Age of Mythology: no longer working in Windows 10

ej24

I recently went to play Age of Mythology on Steam just for a quick skirmish only to get an error saying AoM failed to launch. I get the launcher window, followed by a brief splash screen but then it fails. I have steam cloud disabled to make sure no weird settings are carried over from another PC like trying to launch at 4k on an anemic ultrabook. I uninstalled and reinstalled AoM. Still not working. Set compatibility to run as administrator in Windows 7 and 8 modes. Still nothing. I tried on all my PC's (all running Win 10 Pro) and to my surprise, none of them worked. Tried my GF's thinkpad running 10 Pro, won't work on that either. I ran AoM previously on Win 10, maybe a couple moths ago so it's not an outright compatibility issue, but now it's not working on any Windows 10 PC I own. A quick google search didn't yield any recent complaints, I didn't see anything on the steam forums either. So what the hell is wrong with Age of Myth? Is it a recent Windows 10 update causing the issue? All my systems are Windows 10 Pro build 10586 (that is to say, not AE yet). Anyone else experience this?

I mostly play AoEHD (AoC) but I also have AoM and RoN on Steam. I'll try to install and play it (W10 pro too), will come back ;).

EDIT: Actually I still had the game installed and it works fine...

I should mention, the other SkyBox Labs Games are fine, AoE HD, RoN on steam are both running.

I have tried on a range of hardware. Ivy Bridge mobile i5-3427U w/ HD4000. Haswell desktop i7-4790 w/ nVidia GTX 1080. Haswell desktop i3-4130T w/ Radeon RX 460. Haswell desktop Pentium G3258 w/ Radeon HD 7750. Haswell desktop i7-4770T w/ HD4600.

These are all running Windows 10 Pro, all on the 10586 build. That's the only common denominator I can think of.