Windows 8.1 causing major mouse stuttering issues in certain games

diiPex

EDIT: Microsoft has released a patch that resolves this issue, you may download the update from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

http://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-81-mouse-lag-reportedly-renders-some-pc-games-close-unplayable

Redditors report that the major system update has introduced insurmountable lag to games including Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Metro: Last Light and STALKER: Call of Pripyat.
The issue appears to lie with Windows 8.1’s new DPI framework for multiple monitors, which has interfered with usual communication between the mouse and the OS. Games that don't read raw mouse data, like those above, have developed a sluggishness not exactly conducive to hacking in Deux Ex, for instance...

I first encountered this issue in CoD:Black Ops 2, however the issue seems to arise in any game that do not have a 'raw mouse input' or 'direct input' option. This should serve as a warning for anyone looking to update to windows 8.1; if you play any games that don't support raw mouse input you should probably consider waiting for an update to resolve this issue.  

So I am confused. Does it only effect people with multiple monitors? Have a higher DPI setting then normal? How about, checking the box "disable scaling on high DPI settings" under compatibility of the program executable?

I see it mentioned pool rate is a bit hurt... so I guess it only really affects hard core competitive FPS gamers, and not the normal gamers which we are most are, meaning, not a real problem, in the sense that it only affects you are some crazy hardcore competitive player, but not us, as we won't even see the problem. Game can be patched by the dev if there is a demand.

My mouse is 125Hz pool rate, the normal pool rate you get from a good non-gaming mouse, and my games aren't "unplayable" as people in the article claim. So, the article or people complaints are greatly exaggerated.

If people wonder, here is how to check your mouse pool rate:

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=103226&t=4&i=1

Warning new Windows makes select games run from 60Hz to an unplayable 59Hz! Stop the press! (is how I see this news. Not saying that Microsoft should not fix it. Definitively people that bought higher pool rate mouses, should get their money worth on all games, as it is what they initially got).

So I am confused. Does it only effect people with multiple monitors? Have a higher DPI setting then normal? How about, checking the box "disable scaling on high DPI settings" under compatibility of the program executable?

I see it mentioned pool rate is a bit hurt... so I guess it only really affects hard core competitive FPS gamers, and not the normal gamers which we are most are, meaning, not a real problem, in the sense that it only affects you are some crazy hardcore competitive player, but not us, as we won't even see the problem. Game can be patched by the dev if there is a demand.

My mouse is 125Hz pool rate, the normal pool rate you get from a good non-gaming mouse, and my games aren't "unplayable" as people in the article claim. So, the article or people complaints are greatly exaggerated.

Warning new Windows makes select games run from 60Hz to an unplayable 59Hz! Stop the press! (is how I see this news. Not saying that Microsoft should not fix it. Definitively people that bought higher pool rate mouses, should get their money worth on all games, as it is what they initially got).

Mines 530hz

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only have 1 monitor and it effects me.  My pool rate is 200 according to that program (although it doesn't seem too accurate as it was jumping around a lot) and I use 800 dpi so I don't think pool rate or dpi could have much to do with the problem.   Checking "disable scaling on high DPI settings" didn't have any effect and neither did running as administer or compatibility mode.  

Could I ask which games you are playing, because any game that supports raw mouse input will not have this problem, and if you were having this problem it would be very noticeable, not just something that would only effect extreme gamers; imagine your dpi constantly jumping around from 400 to 1600, it makes it incredibly hard to aim.  

I seem to be experiencing also but it is very minor and it stops stuttering after a while in BF3.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Not surprised. Windows 8 is a horrible excuse for an os.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This has been happening to me when I have certain games open and often when hard drive access is high. Didn't do it on 8.0 drives me nuts but as long as im in that application its generally not bad except when loading, other wise if I alt tab it can become unbearable.

I seem to be experiencing also but it is very minor and it stops stuttering after a while in BF3.

You're right, it is much less noticeable in BF3 than Black Ops 2, but if you go into control settings and turn on raw mouse input, it should remove all stuttering.  

I can't be sure if it's the server I was playing on, DayZ (which is buggy as hell) or Windows 8.1 but I had a few times where the game froze, sometimes forcing a reset, this never happened before. I could alt-tab out but I didn't have a mouse which made it a little difficult to force quit Arma.

I guess these issues are going to be solved fairly quickly, while I'm not a fan of W8/8.1 and the whole modern UI BS, I use it just like I would W7 so I don't see any drawbacks really.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Is Windows 8 really THAT bad? I mean I have it, I like it, I feel it's considerably faster than Windows 7 and feels snappy as well. Sure some people don't like the Modern UI but other than that people are saying it's like the new Vista. In reality, that's not the case at all. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

I have seen weird mouse issues just messing around in explore. Esp. when your moving between monitors but I haven't seen it in games.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I have seen weird mouse issues just messing around in explore. Esp. when your moving between monitors but I haven't seen it in games.

You have to be more specific, please.

You have to be more specific, please.

Since I updated I have had a few moments when I attempted to move my mouse from one monitor to the other it locks up and will only be able to move the mouse vertical, stuck on the edge but I can't say weather its a driver issue or a windows 8.1 issue tho. I think it gets caught up on the side menu screen that glitches out and doesn't display the menu on the screen. I haven't seen any stuttering in games.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

The OS have stuff like modern UI and thats why people don't like it, not because it laggy and such.

-snip-

Soo this program seems pretty dodgy to me. I can get it to say anywhere as low as 15hz to 180hz just by moving the mouse at a different speed.

I will boot into Windows 7 later and see if it makes a difference to the "pool" rate

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Since I updated I have had a few moments when I attempted to move my mouse from one monitor to the other it locks up and will only be able to move the mouse vertical, stuck on the edge but I can't say weather its a driver issue or a windows 8.1 issue tho. I think it gets caught up on the side menu screen that glitches out and doesn't display the menu on the screen. I haven't seen any stuttering in games.

The edges of the screen locks the mouse instead of allowing it freely go on the next monitor, so that you can:

-> More easily close a full screen app

-> Do the gestures for opening the charm bar

-> A bit easier time to snap side by side a window/Modern UI app

This resolved an annoyance in Windows 7 with multi-screen monitors

Just run the game in compatibiliy mode for windows 8 or 7 and disable the dpi scaling. thats whats causing it. 

Here is a video from Tek Syndicate in fixing it: 

Just run the game in compatibiliy mode for windows 8 or 7 and disable the dpi scaling. thats whats causing it. 

That does not solve the problem for all games, merely a few of them. The call of duty series for example, this fix has no effect on.  I've known about the 'fix' for a long time, it's even in the source that I linked, but like what it says in my source and in the reddit thread where it was first discovered, the fix is not universal and only works with certain games. 

For the time being, since I'm tired of waiting for MS to release an update, I've set up a dual boot system from my original windows 8 disk.  I resized my data drives partition and created a new one on which I installed windows 8 from the disk.  Copied some games over from my old partition and their working fine.  This way I can use this OS until MS releases a fix, then just delete the partition and be back to normal afterwards. 

Its a shame that I had to jump through hoops just to play my favorite games, and it baffles me that MS was able to overlook such a major problem in the first place, but I just hope MS releases a fix soon so I'm not stuck on this barren temporary OS for much longer.

Just an update for anyone who is following this thread, Microsoft has released a patch and I can confirm it has solved the problem.

You can download the update from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

Thank you. So our mice can now poll at 1000hz after this update?