Vive Minumum Requirements

Semoure Dickens

So my desktop has a FX 6350, GTX 970, 8 gigs of DDR3 ram. How well would I be able to run games on the Vive? I know that the GPU and RAM meet the minimum requirements but I don't know about the CPU. Also, how what kind of CPU would have the best cost to performance increase from a 6350? Thanks!

Seems to be fine according to SteamVR's performance test. https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/03/31/is-your-pc-ready-for-vr-amd-has-you-covered-with-processors-recommended-for-vr-by-htc-and-valve

The best value upgrade would probably be a modern locked i5. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have an Intel Core i5 4590, GTX 1060, 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM and it runs perfectly. I used to have a GTX 960 and played some games, but not too graphic heavy. Now I play most, if not all, games on it pretty good.

You'll be fine. Keep in mind the recommended spec is to guarantee you can play ANY vr game. Even if games with a high visual fidelity like The Gallery and Gnomes & Goblins might not run, you'll be perfectly capable of running games with simpler graphics like Rec Room, Zombie Training Simulator, probably even The Lab.  

And those will keep you occupied for long enough for the i5 to ship ;)

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)