Two old drives, SMART values ok?

Gnomo

Hello everyone!

I have two HDDs here and got some S.M.A.R.T values. Can you tell me if those are alright or if the data needs to be moved on a new hdd?
HDD 1: WD Green 2TB 352GB free
(ID) Attribute Now Worst Value

(01) Raw read error rate 200 200 0

(03) Spinup time 151 146 9408

(04) Start/Stop count 98 98 2755

(05) Reallocated sector count 200 200 0

(07) Seek error rate 200 200 0

(09) Power-on hours count 83 83 12659

(0A) Spinup retry count 100 100 0

(0B) Calibration retry count 100 100 0

(0C) Power cycle count 98 98 2751

(C0) Power-off retract count 200 200 151

(C1) Load/Unload cycle count 155 155 135901

(C2) HDA temperature 117 89 35

(C4) Reallocation count 200 200 0

(C5) Current pending sector count 200 200 0

(C6) Offline scan uncorrectable count 200 200 0

(C7) UDMA CRC error rate 200 200 0

(C8) Write error rate 200 200 0

HDD 2: Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB 30GB free
(ID) Attribute Now Worst Value

(01) Raw read error rate 57 48 46074323

(03) Spinup time 96 96 0

(04) Start/Stop count 92 92 8862

(05) Reallocated sector count 100 100 0

(07) Seek error rate 89 60 836996822

(09) Power-on hours count 75 75 21998

(0A) Spinup retry count 100 100 0

(0C) Power cycle count 95 95 5681

(C2) HDA temperature 32 59 25769803808

(C3) Hardware ECC recovered 57 48 46074323

(C5) Current pending sector count 100 100 0

(C6) Offline scan uncorrectable count 100 100 0

(C7) UDMA CRC error rate 200 199 4

(C8) Write error rate 100 253 0

(CA) Data Address Mark errors 100 253 0

Thanks for the help!

Reallocateds are both equal to zero.  Cycle count is pretty high on the Seagate.  Hours count on both is pretty low. 

UDMA CRC error rate is 4 on the Seagate, but that's often caused by older SATA controllers and/or bad SATA cables.  And nothing to do with the drive itself.

There's no reason to believe failure is imminent with either, but you should always keep backups.

Any advice for a 2.5TB+ backup hdd for under 100€? The problem is that the backup 2TB died and atm I run without backup.

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Reallocateds are both equal to zero.  Cycle count is pretty high on the Seagate.  Hours count on both is pretty low. 

UDMA CRC error rate is 4 on the Seagate, but that's often caused by older SATA controllers and/or bad SATA cables.  And nothing to do with the drive itself.

There's no reason to believe failure is imminent with either, but you should always keep backups.

I'd look for a HGST or a Toshiba 3TB in 5400rpm or 7200rpm flavor.   Should be able to do it In the 100 euro range.

3 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I'd look for a HGST or a Toshiba 3TB in 5400rpm or 7200rpm flavor.   Should be able to do it In the 100 euro range.

Toshiba are good for keeping the data a few years? The hdd should work for the next 4 years.

3 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

Toshiba are good for keeping the data a few years? The hdd should work for the next 4 years.

I'd rather HGST over Toshiba, even though they're apparently built in the same factory.  But I'm not sure what you can get your hands on.  The whole point of a backup/redundancy strategy is that you're not overly worrying about a drive failing. 

10 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I'd rather HGST over Toshiba.  But I'm not sure what you can get your hands on.  The whole point of a backup/redundancy strategy is that you're not overly worrying about a drive failing. 

those are internal? Shouldnt a backup be external? Atleast I believed that till now.

There are external SKU's available at a nominal additional cost.  I generally recommend against most of them as they're basically plastic torture chambers for hard drives.  Hard drives are very delicate instruments which should be properly mounted to meet their vibration and thermal specs.  

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

There are external SKU's available at a nominal additional cost.  I generally recommend against most of them as they're basically plastic torture chambers for hard drives.  Hard drives are very delicate instruments which should be properly mounted to meet their vibration and thermal specs.  

So you think a internal backup is no problem? (viruses etc.) or just put them in the hdd cage and don't plug them in?

1 minute ago, Gnomo said:

So you think a internal backup is no problem? (viruses etc.) or just put them in the hdd cage and don't plug them in?

I like the idea of backing up to an off-site computer through some sort of network. 

If you have to use an external HDD because that's all you have available, that's certainly better than nothing. 

You can even buy fire-safe vaults these days that allow you to pass a USB connection into. 

It all depends upon what you want to protect, to what extent you need to protect it, and your technical competency.  Some people can put their life's important stuff on a USB stick and throw it in their vault.  Others need sophisticated off-site backups.  There's a whole pile of options.  Search tech quickie -- Linus may have done a video on backup options.

23 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I like the idea of backing up to an off-site computer through some sort of network. 

If you have to use an external HDD because that's all you have available, that's certainly better than nothing. 

You can even buy fire-safe vaults these days that allow you to pass a USB connection into. 

It all depends upon what you want to protect, to what extent you need to protect it, and your technical competency.  Some people can put their life's important stuff on a USB stick and throw it in their vault.  Others need sophisticated off-site backups.  There's a whole pile of options.  Search tech quickie -- Linus may have done a video on backup options.

It is basicly some photos (not so important) and a huge load of 3D Objects and Models (around 1.4 TB of those). If there really is a fire, well shit. But I don't want to lose it just because I got a hard drive failure.

€: I thought of saving to a 3TB external drive once a month and keep the hdd at another house.

€2: Thought of something like this: http://www.net-factory.de/xanario_pinfo.php?language=de&cPath=887_888_898&products_id=390976&sessID=021e4ae8987c941824a7ce4e828cb92a

which I found in a fast google search with a nice price/gb and not the worst marks

€3: Another idea would be to buy a internal hdd and make an external storage device out of it.

11 hours ago, Mark77 said:

well, I did now what you meant is best. I got a scrapyard PC today for 30€ and a 3TB drive. Any advice/guides how to set this up properly?