HELP: Help Me Find the Right CPU!

Talbi

Hello, I'm looking for a good CPU that I will be able to overclock. I'm planning to use the following programs/games:

Editing Programs: such as Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe After Effects 

Games: such as Call of Duty, CS:GO, Overwatch, GTA V, Minecraft and more

3D Modeling Programs: such as MAXON Cinema4D

and more heavy programs/games..

This is my first build, And I would like to have a huge upgrade from my current computer, a MacBook Pro, 13" which got only 2.2Ghz..

Computer Specs: (So Far)

-Case: MasterBox 5 Black Mid-tower with Internal Configuration, E-ATX Support, and Nine SSD mount positions

-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X

-Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)

-RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 64 GB Kit 2133 MHz CL14 DIMM DDR4 Internal Memory (HX421C14FBK4/64)

-Motherboard: MSI Extreme Gaming Intel X99 LGA 2011 DDR4 USB 3.1 Extended ATX Motherboard (X99A Gaming 9 ACK) -- (Will Change depending on the CPU, and the CPU socket)

-PSU: Corsair AX Series, AX860, 860 Watt (860W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified

This is my first ever build, And I would like to have a beastly CPU that will preform great in heavy applications (mentioned above).

I would like to overclock my CPU to around ~5.0Ghz. 

Please Note that I also want to have a CPU with a decent amount of cache (around ~12M)

Thanks for everyone that will help me find the right parts for my first build!

-Talbi

EDIT: I am looking for a CPU that will come with 4.0Ghz+

The only way you'll get a 5ghz overclock is probably by going the AMD route to be honest.

an i7 6850K has got the cache that you'd need, the clock speeds arent there (3.6ghz) though and it'd probably not be able to get 5ghz overclocked, around 4.5 ish, depends on your silicone lottery really. the 6700K has got closer to the clock speeds you need but only 8mb cache.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

what CPU do you have atm ?

I'd go for i7 6700K right now but I'd wait for 7700K which is really around in a short time

or if you have money go for i7-6950X

I'm not looking to have straight forward 5Ghz, more like around 4.5-ish (If I would be able to find a 4.8Ghz that would be GREAT)

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

i7 6700K but in your place I'd wait for 7700K which is really around now

or if you have money go for i7-6950X

I am going to build my PC in 3 months+ 

So I have time to wait..

1 minute ago, Talbi said:

I am going to build my PC in 3 months+ 

So I have time to wait..

budget ?

Just now, belfouf said:

budget ?

I still don't know.. But I guess I have enough to a decent computer for gaming, editing and youtube

11 minutes ago, Talbi said:

I still don't know.. But I guess I have enough to a decent computer for gaming, editing and youtube

If you want to be powered up in most demanding softwares I would recommend going broadwell-E or Haswell -E with either 6850K or 5930K : 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5930K/3606vs2578

but you'll be surprised that HyperThreading sometimes has to be deactivated in some games in order to compete with skylakes or sandy's. Yes deactivating some cores makes you win fps... In this field i'd trust more the 6850K.

BUT

regarding price/perf, and since you want to game, I'd really recommend the future i7 -7700K which is more powerful /core and much more optimized in modern applications multithreading and will come at 4,2 Ghz stock

Since you already picked X99, then go straight with Broadwell-E. i7-6850K Would be a decent start, since it has 15MB cache, 40 PCIE lanes, 6 cores and 12 thread, with base clock of 3.6GHz.
But unfortunately, a 5GHz overclock isn't too feasible. Targeting a 4.0 to 4.2GHz would be much more reasonable for a daily load usage as you mentioned above.

where are you from? There are shops selling pre tested OC i7s. In Germany you can get tested i7-6700k to up to 4,8 GHz.
https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-single-fire-system-6700k-4-8-ghz-gtx-1080-wakue-sipc-106.html#tech_specs
https://www.caseking.de/intel-core-i7-6700k-4-0-ghz-skylake-pretested-4-8-ghz-tray-hpit-262.html

there are sure other shops that will offer the same.

For 5GHz I am pretty sure you will need a 3770k or 4790k.

The i7 5775C and 6700K I expect around 4,8GHz and all 2011-3 CPUs will limit at around 4,5GHz.

1 minute ago, frunze said:

Since you already picked X99, then go straight with Broadwell-E. i7-6850K Would be a decent start, since it has 15MB cache, 40 PCIE lanes, 6 cores and 12 thread, with base clock of 3.6GHz.
But unfortunately, a 5GHz overclock isn't too feasible. Targeting a 4.0 to 4.2GHz would be much more reasonable for a daily load usage as you mentioned above.

I don't really care about changing the motherboard because of the socket. I care more about finding a beastly CPU that will start with 4Ghz+ (you can see I've edited)

I more care about having .4 more Ghz than having more cache. I would like to have an "average" cpu with arround 4Ghz and 10M cache.

Note: I saw a video of someone overclocking a i5 to 4.8Ghz 

I don't really care about changing the motherboard because of the socket. I care more about finding a beastly CPU that will start with 4Ghz+ (you can see I've edited)

I more care about having .4 more Ghz than having more cache. I would like to have an "average" cpu with arround 4Ghz and 10M cache.

Yeah, the i5-4XXXK (don't know exakt number) and the 6600K can run at 4.8 GHz.

With base clock of 4.0GHz you will have to take the 4790K or 6700K. you can get most k cpus with more then 4 cores to 4.2-4.3GHz. On each core!

So far.. Thanks for everyone who helped me. I am still searching for the right CPU. I would like to have a CPU (not overclocked) that will have a substantial amount of cache, (for gaming, editing, e.x.) And around 4Ghz+.

Thanks for everyone that replied so far! 

2 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

Yeah, the i5-4XXXK (don't know exakt number) and the 6600K can run at 4.8 GHz.

With base clock of 4.0GHz you will have to take the 4790K or 6700K. you can get most k cpus with more then 4 cores to 4.2-4.3GHz. On each core!

Yes, But I'm searching for an i7 model. Because like I said, I want a CPU that will be able to handle heavy rendering programs (such as Cinema4D)

Yet, if I wont find a cpu like that, I might get that i5 model

Just now, Talbi said:

Yes, But I'm searching for an i7 model. Because like I said, I want a CPU that will be able to handle heavy rendering programs (such as Cinema4D)

as said before, when you only want high GHz numbers (which isn't everything and you have to look for other things too!) then go with the i7  4790k. 5GHz can be done even with air cooling. The highest stable version I know are 5.2-5.3GHz.
but at your programs I would definitly look for other features then high oc potential

You should save yourself that money between 6800 and 6850. Doubt the PCI lanes are worth the extra investement and the little extra standard clock is something that doens't apply for you since you gonna OC anyway. They OC similar so that won't be the difference and have the same specs otherwise. So go 6800K. The 6900 and 6950 will clock even less high because they have more cores. So then I woudl say that it is a decission between 6800 and 6900. 6800K will give you a bit more range on OC, while the 6900k gives you 2 more cores at a bit lower potential OC.

I would say go the 6800K.

Have to eat now, but be back later for some more input.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Gnomo said:

as said before, when you only want high GHz numbers (which isn't everything and you have to look for other things too!) then go with the i7  4790k. 5GHz can be done even with air cooling. The highest stable version I know are 5.2-5.3GHz.
but at your programs I would definitly look for other features then high oc potential

I do know that high Ghz is not the important thing, Stuff like Threats, Cores, Cache and other are also very important things. But comparing (in price), Having more cache costs a lot. Thanks anyways, And I think It will help me find the right CPU for me. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Talbi said:

don't sweat, wait a bit and go i7 7700K, you'll be able to OC on air at 4,7ghz minimum I bet, and leaked benchmarks so far are good

8 minutes ago, Talbi said:

Well, go for i7-6700K or 7700K then. Stock speed start straight from 4.0-4.2 and boost clock up to 4.4-4.5 and still overclockable.
Forget i5, because it's definitely underpowered in Maxon C4D or any 3D modelling software compared to i7. 

1 minute ago, Gonio said:

You should save yourself that money between 6800 and 6850. Doubt the PCI lanes are worth the extra investement and the little extra standard clock is something that doens't apply for you since you gonna OC anyway. They OC similar so that won't be the difference and have the same specs otherwise. So go 6800K. The 6900 and 6950 will clock even less high because they have more cores. So then I woudl say that it is a decission between 6800 and 6900. 6800K will give you a bit more range on OC, while the 6900k gives you 2 more cores at a bit lower potential OC.

sorry but that is wrong, a 6 or 8 core will never be the same in OC then a quad-core.

I do know that high Ghz is not the important thing, Stuff like Threats, Cores, Cache and other are also very important things. But comparing (in price), Having more cache costs a lot. Thanks anyways, And I think It will help me find the right CPU for me. Thanks!

for cheap cache I would think running a Xeon. Sure you can't OC those.(most of them....)

Alright, Thanks for everyone helping me find the right CPU.

After reading all of your suggestions I think I will go with the i7-7700K because I am going to build this gaming/editing PC just in few months.

Thanks for everyone helping me find the best cpu for overclocking, gaming & editing.

Again, Thanks -Talbi

41 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

43 minutes ago, Gonio said:

sorry but that is wrong, a 6 or 8 core will never be the same in OC then a quad-core.

I never brought up a quad core, and as you can see I did state the exact same thing when comparing the 6800K and 6900K :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

5 hours ago, Gonio said:

I never brought up a quad core, and as you can see I did state the exact same thing when comparing the 6800K and 6900K :)

my bad. I understood something wrong.

3 hours ago, Gnomo said:

my bad. I understood something wrong.

Np mon :) We all misread sometimes. Just glad that we actually do agree, hehe.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list