command and conquer Generals problems

coppernut

Hi all before I start let me explain why I am posting I am not a Techy or someone who is very knowledgeable about the mysteries of the programming side of computers or updating or modding I am a Silver surfer who on occasion likes to play the odd stratergy type game I have recently had a go at building my own computer to upgrade my system quite successfully unfortunately the games I like to play are quite old now and most are not compatible with my system these games include the whole command and conquer/red alert series by EA is there anyone out there who can assist by any means get these games to run otherwise I will have to use a drive to install windows 98/vista to run them on my new setup or is that the answer or is there a fix somewhere.

You can use VM or DOSbox for older games. Or try to look if GOG.com or Origin would have versions with verified compatibility.

Oh, and not to sound like a douche. But you really should break your text into sentences. Makes it lot easier to get what the issue is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Maybe you can run the program under compatibility of older windows version ?

Thank you for your input I will check those  options as i said I am not familiar with etiquet on sites like this so please bear with me.

If you have the First Decade and Windows 10  this is an option. http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19456-cant-run-the-first-decade-properly-on-windows-10/

Even if it's not this info will be helpfull to some degree, because since vista running all C&C is troublesome aand requires some tinkering. Most single player can be resolved by patching and running as administrator, while for multiplayer abilty there is more to do. You can google it easily if you search with your needs like: command and conquer generals windows 7. That CNCNZ related stuff is overall good and usefull. You can also check out stuff from Gamereplays, thye also have some guides.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 hours ago, coppernut said:

unfortunately the games I like to play are quite old now and most are not compatible with my system these games include the whole command and conquer/red alert series by EA is there anyone out there who can assist by any means get these games to run otherwise I will have to use a drive to install windows 98/vista to run them on my new setup or is that the answer or is there a fix somewhere.

I personally haven't done this myself, but I have some ideas that might help…

First of all, PC Gaming Wiki's articles usually include fixes and workarounds for problems like this. In the case of the original C&C, it looks like you need to install an unofficial patch that gets the game running on new operating systems and 64-bit PCs. That site is useful for pretty much any game, even new ones. I check it before I buy basically anything to see what I'll need to tweak.

Secondly, check out OpenRA. It's an open-source version of the original Red Alert maintained by the community. Again, I haven't tried it myself, but I think getting the game working with modern systems was the whole point.

12 hours ago, coppernut said:

I can play Command and conquer Generals at about 4000 fps without any problems on windows 10

i do have them on Origin tho

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)