Network File Transfer Size Limitation ?

iamthemoose

I have a few systems in my little LAN here, win7 laptop, win10 NAS, two other win10 workstations. I often find myself moving upwards of 100gb to and from my NAS, but I end up having to 'part it out'. I can't seem to move more than between 80-100gb at once, windows gives me the "Not enough space on target drive" error, despite having several TB free.

It's a minor annoyance but happens on all machines and I can't seem to find any mention of such a thing online. Maybe my googlefu is weak.

What's causing it and how can I fix it?

9 minutes ago, iamthemoose said:

I have a few systems in my little LAN here, win7 laptop, win10 NAS, two other win10 workstations. I often find myself moving upwards of 100gb to and from my NAS, but I end up having to 'part it out'. I can't seem to move more than between 80-100gb at once, windows gives me the "Not enough space on target drive" error, despite having several TB free.

It's a minor annoyance but happens on all machines and I can't seem to find any mention of such a thing online. Maybe my googlefu is weak.

What's causing it and how can I fix it?

Maybe the problem is bandwidth. You might be trying to move more data on your network then your line can handle. 

Probably has to do with temp directories which are used when copying data. Destination may have space but the temp directory used during the copy fills up.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Probably has to do with temp directories which are used when copying data. Destination may have space but the temp directory used during the copy fills up.

This makes the most sense, though my C drive on the NAS has 190gb free so... how would I confirm that, and then resolve it?

1 minute ago, iamthemoose said:

This makes the most sense, though my C drive on the NAS has 190gb free so... how would I confirm that, and then resolve it?

Whats the free space on the C drive of the other computer? Start a large network copy and watch the free space on the disks on both devices during the copy, look for anything abnormal like one of the devices C drives filling up.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Whats the free space on the C drive of the other computer? Start a large network copy and watch the free space on the disks on both devices during the copy, look for anything abnormal like one of the devices C drives filling up.

C: on client has 94gb free, I'll clear a bit and recheck. 2min, ty.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Love your meme profile pic btw. And OP, do this^ (very helpful, I know)

Yea I work for a university in the IT department so it has a very special place/meaning in my heart xD

well how 'bout that. free c: space on client was limiting total data transfer. Is there a way around having more free space (it's a 950nvme, not a lot of room) or do I just have to super-fuss the data management?

Just now, iamthemoose said:

well how 'bout that. free c: space on client was limiting total data transfer. Is there a way around having more free space (it's a 950nvme, not a lot of room) or do I just have to super-fuss the data management?

Woo nailed it :)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/23500-temporary-files-folder-change-location-windows.html

Do be aware though that changing this away from your C drive could effect performance of certain things. Many different things use this temp location so changing it away from the 950nvme would be much slower.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Woo nailed it :)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/23500-temporary-files-folder-change-location-windows.html

Do be aware though that changing this away from your C drive could effect performance of certain things. Many different things use this temp location so changing it away from the 950nvme would be much slower.

So anything transferred over the network will always need the full amount of free space in the temp. Is that my particular machine(s) being derpy or just how it works? It strikes me as counterintuitive that you'd need as much free space as you want to transfer.

I'd expect, especially for any server applications, that you'd need to be able to "roll through" the temp as you're moving large amounts of data. IE: As files A-E complete their transfer files D-F can be "on deck".

Am I expecting poorly?

9 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Quote the dood/doods ur asking, m8.

TY, I probably wouldn't've clued into the "people watch for the alerts" thing as tired as I am right now :)

Just now, iamthemoose said:

So anything transferred over the network will always need the full amount of free space in the temp. Is that my particular machine(s) being derpy or just how it works? It strikes me as counterintuitive that you'd need as much free space as you want to transfer.

I'd expect, especially for any server applications, that you'd need to be able to "roll through" the temp as you're moving large amounts of data. IE: As files A-E complete their transfer files D-F can be "on deck".

Am I expecting poorly?

For moving large amounts of data you can use things like robocopy or xcopy which can get around these problems. Or you can initiate the copy from the opposite device that has more free space on the system disk.

What are you using to copy files? A mounted Windows share? Using FTP or something could fix this issue.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

For moving large amounts of data you can use things like robocopy or xcopy which can get around these problems. Or you can initiate the copy from the opposite device that has more free space on the system disk.

1 minute ago, spexiono said:

What are you using to copy files? A mounted Windows share? Using FTP or something could fix this issue.

thank you both :)