How to make MY laptop not work on purpose

Guest lilbman

Please place below ways to destroy a laptop internally and make it look like general hardware failure-I PLAN TO USE THE METHODS ON MY TERRIBLE MACHINE, NOT ANYONE ELSE'S.  You are not liable for any damages caused to me or my machine.  I simply want a reason to get a new computer, seeing as mine is incompetent and doesn't work fully, yet is still working.  I need it to kick the bucket without making it look like I did it on purpose(which I didn't ;) ). Be descriptive and creative, please.

1. Who are you trying to fool, if it is just your parents then I could list probably a hundred lol

2. do you want to keep your data on the laptop.

3. Do you want it to be reversible?

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Put a screwdriver to the MoBo while it's on. Guaranteed short out, no way to tell if it was your fault. I assume you've already sorted through the moral implications of doing such a thing, so whatevs

Just make sure you are wearing rubber gloves or something so you dont kill yourself. 

(On Tomb Stone)

Died while trying to kill his shit laptop

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Hardware. This would just give him an excuse to reinstall Windows

true. So go grab a knife and short the mobo. or break the hard drive. its all hardware shit.

Or you could flash a corrupted BIOS

can you even do that on a laptop? my old lenovo one couldnt flash a bios without having lenovo do it for me

well then he could take out the cpu if he can and rip off some pins or take apart the HDD and purposely get one of the heads stuck if there is no tape around the hard drive or just drop the HDD on the ground a couple of times would work also.

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Or you could flash a corrupted BIOS

Bah, you're thinking to nicely. What you do is you take a soldering iron and just TAKE OFF the Bios Chip (along with some other ones you don't know about.)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Take the battery out and keep it unplugged. Find a cover that you can remove and that exposes the board. Grab a pair of straightened out paper clips and CAREFULLY insert one into the end of the charger plug (on the charger itself, not the machine) and the other on the outside of the charger barrel. You now have 2 pins with 19 volts between them and a few amps behind it. Have fun poking the board in a few places, you will get sparks, and will probably let the smoke out of a few places. Guaranteed to kill the machine, and likely the hard drive too.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Take the battery out and keep it unplugged. Find a cover that you can remove and that exposes the board. Grab a pair of straightened out paper clips and CAREFULLY insert one into the end of the charger plug (on the charger itself, not the machine) and the other on the outside of the charger barrel. You now have 2 pins with 19 volts between them and a few amps behind it. Have fun poking the board in a few places, you will get sparks, and will probably let the smoke out of a few places. Guaranteed to kill the machine, and likely the hard drive too.

I am Donald Trump, and I approve of this message.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I know far more awesome ways to kill things, but I'm not about to advise you on how to potentially kill yourself too :P.

Anyone who has the tools and know-how to do some more "spectacular" damage wouldn't ask how to do it, but would post pictures of what they have already done :D

This'd be a tad too obvious imo

Not really, you'd have components that usually run on 3, maybe 5 volts being blown apart by 19, a power supply failure could easily cause this.

You could get a hobby knife and cut across some traces in an area that would not be seen easily. Try cutting under the lip of the cpu carrier for instance so that it is not noticeable.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

THE POINT IS TO BE SUBTLE PEOPLE

Electronics failures are often far from subtle, ask my graphics card that has had 2 capacitors blow apart and spit fire out ;)

Also, some boards have spaces for components that are not placed. remove some chips so that it looks like they were left off. If you take off the right ones your laptop will not work.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

When you're commiting a crime, you want to leave NO traces, you don't want anything to be messy. Never mind that the house you just killed someone in would naturally be a little cluttered.

There's a slight difference between murder and trying to cause an electronic device to stop working, well, depriving a poor laptop of life should be a crime too really.

Not as far as I'm concerned. Still rocking a 2008 XP netbook because I don't have the heart to put it down -- my 6700HQ machine puts it to shame though

2008? That's rather young, I use a Satellite Pro from 2004 with XP on it. I did upgrade it to a 3.0 hyper-threaded processor though that instantly took battery life from 2 hours to 15 minutes. Considering upgrading the RAM as far as I can and putting 7 on it to run Visual Studio :)

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

The CPU wasn't soldered? Damn, that is old.

Back when Intel still used pins. Had to put a non-HT 2.6 CPU in it now as it took too much power, power supply kept overheating. Still better than the celeron that was in it.

In fact all my laptops have socketed CPU's (and it's awesome when a desktop CPU can be put in a laptop :D)

3 hours ago, kris2340k said:

1. Who are you trying to fool, if it is just your parents then I could list probably a hundred lol

Don't need the data

not reversible-thats the point lol

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

There's a slight difference between murder and trying to cause an electronic device to stop working, well, depriving a poor laptop of life should be a crime too really.

My trashtop deserves to be euthanized lol

3 hours ago, kris2340k said:

Just the parents, they promised to pay for half of what I buy when what I got kicks the bucket.

3 hours ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Just make sure you are wearing rubber gloves or something so you dont kill yourself. 

(On Tomb Stone)

Died while trying to kill his shit laptop

What if I just placed a screw or something on the mobo while running? No one gets hurt :) 

4 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Worse ways to go out imo. If it doesn't kill you though, this is also a surefire way to get yoself some of dose painkillers (same line of moral code, right)?

There's a fine line between illegally selling drugs and putting a laptop out of its misery lol-darn thing doesn't even work right half the time.