Amd FX 8350

From what I read the i7 3770k is by far better in gaming and such, If you over clock the 8350 to something like 4.5-5ghz would that make any difference?

AMD A10-7850k, Cooler Master 212 EVO, Team 2133 2x4gb, V300 120gb, DVD, 3 HDD, MSI A88X-G43, Asus Strix GTX 970, EVGA Super Nova G2 850watt, Acer B326HUL

Well yes a higher clock will help, but newer games like BF4 and crysis 3 are able to use the fx 8350 better and usually pull ahead or extremely close performance wise.

The 3770k is defenitly not better by far, if you are planning on upgrading to either of them don't bother

Why?

Well yes a higher clock will help, but newer games like BF4 and crysis 3 are able to use the fx 8350 better and usually pull ahead or extremely close performance wise.

Thats interesting I find it amazing that intel with less cores can perform better than a amd with more cores

AMD A10-7850k, Cooler Master 212 EVO, Team 2133 2x4gb, V300 120gb, DVD, 3 HDD, MSI A88X-G43, Asus Strix GTX 970, EVGA Super Nova G2 850watt, Acer B326HUL

every CPUs have their quirks, what you plan to do will help you decide your CPU.

but given the price of CPUs atm, I've been leaning to 9370 if I were to build  a new pc (this is due to the price of packaged 9370)

hope that helps instead of confuse ya

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Another thing I just found out is that amd motherboards dont have PCI 3.0 why?

Thats interesting I find it amazing that intel with less cores can perform better than a amd with more cores

Well more cores doesn't always mean better. Amd went the route of more cores and higher clock speed while intel improved the IPC(instructions per clock) of their cpu's each generation. What instructions per clock means is how much can it do with the given clock speed (ex a 4.8ghz i5 2500k is equal to the performance of a 4.6ghz i5 3570k because of the higher IPC on the 3570k)

Most games/programs also aren't designed to use more than 2 cores usually. Until recently games are starting to use more cores and more threads in a cpu.

Another thing I just found out is that amd motherboards dont have PCI 3.0 why?

Because it is not built into the current chipsets. The new Fm2 amd boards(A88X) for Apu's has it now, but it is a more recent chipset than 990FX or 970. Unless you are planning to do sli or crossfire it won't make a difference anyways(like 1 fps)

Well more cores doesn't always mean better. Amd went the route of more cores and higher clock speed while intel improved the IPC(instructions per clock) of their cpu's each generation. What instructions per clock means is how much can it do with the given clock speed (ex a 4.8ghz i5 2500k is equal to the performance of a 4.6ghz i5 3570k because of the higher IPC on the 3570k)

Most games/programs also aren't designed to use more than 2 cores usually. Until recently games are starting to use more cores and more threads in a cpu.

Because it is not built into the current chipsets. The new Fm2 amd boards(A88X) for Apu's has it now, but it is a more recent chipset than 990FX or 970. Unless you are planning to do sli or crossfire it won't make a difference anyways(like 1 fps)

hahaha thats funny only like 1fps.....As for IPS makes more sence to just increase that than what AMD did.

hahaha thats funny only like 1fps.....As for IPS makes more sence to just increase that than what AMD did.

different strategies. Amd is pretty much forcing game developers on the console to have that slow large core count cpu so the games will have to be optimized for the higher core count. So far this plan is working for them

Intel atm isn't going for the enthusiast they are going for less power consumption and small form factor(laptop, tablets, etc) which is why the IPC is working for them. More common programs like itunes only use one core so they don't need that higher core count for the everyday person they are targeting.

This should give you an idea of what an 8350 is like when optimized for the higher core count usage(which benefits intel as well)

post-5372-0-32519600-1382154932.jpg

Note that the higher up amd cpu's are higher binned 8350's that have a higher clock speed.

If you want to go more in depth @Kuzma is a good person to have a chat with about the workings of CPUs 

Thankyou for the info!

there we go again. i7 vs 8350 and people copy/pasting the charts from bf4-crysis 3 from "insert russian name" website again. Now have nothing against amd, BUT CANT YOU POST OTHER BENCHMARKS? ARE YOU GUYS THINKING PEOPLE ONLY PLAY CRYSIS 3 (AWFULL GAME, CRYSIS 1 WAS BETTER) AND BF4??????

WHAT ABOUT ANANDTECH, HARDWARECANUCKS?, WHATS WRONG WITH THE LEGIT SITES UH?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/9

SEE? ITS NOT LIKE IF THE 8350 WAS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CHART, FOR GAMING YOU DONT NEED A SUPERCPU!!!

there we go again. i7 vs 8350 and people copy/pasting the charts from bf4-crysis 3 from "insert russian name" website again. Now have nothing against amd, BUT CANT YOU POST OTHER BENCHMARKS? ARE YOU GUYS THINKING PEOPLE ONLY PLAY CRYSIS 3 (AWFULL GAME, CRYSIS 1 WAS BETTER) AND BF4??????

WHAT ABOUT ANANDTECH, HARDWARECANUCKS?, WHATS WRONG WITH THE LEGIT SITES UH?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/9

SEE? ITS NOT LIKE IF THE 8350 WAS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CHART, FOR GAMING YOU DONT NEED A SUPERCPU!!!

They post the BF4 results because as far as we now that's the first game is able to leverage more than 4 cores, which would obviously be were a CPU with lower IPC but more cores would benefit. With the next gen consoles being 8 cores (6 for games I believe) we're going to start seeing more game that can use more than 4 cores, which would be were an 8350 gets an edge over the mainstream Intel CPUs. 

The architecture of the chips makes a huge difference. Intel is 1 module with 1 core (4 modules, 4 cores). AMD is 1 module with 2 cores. So when applications use an odd number of cores the AMD chips will struggle quite a bit. So games have a slight tendency to perform significantly better with intel chips. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

@grizzlypaugh If you read this thread by me you'll understand the differences and why they exist :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

really? do not talk about what you do not know al all. crysis 3 uses all my i7 3770's 8 thread 

3f7117ea2fda.jpg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

They post the BF4 results because as far as we now that's the first game is able to leverage more than 4 cores, which would obviously be were a CPU with lower IPC but more cores would benefit. With the next gen consoles being 8 cores (6 for games I believe) we're going to start seeing more game that can use more than 4 cores, which would be were an 8350 gets an edge over the mainstream Intel CPUs. 

look at the picture  i posted. crysis 3 already uses 8 threads. battlefield 3 uses 8 cores/threads too.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

really? do not talk about what you do not know al all. crysis 3 uses all my i7 3770's 8 thread 

I'm a little confused here. I said the crysis 3 uses more cores and threads and on the bf4 post I said this benefits intel too.

Its always an on going debate between both, one performs better than the other at time, vice versa but its down to user preference to try it them selves

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

Why?

Well games don't use the extra cores yet and it doesn't perform better

Well with the AMD set up you spend less on CPU and MB so have more to spend on a GPU so in the end you  get better FPS. As fore PCIe3 there is no real difference with GPUs yet. Even pcie2 @ 8X is still fine really.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

That's because Intel's cores are twice as large as AMD's cores, however they're not nearly twice as powerful.

An Intel core is roughly the same size as an AMD Module, which contains two cores, but an AMD module provides higher total performance throughput.

Fore more in-depth info regarding the differences between AMD & Intel architectures you can check this out : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48571-intel-amd-architectural-discussion-how-far-ahead-intel-really-is/