Mini-ITX Motherboards (Which One)

Building inside the SG13 and coming down on the important components, requiring research and confirmation. The GPU and CPU were pretty easy.

Looking at this one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4RkwrH/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170ngaming5

Overclock friendly, only. (Z170)

Any suggestions or critiques? i7 6700k

Also, it goes inside the SG13 and the Gigabyte has that heat pipe on the motherboard components. I figured the heat pipe would benefit the system overall, considering the size and air flow.

Edited title for clarity MINI-ITX

Cost not an issue, and they range between $120 and $180. I just want the highest quality for the price. I already decided on the Gigabyte unless someone else could show me a superior option and why. I would like making sure that each component makes for the best possible experience and should last me a long enough time.

I've been using an ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming for about the last month and a half and have been quite happy with it, rock solid, though the highest I've overclocked was just 4.5 Ghz, that was however by simply pushing a button and letting the ASUS utility set it that way. My processor is also a 6700K

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

Is that a mini-ITX board or just a brand recommendation? I got a Gigabyte board inside my current PC and that thing works and looks well enough.

1 minute ago, UndueHatred said:

Is that a mini-ITX board or just a brand recommendation? I got a Gigabyte board inside my current PC and that thing works and looks well enough.

its mini-ITX

build: Frankenstein http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QLBRVY

i know it's nuts but the drives i bought over time as i need more storage.

1 minute ago, Kantor said:

its mini-ITX

Sorry, I meant that for the post above and did not even look at yours until now. Yeah, I like how that board looks (all black). I just like the heat pipe on the gaming version since this was a SFF build inside a tiny case that only has the rad for intake and airflow, including an open-air style GPU

3 minutes ago, Kantor said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MWbkcf/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170nwifi

this one is cheaper made by gigabyte and does pretty much the same things as the one you picked out.

Your original choice might be better if overclocking is really important as it has the heatsinks/heatpipe over the VRM components, the GA-Z170N has none of that, not even heatsinks. Still a fine board though.

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

2 minutes ago, UndueHatred said:

Sorry, I meant that for the post above and did not even look at yours until now. Yeah, I like how that board looks (all black). I just like the heat pipe on the gaming version since this was a SFF build inside a tiny case that only has the rad for intake and airflow, including an open-air style GPU

for what its worth the ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming is a mini-ITX board.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TykwrH/asus-motherboard-z170iprogaming

1 minute ago, rmurad38 said:

Your original choice might be better if overclocking is really important as it has the heatsinks/heatpipe over the VRM components, the GA-Z170N has none of that, not even heatsinks. Still a fine board though.

This ^

h80i v2 being the only intake and overclocking planned would support that choice. I was just wondering had anyone encountered any reproducible bad experiences about the brand or specific product.

Just now, UndueHatred said:

This ^

h80i v2 being the only intake and overclocking planned would support that choice. I was just wondering had anyone encountered any reproducible bad experiences about the brand or specific product.

i dont kinow about that board but i used to own a gigabyte board ans it never gave me problems for years it still works to this day.

Just now, Kantor said:

i dont kinow about that board but i used to own a gigabyte board ans it never gave me problems for years it still works to this day.

Totes Uggo (the Asus) except I really like all the USB ports. Although, the type C on the Gigabyte seems cool. Though anecdotal, my Gigabyte motherboard has lasted me too.

5 minutes ago, UndueHatred said:

Totes Uggo (the Asus) except I really like all the USB ports. Although, the type C on the Gigabyte seems cool. Though anecdotal, my Gigabyte motherboard has lasted me too.

I don't think you'd go wrong with almost any Z170 based board. I only mentioned mine since it was my first Mini-ITX board but has worked out quite well. Not saying its better at all. I've used Gigabyte in the past and been very satisfied. I have a 2600k build now about 5 years old and the gigabyte board (full ATX) has been flawless. I just decided to change up the brand this time around. I also liked the connector arrangement of it in my particular case (EVGA Hadron Air) as it made for very neat and tidy cable management. I'm not a fan of how that Gigabyte board has its USB 3 header right in the middle. In my case, that wouldn't look too good. As for appearance, the ASUS looks okay to me, not really better or worse, personal preference I guess, though I do agree that the "Pro Gaming" label on the PCH heatsink is pretty terrible. Thankfully I have a large air cooler and for the most part none of that is seen. That type C port is nice, not super useful yet but it may be eventually. My board does have a pair of 3.1 ports but the old style connector. Anyhow, that Gigabyte looks good, has reviewed well and should be a solid base for a beast of a small system. Good luck!

rmurad38

49 minutes ago, UndueHatred said:

Building inside the SG13 and coming down on the important components, requiring research and confirmation. The GPU and CPU were pretty easy.

Looking at this one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4RkwrH/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170ngaming5

Overclock friendly, only. (Z170)

Any suggestions or critiques? i7 6700k

Also, it goes inside the SG13 and the Gigabyte has that heat pipe on the motherboard components. I figured the heat pipe would benefit the system overall, considering the size and air flow.

Edited title for clarity MINI-ITX

Looks a solid choice. The USB3 header in the middle of the board isn't ideal, but there is normally a compromise like that on most m-ITX boards. 

I have also had good experiences with Gigabyte boards, never had one fail on me, both been a model of stability, unlike Asus...  

That actually suites my build since I was hoping that I could jam a second fan on my h80i since all the relevant headers face up.

The Asus Z170i pro gaming basicly is an okay choice.

You cannot realy go wrong with it, and it should be capable to reach a reasonable overclock.

Of course if you want the best of best, and if you are aiming for the best overclocking experiance.

Then you cannot get arround the Asus Maximus VIII Impact.

However that board of course comes with a price. :)

Another sollid option would be the Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX ac.

This board also has a very nice vrm design on it,

controlled by the IR35201 pwm.

with 6 true phases for Vcore and decent quality mosfets, inductors and output capacitors.

So my list of recommendation in order.

1 Asus maximus VIII Impact: Créme de la créme.

2: Asrock Z170 Gaming itx ac: very good vrm for a mini itx board.

5: Asus Z170i pro gaming: Good midrange choice.

The 1st two were rated pretty poorly on newegg and the 3rd choice just looks tacky, even though it got at least 4 stars.

3 hours ago, UndueHatred said:

The 1st two were rated pretty poorly on newegg and the 3rd choice just looks tacky, even though it got at least 4 stars.

I personaly dont realy look at buyers ratings on sites like newegg.

Because they most of the time hit nor land nor see.

And maybe 85% of the issues they have might be caused by human error.

The Impact and the Asrock are pretty much the best Z170 mini itx boards out there.

With also a honnerable mention for the EVGA Stinger.

But the Asus Z170 I pro gaming is a very good choice aswell.

So my recommendation just pickup the one that suits your needs best.

Interesting. Honestly, I first looked at the Asus for the many USB ports. I like my USB ports. The thing was, though, heat management. The case only has one fan intaking air, the one on the radiator. The GPU has internal exhaust, which is fine. The only concern, then, was passive cooling on my chipset and such. Now, not being one hundred percent certain, I felt the heat pipe on the Gigabyte's chipset would benefit my particular heat management needs. That and my experience having Gigabyte products has thus far been positive. I also like the type c connector. I really wanted an all black one, though it is not important considering how visible the motherboard would end up being.