Nearly Finalised Build

I'm in an spot where I have 2 similar builds where I can maybe upgrade the GPU and monitor if I stretch my budget a bit, I know I'm asking a bunch of hardcore enthusiasts, but I'm curious if you guys think it's worth it for ~£370 = $480.

Also if you guys now a cheaper motherboard that still has reasonable audio, I'd love to save a few quid there. Thanks in advance.

GTX 1070 list

GTX 1080 list

2 minutes ago, Cynical_Toaster said:

I'm in an spot where I have 2 similar builds where I can maybe upgrade the GPU and monitor if I stretch my budget a bit, I know I'm asking a bunch of hardcore enthusiasts, but I'm curious if you guys think it's worth it for ~£370 = $480.

Also if you guys now a cheaper motherboard that still has reasonable audio, I'd love to save a few quid there. Thanks in advance.

GTX 1070 list

GTX 1080 list

Both are solid builds, it's really a question of what you are doing that might require the 1080. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

14 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Depends on the games and monitor, unless you're going 4k or 1440p@144Hz, you should be good with the 1070.

I'd want want 100+ FPS with whatever card I want so I'm debating the merits of 1080p versus 1440p. 1440 is clearly better, but is it worth the rather large price hike is what I'm asking

6 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Again, it depends. If you're trying to get maxed out 144Hz on Crysis 3, 1440's a bit of a stretch. Turn down some settings or play some less demanding games like CS:GO and stuff, and you won't have a problem. Imo though screen resolution is the single most noticeable improvement to any monitor.

say a 1070 runs med-high 1440p 100+Hz, or high-ultra 1080p 100+Hz. Which would you go for?

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

1440p, most of the settings at that point are totally unnecessary (OOH LOOK, MORE TEXTURED GRASS!)

you have a pretty good point there, It should be able to do all the highest textures, just not ALL of the lighting or hair effects

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the 1440p monitor I picked is good for quite a while? it's a dell something or other with g-sync

I can't see how £700 for one of the Asus predators is worth it, although like with the graphics cards, I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Probably, yeah. Good monitors tend to last through quite a few computers, stay relevant for a while. As long as it's IPS you're probably good.

The predators aren't necessarily "worth" it, but those curved, low latency displays sure are nice.

it's a TN panel, but is 1440p 144Hz Gsync.

What monitor do you use?

25 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You should still be fine for several years to come, unless it irks you when people have to put their heads on your bloody neck to read your screen because of the bad viewing angles :/

it'll irk me but I'll live :P

an ips monitor with g sync is £600 or thereabouts