Is the Hyper 212 EVO enough for my i7-6700k?

Scarfold
27 minutes ago, Scarfold said:

I do not plan on overclocking.

Thanks!

yeah should be good!

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's barely better than the 212 Evo. They're both very similar and trade blows depending on what benchmark/review you're looking at.

trade blows?!!?

the H7 is the better cooler - with higher load, the 212 chokes faster

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

trade blows?!!?

the H7 is the better cooler - with higher load, the 212 chokes faster

Yes, the H7 is better but not by much. The biggest advantage of the H7 is that the mounting hardware is better and it's easy to get inconsistent results with the 212 Evo when not mounted properly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have a hyper evo 212 over a 6700k that dwarfs the Tiny Budget Micro ATX motherboard I am using, and it works fine.  It should be more than enough without over clocking.  It also depends on how many devices, how many drives, what kind of equipment, etc, you have connected to your PC.

14 hours ago, zMeul said:

no it isn't

if you don't plan to overclock, it's OK

at what temps?!!?

anything above 75deg is not safe

What is your issue with temps? This is second thread where you are telling horror stories and scaring OP for now reason what so ever.

JUSTICE_OC.jpg

temps are delta from ambient in open air setup

When ambient is usually 20-23C for testing, score for D14 would be just under 75C you fear so much. I don't see point posting this graph, it shows about normal temps for those coolers.

look at 212 the temps with the side panel closed, it goes over 80deg - that's not good

Depends really on your preferences. 80C under gaming load would be bit toasty to my liking too, but under stress its still all good.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What is your issue with temps? This is second thread where you are telling horror stories and scaring OP for now reason what so ever.

When ambient is usually 20-23C for testing, score for D14 would be just under 75C you fear so much. I don't see point posting this graph, it shows about normal temps for those coolers.

Depends really on your preferences. 80C under gaming load would be bit toasty to my liking too, but under stress its still all good.

horror stories!?!?

do you know how many people buy the 212 then come "crying" on reddit and other places that it doesn't do a good job?!

for some K i5 is decent, but not for i7s - the TDP skyrocket when OCing and applying +voltage

212EVO, Arctic Silver 5, belong to an era that's no gone - there are better things out there

34 minutes ago, zMeul said:

horror stories!?!?

do you know how many people buy the 212 then come "crying" on reddit and other places that it doesn't do a good job?!

for some K i5 is decent, but not for i7s - the TDP skyrocket when OCing and applying +voltage

212EVO, Arctic Silver 5, belong to an era that's no gone - there are better things out there

Well, maybe you shouldn't go overboard like those who use Reddit and these "other" places. 212 is just fine, and its par with H7 you seems to promote over it. They don't have maybe 3-5C difference, with H7 being unavailable on some regions. Applying voltage will always make temps to sky rocket. Thats nature of OC'ing. No matter which cooler is being used. But it doesn't mean 212 would be no-go for OC'ing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, maybe you shouldn't go overboard like those who use Reddit and these "other" places. 212 is just fine, and its par with H7 you seems to promote over it. They don't have maybe 3-5C difference, with H7 being unavailable on some regions. Applying voltage will always make temps to sky rocket. Thats nature of OC'ing. No matter which cooler is being used. But it doesn't mean 212 would be no-go for OC'ing.

no it isn't - on all counts

and I'm not promoting the H7; I could say you're promoting the 212 :dry:

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no it isn't - on all counts

and I'm not promoting the H7; I could say you're promoting the 212 :dry:

If I would suggest budget cooler, I always give the 3 most known options. 212, H7 and Pure Rock. 212 being most widely available and cheap, H7 being cheap and bit better than 212, Pure Rock being best of them, but bit more expensive. All of them are fine for mild OC. I haven't looked at Skylake OC guides yet. But I don't believe they have went so much worse than DC so that budget coolers wouldn't be able to do basic OC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If I would suggest budget cooler, I always give the 3 most known options. 212, H7 and Pure Rock. 212 being most widely available and cheap, H7 being cheap and bit better than 212, Pure Rock being best of them, but bit more expensive. 

Eh, the Pure Rock isn't far off but still the worst performer of the 3. The main advantage is that it is the quietest. The H7 is the shortest with the best mounting hardware and the 212 Evo is usually the cheapest. They each have their pros and cons.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.