R9 280X not recognized by PC

LukusAurelius

My PC stopped recognizing my R9 280X. It doesn't show up in Windows device manager, and the AMD graphics driver installer does not detect it either.  I am currently using the default Windows graphics drivers.

Here's what happened:

My wifi adapter was acting up. It would disappear from Device Manager and just show up as an unknown device. Restarting my PC temporarily fixed this. I decided to reinstall its drivers. While the installer was running, my computer suddenly restarted. By suddenly, I mean installer one second, mobo boot image the next. When Windows loaded up, my wifi adapter was working, but the default graphics driver was active. I tried opening Radeon settings to troubleshoot, but it said that no drivers were installed. Next, I downloaded AMD's latest GPU drivers, but on the install selection screen, only "Application Profiles" and "AMD Install Manager" were shown. I proceeded to uninstall the drivers via the driver installer, after which I attempted to install them again. I was greeted with the same screen. I downloaded the AMD chipset drivers just to be sure, but its installer showed the same options. The Internet suggested booting into safe mode and using Guru3D's driver clean tool. That didn't help at all. In Device Manager, my card does not show up; there is only an unknown device.

I have 2 monitors; one uses HDMI and the other uses DVI. The DVI monitor is my secondary, and it does not display anything when the default graphics drivers are active. It does show my mobo's boot logo, however. My GPU is definitely still functioning, as the monitors were plugged into it through all of this, but it seems to be unrecognized by Windows.

System info:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA78LMT-USB3 rev 5

CPU: AMD FX-6300

RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3

GPU: AMD R9 280X

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold

SSD (C:): Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD (H:): WD Black 1TB

Wifi Adapter: Edimax AC-1200

When I get home (around 22:00 UTC), I will try taking the graphics card out and putting it back in. If you need more info or clarification, please ask! 

Try cleaning off the pci-e slots with a bit of rubbing alcohol (70% is ok but 90% would be perfect)

moop

just making sure, you booted into safe mode and ran DDU, then restarted your PC into normal mode and tried to install the latest drivers? just makeing sure cuz you never know. if you did that correctly then try taking out the GPU and cleaning the PCI-e slot from any dust and then trying again, also check all cables just in case. check if the GPU fans are spinning too and look for visual damage to anything on the PCB without taking off the cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just making sure, you booted into safe mode and ran DDU, then restarted your PC into normal mode and tried to install the latest drivers? just makeing sure cuz you never know. if you did that correctly then try taking out the GPU and cleaning the PCI-e slot from any dust and then trying again, also check all cables just in case. check if the GPU fans are spinning too and look for visual damage to anything on the PCB without taking off the cooler

I did try to install the latest drivers after DDU. It didn't work. I will try to clean the PCIe slot now with isopropanol and/or canned air.  I still suspect a software issue, but we'll see.

7 minutes ago, LukusAurelius said:

I did try to install the latest drivers after DDU. It didn't work. I will try to clean the PCIe slot now with isopropanol and/or canned air.  I still suspect a software issue, but we'll see.

you could try reinstall the OS, but worst case you have bricked your GPU or killed your PCI-e slot

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you could try reinstall the OS, but worst case you have bricked your GPU or killed your PCI-e slot

Cleaning it did not work. I really doubt that the PCI-e slot is dead or that the GPU is bricked; I am running my display with the video card right now,  albeit sans official drivers. Is there any other course of action other than reinstalling Windows? I don't want to deal with reinstalling all of my programs.

5 hours ago, LukusAurelius said:

I overlooked an easy solution: System Restore. It's fixed now.

was about to mention that but if it works thats great :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 3 years later...

i c your post was a couple of years ago... but having the same probleme how did you fix it

i c your post was a couple of years ago... but having the same probleme how did you fix it