Looking to get a PS4 (skepticism about ps4 PRO)

kofman13

Hey all. looking to get my first PS4. I have a gaming pc but most of my friends have ps4 so it would be nice to game with them all. When slim/pro were announced, i planned to wait for the Pro in November because it's just "better". But the more i think about it the more vague and weird the whole thing is to me.

What's weird about the PS4 pro is how vague the info is. There is no concrete info on what's actually better. No clear technical specs or info. All they showed was a few 2017 games running in hi res. And said that a few games will have frame rate bumps, but which games and how much? But they dont say what resolution games will run on PS4 PRO, didnt show and side by sides with the same game running on a Slim, perhaps the difference would be so small that it would be embarassing?

It's impossible for the Pro to actually render in 4K, so what is it actually doing? They don't disclose which the exact "higher resolution" these select games will have. So are they just being upscaled better than TVs can? My friend hooked up his Slim to my 4k TV which already upscales and it looked really good to me.

The other selling point is HDR. Real HDR requires really high end 4K TVs. But Sony is implying that it will work on all TVs? If so, then is it real HDR? Or are they just bumping up contrast? And if all PS4s (even original) are getting the HDR patch, then that isnt a Pro exclusive feature then, right?

I am not trying to troll fans of Sony, I am just being a smart consumer and weighing the pros/cons. It just seems Sony is being sooo vague about all of this. The only REAL CONCRETE info I saw about the Pro is that it will be able to do Remote Play in 1080P, which is pretty cool. Everything else has just been fancy vague terms like "High Fidelity Experience" and " never before seen clarity when playing on 4k TV". Like what does that even mean?

What I learned with No Mans Sky this year is if companies are being really vague and not straightforward with product info, there is a chance they are trying to hide how lame their product actually is until after it comes out, afraid that people might not pre order or lose interest before release if they know all the info. Not saying this is like No Mans Sky situation, or even that the Pro WONT be good. Just being a skeptic consumer!

Thoughts?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

Go to dark theme please and try to read this... Change the font color please

Edit - I would just wait until ps4 pro reviews come out.

2 minutes ago, Paytend01 said:

Go to dark theme please and try to read this... Change the font color please

sorry

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

Just now, kofman13 said:

sorry

Thank you :D No worries, you are still kinda new here I can see.

If you have the money, get the pro, but don't sweat it. sony said that there would be no PS PRO exclusives (except for PSVR), but the PS pro is 2X more powerful, so I assume it will run everything 1080p

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

• 4 weeks later...

so what the ps4pro is doing, is adding (I believe) a 2nd cpu as well as a 2nd gpu to the system, leaving older titles to run on the original hardware and allowing new titles to fire on all 4 cylinders...this essentially is only going to get you a 1080p 60hz experience pretty much every time. I don't think theyd go for 2k by 30hz. seems like a dumb place to be (and there aren't a lot of 2k TV's out there come to think of it).

the big (kind of) difference is that the ps4pro can output 4k video, so you can watch youtube/Netflix in 4k assuming you have the bandwidth to handle it.

IMO not really worth it at all.