Alienware discussion

TonyTheNain

Ok so I see a lot of people complaining about Alienware on internet. I know we pay for the name and all this stuff, but they are still making good computers... I see people saying they are crap and they stop working not a long time after because of over heating and etc, but mine never had any problems and i have it for about 2 years and a half now and it is giving really good performances on high settings in game.

I want to know your opinions!

Everyone has their own personal preference about a computer. Some will like HP, Compaq, Asus and so on. Me personally I prefer building my own as I could get parts cheaper and I can do what I want and how I want lol. 

I looked at the prices of alienware PC's and I was like wtf because I looked at the specs and I could get the parts cheaper but that is my own personal opinion. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

The older alienware computers were better then the newer ones.

the newer ones are just dells with a better gpu, at crazy prices.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I have somewhat of a mixed opinion about this.

I do agree that Alienware systems are a bit overpriced. I could easily build a system with the same or better specs for cheaper.......however, I do think they are good systems and I like their chassis and lighting. I have always wanted to build a custom PC in an Alienware area 51 case for this very reason lol

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I remember when I built my very own PC with my money. I was considering an Alienware, because at the time the Aurora ALX looked cool as shit, until I learned that they use proprietary motherboards. That meant I would have to make my own mounting holes for the stand offs in the motherboard tray. I then scratched that idea and built one of my own. Thankfully, I learned a lot about PC hardware and had fun while doing so. Also my PC was a lot faster for the same amount of money and got a couple of games with my hardware. One was the nVidia coupon for Mafia 2 with my GTX 470 and another one was MW 2 for PC. The performance between Alienware and my PC was about 60% difference. Which made me and my brother (who was trying to convince me to build my PC) happy, since then I can easily upgrade my PC without any problems. Now with my skills and knowledge about PC hardware and at this point I'm fairly educated to make great decisions. Although my current PC case was a huge mistake, but I'll deal with it for now. 

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of case are you using?

2 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Read my signature.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was right there, now I feel stupid lol

Alienware -

You're paying for case and lighting design, for someone else to build it, and that Dell warranty.

Is that worth it?

Thats up to you, isn't it?

Everything else is bad. Laptops are okay. Since trying to get a gaming laptop is roughly the same price.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

they lowered their prices lately, an new aurora desktop with a 1070, 8gb ram and the newest i5 is roughly 1300,- euro's here, which isn't to bad considering you get a whole system with a case that can't be bought on the market.

personally still a " mehh" though

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

it simply comes down to how people treat their belongings. there are those who are meticulously careful and those that rough up their hardware then cry about it when it breaks. these are fragile things and its unfair to blame Dell for your mistreatment of its product. as with looks, definitely a buggatti versus bentley argument - matter of taste.

I used to love the look of an alienware but these days i prefer the smoother more uniform look of something like a XPS13 or razerblade, but that could be because of where i plan on using it

Before I knew anything about building computers and such, I actually really liked Alienware. My desktop is the same Area 51 I bought in 2010, only I have a 1070 in there now instead of the original cards that came with it. The case is enormous and well-built, and I will be keeping it when I replace my x58 board and CPU in the near future. And beyond that, I will keep using the case until it falls apart. My only gripe with it is that it's got no case window to see its tasty internals.

Before I upgraded my laptop to an MSI GS63VR last month, my laptop was an Alienware M15x, also from 2010. That thing is a tank. Sure, it weighs 11 pounds (not joking; I had an extended battery as well), but not a damn thing on that laptop got bent, broken, mangled; you get the idea. The entire computer except the keyboard deck is made of really thick metal plates, which is why it's so heavy and durable. I stepped on it one morning as I was getting out of bed, and it was as if nothing happened. The display is also pretty much perfect. No dead pixels or uneven backlighting and the colors are really vivid, even after six years of use.

Before I bought my MSI GS63, though, I tried buying an Alienware 15 back in June because of the quality of the Alienware hardware I own. Big mistake. It had terrible backlight bleed and three dead pixels in the display right out of the box. I called Dell about these issues, and they sent a tech out to replace the display within a week. The replacement display exhibited even more backlight bleed than before (it was all along the left side of the screen, visible even when that side of the screen isn't dark) and it also showed dead pixel in less than a week.

I expected the same quality as my M15x, and I was sorely mistaken. When a PC is as expensive as what I paid for that computer, it should be immaculate. Fortunately, my MSI is several hundred dollars cheaper, has a GTX 1060 instead of a 980M, has an all-aluminum body without any plastic aside from the screen bezel, and has none of the problems shown by the AW 15 I returned.

I wouldn't trust Alienware anymore. In 2010, they at least had good build quality.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

I can't really talk about there desktops, as there are so many options for that. For laptops from what I have gathered they are usually thick, have a big battery, usually good cooling, good screens, heavy, just slightly more expensive for comparable systems, arguably cool aesthetics, tons of lighting options, and the arguably good Dell support. People just like to hate on expensive things. Also if need assistance there are not many companies that will physically send a technician over to your house.  I am actually considering getting a laptop from them if I can not deal with the battery life the Clevo laptop I am ordering for gaming. Clevo's this gen have around a 60Whr battery, Alienware 99Whr. But Alienware doesn't have a switch to disable gsync, so it is either better non gaming life with Clevo, or better gaming life with Alienware.

15 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Everything else is bad. Laptops are okay. Since trying to get a gaming laptop is roughly the same price.

Exactly... i think all companies are overpricing their laptops actually