Did Adobe Premiere Pro broke my graphics card?

trylo

Hi!

So here is the situation: one of the sequences in Premiere Pro kept freezing my computer, I had to restart it a couple of times. Premiere has some problems with CUDA from time to time, so I switched to software rendering and it was ok, I tried importing project to another project and turned on CUDA again and again computer froze. But after restarting some weird stuff is going on. Have a look at the picture and the video. Is my card broken? Now I manged to boot without problems, I have good image on both monitors, but I don't know what is going on...

Sequence 02.mp4

2016-09-22 18.36.22.jpg

Sequence 02.mp4

It's a Gigabyte GTX780, about 3 years old, it's in editing machine, so working between 8-24h a day.

The rest of the system: i7-4770k, 32GB RAM, BeQuiet PSU, Asus Z97M-Plus

But now it's working just fine. How can I diagnose it to be 100% sure?

7 minutes ago, trylo said:

Hi!

So here is the situation: one of the sequences in Premiere Pro kept freezing my computer, I had to restart it a couple of times. Premiere has some problems with CUDA from time to time, so I switched to software rendering and it was ok, I tried importing project to another project and turned on CUDA again and again computer froze. But after restarting some weird stuff is going on. Have a look at the picture and the video. Is my card broken? Now I manged to boot without problems, I have good image on both monitors, but I don't know what is going on...

I honestly don't think PrPro killed your GPU. I've used it a lot and I know it's really buggy with AMD drivers (for example) on Windows 10. It could be that the OC it has (if any) is unstable when using CUDA acceleration. It could also be a dead card, of course, but I would try any other bossibility before changing it if you don't plan to do so. Try downloading MSI Kombustor for benchmarks, try a bunch of them from different groups for some minutes and see what happens...

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

5 minutes ago, trylo said:

How can I diagnose it to be 100% sure?

I suggest a stress test or benchmark.

2 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

I honestly don't think PrPro killed your GPU. I've used it a lot and I know it's really buggy with AMD drivers (for example) on Windows 10. It could be that the OC it has (if any) is unstable when using CUDA acceleration. It could also be a dead card, of course, but I would try any other bossibility before changing it if you don't plan to do so. Try downloading MSI Kombustor for benchmarks, try a bunch of them from different groups for some minutes and see what happens...

But it's so weird, I render 8 different sequences now and it works fine, but with that one sequence it freezes every time. There must be some connection...

Just now, trylo said:

But it's so weird, I render 8 different sequences now and it works fine, but with that one sequence it freezes every time. There must be some connection...

Ok, so the problem is limited to a single sequence? Which accelerated effects are you using in that particular seq? Are you using Frame sampling, Frame blending or Optical flow?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

okay no
first use DDU uninstaller to uninstall the drivers
then reinstall the latest drivers
try again

ffs someone jumped to the conclusion of dead gpu. ive seen stuff like this on my gtx 770 with new drivers playing bf4
just find a stable driver first
for me 365.19 was the most stable

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

Ok, so the problem is limited to a single sequence? Which accelerated effects are you using in that particular seq? Are you using Frame sampling, Frame blending or Optical flow?

In that sequence there is:

1. Comp link from AE

2. Nested sequence and in that sequence 4 ProRes files with masks stacked.

I really doubt that the application directly caused this damage.  I'd expect something else on the device was marginal and it failed under load from Adobe or another graphically heavy application.  Can you check the device, maybe clean and reseat it?

Just now, trylo said:

In that sequence there is:

1. Comp link from AE

2. Nested sequence and in that sequence 4 ProRes files with masks stacked.

I see, so you're not using any effect or different Interframe rendering? Anyways, it could be something in the AE composition, or the Dynamic link itself. Try removing it to see if it solves the problem.  Try also to remove some of the things (like the stacked masks or the nest) to see if that's the cause.

Just now, LionSpeck said:

I see, so you're not using any effect or different Interframe rendering? Anyways, it could be something in the AE composition, or the Dynamic link itself. Try removing it to see if it solves the problem.  Try also to remove some of the things (like the stacked masks or the nest) to see if that's the cause.

Well... That's not the point. I render that weird sequence already using Mercury Software Engine, took more time, but it's done. I'm just worried that I might have a ticking failure bomb... I will try @mok advice and then benchmark it with MSI Kombustor.

Just now, trylo said:

Well... That's not the point. I render that weird sequence already using Mercury Software Engine, took more time, but it's done. I'm just worried that I might have a ticking failure bomb... I will try @mok advice and then benchmark it with MSI Kombustor.

What I'm trying to understand is if some of the parts of your sequence make the system unstable (like the Dynamic link which requires AE's engine to be launched) or are buggy with your particular version of the driver (same thing that happens to me with Optical flow for example). What you show in the video is strange things on the display then a BSOD which is very unlikely to be a dead card. It seems like PrPro is trying to make the GPU do too many stuff or some stuff in an incorrect way therefore the GPU driver crashes or the Video card itself does

Update no. 1:

I run the MSi Kombustor Plasma stress test. 40 seconds into the test and it crushed.

I will uninstall and reinstall fresh drivers.

2016-09-22 21.40.26.jpg

2016-09-22 21.40.31.jpg

Update no. 2:

I used DDU and installed an older version of drivers: 372.70, again froze after 23 seconds. This time I didn't have to reset it, Windows popped up a window saying MSI Kombustor stopped working.

Is my card dying?

Update no. 3

I ran the test for the 3rd time. 10 minutes in and there is no problem...

Is it even possible that a program like Adobe can kill your GPU?

Seems pretty funny.

16 minutes ago, demonaii said:

Is it even possible that a program like Adobe can kill your GPU?

Seems pretty funny.

Maybe it is, I don't know much about hardware. But that's how it looked like: Adobe crushed the computer and after restart I saw what's in the video.

• 4 years later...

Yes i had the same problem while using Premiere pro today.. Adobe crashed and i saw this on my screen... 

Premiere pro is bad. Wtf!!!!!