How much power do I need?

JacobKS

Hi, Online Power Calculators are confusing me...

- i5 6400

- msi h110m pro-vh

- 2x ddr4 2133mhz 8gb

- xfx rx 460 double dissipation 4gb

- wd caviar blue 1tb

These are the specs that my friend want to build and on the outervision.com online power calculator says I only need about 360W so my question is, is the Corsair VS450 enough?

I'd just buy a 550w just for the sake of if I decided to add anymore drives or change the card in the future.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

I'd just buy a 550w just for the sake of if I decided to add anymore drives or change the card in the future.

but right now what do you is that good?

4 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Yes, more than enough. Not the best psu though, there are better options.

he's currently on a budget build here, he doesn't want to change anything on his build.

1 minute ago, JacobKS said:

but right now what do you is that good?

Right now it is more than enough power. Just look for a decent brand so you have a good warranty in case anything happens, like your psu becomes a fireball or something.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Right now it is more than enough power. Just look for a decent brand so you have a good warranty in case anything happens, like your psu becomes a fireball or something.

isn't Corsair a reliable brand for PSUs? what do you recommend?

1 minute ago, JacobKS said:

isn't Corsair a reliable brand for PSUs? what do you recommend?

Oh didn't see the corsair xD well you're good then (I need sleep q.q)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Oh didn't see the corsair xD well you're good then (I need sleep q.q)

lol haha its Corsair VS450, thanks then.

You are seeing under 200wDC under gaming load with that system. The Corsair VS450 would be able to power that.

Can you provide a budget and any links to stores you can buy from? We may be able to find you something better than that entry level unit.

1 minute ago, quan289 said:

You are seeing under 200wDC under gaming load with that system. The Corsair VS450 would be able to power that.

Can you provide a budget and any links to stores you can buy from? We may be able to find you something better than that entry level unit.

It's a PHP price (Philippine Peso) https://dynaquestpc.com/product-category/components/power-supply-psu/

get the seasonic eco 430w or xfx ts 430w, corsair vs is a PoS and very poor value most of the time

just look here if you need help picking a psu

3 hours ago, JacobKS said:

Hi, Online Power Calculators are confusing me...

- i5 6400

- msi h110m pro-vh

- 2x ddr4 2133mhz 8gb

- xfx rx 460 double dissipation 4gb

- wd caviar blue 1tb

These are the specs that my friend want to build and on the outervision.com online power calculator says I only need about 360W so my question is, is the Corsair VS450 enough?

The VS is pretty poor. It would be a good idea to get a Seasonic S12 430W for not much more money. It sounds like you're on such a strict budget that it may make more sense to get used hardware. An i5 6400 has worse single-threaded performance than an i3 6100 and would play better in some games. You'd be able to squeeze in a 120GB SSD and an EVGA 500B or even a Corsair CX450M in there with the money saved from doing that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

19 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The VS is pretty poor. It would be a good idea to get a Seasonic S12 430W for not much more money. It sounds like you're on such a strict budget that it may make more sense to get used hardware. An i5 6400 has worse single-threaded performance than an i3 6100 and would play better in some games. You'd be able to squeeze in a 120GB SSD and an EVGA 500B or even a Corsair CX450M in there with the money saved from doing that.

How bout' da seasonic eco?

Pretty cheap for what it is (at least here in europe)

3 hours ago, JacobKS said:

As I had stated, the VS450 would be able to power that system. It's an "it will do PSU" if you are on a strict budget. Of course, if you can expand you budget a bit, I would recommend the Seasonic S12II-B 520 for 2600 PHP: https://dynaquestpc.com/product/seasonic-s12ii-520w-80plus-bronze/

Personally, I would go for the Corsair CX550M (Dynaquest doesn't seem to have the 450w model) for the modularity and DC-DC, but that would require you to extend your budget even more.

19 minutes ago, OnfireYH said:

How bout' da seasonic eco?

Pretty cheap for what it is (at least here in europe)

It's better than the VS but as quan said, a substantial step up would be the S12 or Corsair CXM (although the CXM is a bit more money)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||