are getting a 1060 then dont go 1440p, go 1080p

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks for the reply Bsplit.

I'm ok with upgrading to a 1070, my personal default is 1440 until someone talks me out of it.

You say option 3 which is one of the two mismatch options, does that mean option 5 might be possible?  Is mismatching a load of bollox?