SATA Devices Prevent Boot?

Strider_03

So here is a bit of an odd one. I am building my buddy's new PC and everything operates as intended, except for one important thing. When I connect a SATA power cable to the PSU with the other end of the SATA power cable connected to the SSD and/or HDD, the system will not power on. If I have the SATA power cable connected to the PSU without being connected to the SATA devices, the system powers on just fine.  The PSU has three distinct connections for SATA devices, and I have tried all three of them. If anyone has any ideas, they are welcomed.

PC Specs:

PSU: EVGA 750 B2 Supernova

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

CPU: i5-4690K

GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti

SSD: Kingston 480 GB 

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

4 minutes ago, Strider_03 said:

So here is a bit of an odd one. I am building my buddy's new PC and everything operates as intended, except for one important thing. When I connect a SATA power cable to the PSU with the other end of the SATA power cable connected to the SSD and/or HDD, the system will not power on. If I have the SATA power cable connected to the PSU without being connected to the SATA devices, the system powers on just fine.  The PSU has three distinct connections for SATA devices, and I have tried all three of them. If anyone has any ideas, they are welcomed.

PC Specs:

PSU: EVGA 750 B2 Supernova

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

CPU: i5-4690K

GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti

SSD: Kingston 480 GB 

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

I'm mindfucked right now, try another cable??? 

Are unlike pins touching each other inside the power supply's connector, or the SATA connector on the other end of the harness?

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

I'm mindfucked right now, try another cable??? 

I have tried multiple cables, same result regardless.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Do both drives do it?

Yes, both drives do it. It happens when they are both connected at the same time or when just one at a time is connected.

Just now, Strider_03 said:

Yes, both drives do it. It happens when they are both connected at the same time or when just one at a time is connected.

Huh. If only one drive did it it would be a dead drive, I have one that does that, but since it's both I have no clue

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Are unlike pins touching each other inside the power supply's connector, or the SATA connector on the other end of the harness?

Not that I am aware of, I have tried different SATA cables though, so I think it is something to do with the PSU.

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

SSD is borked!?

try the SSD on a different system

If that was easier to do I probably would try that... If all else fails I might.

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Do you have a MOLEX to SATA adapter? You could try that instead?

I thought of that too, unfortunately I don't have one lying around. I know they're pretty inexpensive though.

I would get it tested. Maybe it's defective, and some of the wires got crossed at the SATA connection. I have no idea. I'd go with a test and possible RMA. That's weird.

Has anyone else recently cursed you?

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would get it tested. Maybe it's defective, and some of the wires got crossed at the SATA connection. I have no idea. I'd go with a test and possible RMA. That's weird.

Has anyone else recently cursed you?

Yeah, we went the RMA route. Funny you mention the curse, we've had multiple DOA components with this build. I think my buddy is cursed to be honest.

I would RMA the PSU.

Maybe the connection on the PSU is faulty and the PSU protection is kicking in.

It's not a race to the bottom.

5 hours ago, 0x1e said:

I would RMA the PSU.

Maybe the connection on the PSU is faulty and the PSU protection is kicking in.

That's what we did. Seemed to be the only option.

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but we got a new PSU in the system and it boots up with only the SSD connected. It still will not boot up with the hard drive connected.

46 minutes ago, Strider_03 said:

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but we got a new PSU in the system and it boots up with only the SSD connected. It still will not boot up with the hard drive connected.

It's been somewhat of a while since a new post has been created in this thread, but did you try another hard drive in the system? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's been somewhat of a while since a new post has been created in this thread, but did you try another hard drive in the system? 

No, I think we're going to get one though and see what happens. I just tried the "bad" hard drive again today and it's only when it's connected via SATA power that the system does not boot. 

this is going to sound dumb but, how many fans do you have? i had a problem with having to many fans installed and at startup everything will pull pretty much max power and it lock the pc up. 

On 10/2/2016 at 0:36 AM, blackadder said:

this is going to sound dumb but, how many fans do you have? i had a problem with having to many fans installed and at startup everything will pull pretty much max power and it lock the pc up. 

There are two case fans.