Building a new PC for my Dad

spellmanuk

My dad was going to buy a pre build machine from PC world that thing cost £450 so the budget is about £550-£500 max I threw together a quick pcpartpicker list could you guys help me possibly make this build cheaper anywhere whilst still being better value than the PC world one also it need a DVD drive his uses are normal dad stuff so web browsing emails spreadsheets iTunes and he also does quite a lot of photoshop

PC world pre built 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-aspire-xc-780-desktop-pc-10146423-pdt.html

pc part picker 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bwRQPs

I lurk a lot

Just now, GSTARR said:

Are you doing this because it doesn't have a gpu?

No his PC blew up in a lightning storm 

I lurk a lot

If he doesn't do any gaming you could probably get a good AMD build with an APU and not have to worry about a graphics card.

Even on a small budget I would still go with a SSD for all the programs. It's just so much nicer and keeps your pc so much longer running smoothly!

7 minutes ago, Enivitation said:

Even on a small budget I would still go with a SSD for all the programs. It's just so much nicer and keeps your pc so much longer running smoothly!

He has a lot of photos and music since he's currently digitising his CD collection (he's about 1/2 way through a 2000 cd collection) and SSD won't cut it and I don't exactly want to deal with multiple hard drives 

I lurk a lot

11 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

If he doesn't do any gaming you could probably get a good AMD build with an APU and not have to worry about a graphics card.

I mean I thought that but I don't think there is enough water for my skin to bathe in if I did that 

I lurk a lot

51 minutes ago, peej said:

I mean I thought that but I don't think there is enough water for my skin to bathe in if I did that 

You have to think of it from the contractor-client prospective. You may much prefer an intel chip with a beefy GPU, but if this person only uses iTunes and checks his email he does not need that. Think about what serves his needs. An alternate choice, if you are prejudiced against AMD, is to go with an intel celeron processor and overclock the bejezzus out of it. Those are like 30 bucks.

5 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

You have to think of it from the contractor-client prospective. You may much prefer an intel chip with a beefy GPU, but if this person only uses iTunes and checks his email he does not need that. Think about what serves his needs. An alternate choice, if you are prejudiced against AMD, is to go with an intel celeron processor and overclock the bejezzus out of it. Those are like 30 bucks.

I just added the gpu in because his last PC (before it was fried) got to the point where it was so slow that it need a gpu in order to not have the screen cut to black every two seconds. So I just wanted to future proof also while it's not necessary for photoshop it will certainly help  

I lurk a lot