Question about SSD and Recycle Bin

Koshigaya

Is there any way to change which drive's recycle bin my files go into? I find it pointless to have a file that I wanted delete from the HDD to get sent to the OS SSD's bin. Or does it not matter?

5 minutes ago, Koshigaya said:

Is there any way to change which drive's recycle bin my files go into? I find it pointless to have a file that I wanted delete from the HDD to get sent to the OS SSD's bin. Or does it not matter?

Honestly I didn't even know it could work that way, whenever I delete something though I just use shift + del which skips recycle bin completely. It might have something to do with which drive your OS is installed on. If your HDD is just backup/extra storage & SSD is the main boot drive for Windows that's normal I think.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

10 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Honestly I didn't even know it could work that way, whenever I delete something though I just use shift + del which skips recycle bin completely. It might have something to do with which drive your OS is installed on. If your HDD is just backup/extra storage & SSD is the main boot drive for Windows that's normal I think.

you could also disable the recycle bin completely

41 minutes ago, Koshigaya said:

That's not how recycle bin works. IT's not like the file is deleted on the drive and copien into the recycle bin or something. The file doesn't actually move anywhere. Instead a parameter in it is set to make it invisible anywhere other than the recycle bin. If you recover the file that parameter is changed back. If you clear the recycle bin, a second parameter is used to make it so that it can be overwritten. But the point is, the file never moves and the data stays perfectly put forever.

So in a sense, every drive has their own recycle bin and the thing you see on your windows desktop combines them all into one visual representation.

For what you want to happen, you have to first copy the file onto the HDD and then delete it on the HDD. That way it'll become visible in the recycle bin on the HDD. But if you jsut want to save space on the SSD and don't care about recycle bin per se, you can just set it up so that the files are set to hidden+overwriteable when you delete them or in Windows terms, don't send them to the recycle bin. In recycle bin, right click the background and pick properties. In there you can turn it off for individual drives.

Edit: Forgot: if you want to keep some files and lose some and pick individually, you can hit Delete to send them to recycle bin and Shift+Delete to delete permanently. Well, as permanently as you can without overwriting or "wiping" the drive.

20 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

you could also disable the recycle bin completely

20 hours ago, Naeaes said:

That's not how recycle bin works. IT's not like the file is deleted on the drive and copien into the recycle bin or something. The file doesn't actually move anywhere. Instead a parameter in it is set to make it invisible anywhere other than the recycle bin. If you recover the file that parameter is changed back. If you clear the recycle bin, a second parameter is used to make it so that it can be overwritten. But the point is, the file never moves and the data stays perfectly put forever.

So in a sense, every drive has their own recycle bin and the thing you see on your windows desktop combines them all into one visual representation.

For what you want to happen, you have to first copy the file onto the HDD and then delete it on the HDD. That way it'll become visible in the recycle bin on the HDD. But if you jsut want to save space on the SSD and don't care about recycle bin per se, you can just set it up so that the files are set to hidden+overwriteable when you delete them or in Windows terms, don't send them to the recycle bin. In recycle bin, right click the background and pick properties. In there you can turn it off for individual drives.

Edit: Forgot: if you want to keep some files and lose some and pick individually, you can hit Delete to send them to recycle bin and Shift+Delete to delete permanently. Well, as permanently as you can without overwriting or "wiping" the drive.

I've thought about changing it so it skips before but then if I misclick something it's gone forever. Which is why I prefer shift + del because it requires one to be more deliberate.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3