Low profile cpu cooler on a budget

nzpancakes
Go to solution Solved by nzpancakes,
8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's not exactly the most reliable source and it lacks a lot of details. 

We have no idea what is meant by 'at load', what software was used, and at what voltage.

It could be just some light gaming for all we know.

Also, I guess I dont really need an insane overclock for the build im doing anyways, with only having an msi 1060 6gb gpu It will probably get bottlenecked anyways, The main reason I was not going for the ever-so-popular hyper 212 evo was because it was so tall.

I am looking for a low profile-downward draft cpu cooler to cool an i7-6600k for around $25-$30 that is red and black.I would like it to be mostly silent at all times. I AM going to be overclocking the cpu. 

Board SIze: ATX

Board Socket: LG1151

The build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gZKh7h

If it's available in your country, find a ID-Cooling IS-50 Cooler. It's a nice low profile cooler on a budget. Comes with decent tools and thermal paste also. Hope this helps

Adobo, Kilawin, Liempo and More. :)

4 minutes ago, AlvinPacheco said:

If it's available in your country, find a ID-Cooling IS-50 Cooler. It's a nice low profile cooler on a budget. Comes with decent tools and thermal paste also. Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion! though, I should have specified its an itx board xD sorry!

Just now, nzpancakes said:

Thanks for the suggestion! though, I should have specified its an itx board xD sorry!

It will support one.

4 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

I recommend cryorig c7, c1 or noctua nh l9i.

Thanks for the suggestions! but they are all outside of my budget!

Why a low profile cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why a low profile cooler?

I have A nice looking motherboard and Ram and I dont want the cpu cooler to stick out and make it look terrible

12 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

I recommend cryorig c7, c1 or noctua nh l9i.

Can you paint the fan and fan outline?

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

Can you paint the fan and fan outline?

I don't know well about painting, but there are plenty of videos about painting fans.

2 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

I have A nice looking motherboard and Ram and I dont want the cpu cooler to stick out and make it look terrible

The Thermaltake NiC C5 comes to mind immediately as red and black and not dominating the entire motherboard, but it's out of your price range and a pretty poor value.

Your best bet is probably to pick up a $35 Cryorig H7 with its sexy black top, then buy a red fan to replace the included white one. Painting fans is a bad idea, because the added weight can throw the distribution off. Failing that, there are some red/black budget downdraft coolers out there, like the Rosewill RCX-Z300, but don't plan on doing any overclocking with those.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The Thermaltake NiC C5 comes to mind immediately as red and black and not dominating the entire motherboard, but it's out of your price range and a pretty poor value.

Your best bet is probably to pick up a $35 Cryorig H7 with its sexy black top, then buy a red fan to replace the included white one. Painting fans is a bad idea, because the added weight can throw the distribution off. Failing that, there are some red/black budget downdraft coolers out there, like the Rosewill RCX-Z300, but don't plan on doing any overclocking with those.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions! While the cryorig h7 does have an very sexy black top ;D, I was talking more about a downward draft cpu cooler. Im sorry for the confusion!

22 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

The C7 is your best bet in your budget but you're probably not going to get much oc'ing room with a small downdraft cooler. 

If you're willing to push the budget, the GeminII S524 v2 would be better: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7XH48d/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrg5v220pkr1

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The C7 is your best bet in your budget but you're probably not going to get much oc'ing room with a small downdraft cooler. 

If you're willing to push the budget, the GeminII S524 v2 would be better: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7XH48d/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrg5v220pkr1

Thanks for the suggestion! While I do like your suggestion, it is 50cm higher than the c7, and the $7 extra dollars is not a problem, but, from the reviews I read on the c7, overclocking will not be a problem, one review I read said they reached an overclock of 4.4 with the cpu only hitting 50 degrees.

8 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Thanks for the suggestion! While I do like your suggestion, it is 50cm higher than the c7, and the $7 extra dollars is not a problem, but, from the reviews I read on the c7, overclocking will not be a problem, one review I read said they reached an overclock of 4.4 with the cpu only hitting 50 degrees.

If that oc is on a 6600k, that sounds too good to be true. Link to the article?

Just now, nzpancakes said:

With a C7?!

Up until tonight, I had a 6700 (non-K) with a C7 on it. In RealBench, it floated around 60-65C at peak. The C7 really isn't suited for overclocking, and is designed more for use as a quieter, better-looking stock replacement or in Mini ITX builds than it is for overclocking a 6700K. I switched the C7 out for a beefier cooler, by the way.

I do love my C7 and already have it back in use on an i3-6100, which I think it's much more suited for. If you want to get any kind of meaningful overclock out of a 6700K, imo, you're going to need something more substantial than a C7 to do it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

We have no idea what is meant by 'at load', what software was used, and at what voltage.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

thats true.... but I also researched your suggestion of the gemini, and I figured out it covers the ram sticks, which I cannot have and is one of my main points for getting a low profile cooler

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Also, I guess I dont really need an insane overclock for the build im doing anyways, with only having an msi 1060 6gb gpu It will probably get bottlenecked anyways, The main reason I was not going for the ever-so-popular hyper 212 evo was because it was so tall.

Edited by nzpancakes

2 hours ago, nzpancakes said:

I meant an lg1151 board

It's still compatible. Intel use the same mounting holes for all LGA 115X sockets.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

On 9/25/2016 at 2:49 PM, nzpancakes said:

I meant an lg1151 board

Still, It will support one.

The case can handle 165mm height. Low budget coolers are :

- Xilence I402

- Rajintek Aidos

- Rajintek Themis

- Maybe the Deepcool Assasin 2 (167mm), contact the manufacturer. This is a big cooler, but chances are it fits, deepcool can not be that stupid that they would make a red/black cooler that does not fit into their red/black case.

Going for even smaller coolers is ridiculous with a 6600k. Imho: If you are so obsessed with the color red and cheap coolers, you are better off buying a 6500 cpu and not 6600k.