I7 6700k overclocking question

LordBacon

So i had a thought earlier today and i figured this would be the best place to ask. will overclocking an I7 6700k slow down the integrated graphics component? i have no experience with overclocking so i figured id ask for my own curiosity.

1 minute ago, LordBacon said:

So i had a thought earlier today and i figured this would be the best place to ask. will overclocking an I7 6700k slow down the integrated graphics component? i have no experience with overclocking so i figured id ask for my own curiosity.

no. it will not affect your iGPU performance in any way unless your thermals get out of control and it has to throttle itself. SOME locked skew CPU's will have their iGPU disabled if you attempt to BCLK overclock your CPU, but that is not the case with multiplier OC on skylake.

Fun fact, I've heard you can actually overclock the HD530 iGPU, perhaps that is worth looking into if you were curious. Not sure if its true or not and i've never looked into it myself, but thats something i've heard. (okay, so maybe its not a 'fact'... but its sure fun!)

No. But you can overclock the iGPU too if you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

no. it will not affect your iGPU performance in any way unless your thermals get out of control and it has to throttle itself. SOME locked skew CPU's will have their iGPU disabled if you attempt to BCLK overclock your CPU, but that is not the case with multiplier OC on skylake.

Fun fact, I've heard you can actually overclock the HD530 iGPU, perhaps that is worth looking into if you were curious. Not sure if its true or not and i've never looked into it myself, but thats something i've heard. (okay, so maybe its not a 'fact'... but its sure fun!)

that would be fun to look into. i got my I7 6700k in the mail today and should get the other parts within the next week for my build. might do some tinkering for fits and giggles.

15 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Yes you can. And surprisingly, it follows the same BCLK*Multiplier rule, rather than being it's own thing with it's own clock. Which is a shame, because you can only move in 50mhz steps before you have to resort to the Bclk.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!