Tight budget.. RAM or PROC?

gun92

Hello citizen of linus.. i need your expertise on my current problem dilema sort of thing.. the thing is, i have a tight budget and this budget only can buy either new cpu or new ram... which one should i choose and worth? i already have G620 2.6ghz and 2X2gb ram ddr3 .. should i choose to upgrade my cpu or instead buy kingston Hyper X fury 8gb ram..this rig is intended for gaming.. of course not targeting that kinda ultra setting though..

My already budget rig X Scrapyard theme kinda thing

Pentium G620  2.6ghz 

Asus GTX 550ti

Asus mobo*too lazy to check but it has GPUboost though..

CM elite 450watt

2X2GB Ddr3 kingston

Thats all... CPU or 8GB ddr3 Hyper X ram

Budget :150$

Probably RAM

if your CPU is bottlenecking you in games, then upgrade that, but it it's not, there is no use to an upgrade, and RAM will be better

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

$150 in what currency?

if USD  you can get a used first gen i5/i7 and the ram upgrade for that price.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Yep in USD .. some folks say its better to go all out for proc=efficency=speed.. and others say.. go for a lot of rammm=speed.. my head hurts... :(

5 minutes ago, gun92 said:

Yep in USD .. some folks say its better to go all out for proc=efficency=speed.. and others say.. go for a lot of rammm=speed.. my head hurts... :(

ram only equals speed if you can use it. most games run fine on 8GB of ram. but that pentium CPU will hold you back in demanding games so i recommend you upgrade that to a first gen i5/i7 or Xeon equivalent if your motherboard supports cheap used Xeons 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

My mobo is 1155 socket though.. the only range for proc i can get is only i3 and i5.. if i choose to upgrade the cpu.. what cpu should i get?? i3 3210 perhaps??? 

1 hour ago, gun92 said:

My mobo is 1155 socket though.. the only range for proc i can get is only i3 and i5.. if i choose to upgrade the cpu.. what cpu should i get?? i3 3210 perhaps??? 

yeah in that case you can find a cheap sandy bridge i5 CPU and put it in there and call it a day, though there are LGA 1155 Xeons out there, i doubt they are compatible to your board. if you need a CPU id say an i5 2400. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Something like a i5 2500 (or a i5 Ivory Bridge if your mobo supports it) would be your best bet, might be able to fit a i5 and another 2x2GB kit in your budget.