is kaby-lake worth waiting for?

I keep hearing about 10-20% improvements but they say the the ipc is just the same as the ones from before and I don't understand what this is so is kaby-lake worth waiting for instead of buying a skylake cpu?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

It'll be a LONG time before the desktop consumer versions are released. the chips will be Mobile exclusive for a while. Honestly just get a Skylake CPU. the difference in performance will be there, but even after 5 years it'll be virtually the same. especially if you get a k skew.

Not really, skylake cpu is a great cpu, but kabylake is similar in performance and little more efficient than skylake.

Doesn't look like it is. No IPC improvements, only less power consumption and a bit higher clockspeed.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

23 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

I keep hearing about 10-20% improvements but they say the the ipc is just the same as the ones from before and I don't understand what this is so is kaby-lake worth waiting for instead of buying a skylake cpu?

As far as performance goes, think of Kaby as a Haswell Refresh. In other words, it's the same thing as Skylake, but with better clocks speeds.

If you are going to buy a 6600k / 6700k, then there's absolutely no reason to wait until 2017 to get something oyu can already own right now. Just get those CPUs and OC them, making the higher clocks of Kaby a moot point. Likewise, the higher price tag will hardly make it worth over getting, say, a locked i3 / i5.

I can only really recommend Kaby if you'll be buying a Pentium Skylake now with an H110 mobo and intend to upgrade to an i7 6 months down the road, at which a higher clocked Kaby CPU will provide some benefits. Otherwise, it's hard to recommend the next gen.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Well... the actual "k" series chip is scheduled for 2h 2017. Thats quite a long time from now.

The main reason someone would want to upgrade to Kaby Lake would be the chipset and motherboard, since the new Z270 chipset will most likely be compatible with future 10nm cannonlake due to it being only a process shrink rather than an architectural change. 

You could however, wait for AMD Zen and see how it compares with Intel, since that is suppose to launch early next year. 

22 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Doesn't look like it is. No IPC improvements, only less power consumption and a bit higher clockspeed.

Yes this, not really worth it, unless your upgrading from an older generation.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/