i7 6700k overclocking issue.

I have an intel core i7-6700k, and I have it overclocked to 4.5Ghz, but my concern comes when I have to keep the voltage at a minimum of 1.385 in order to keep it stable. I'm worried about the longevity of my CPU. The highest CPU temps I've experienced were 85c under full load from prime 95 26.6

My current specs are as follows:

Mobo:            MSI z170A PC Mate

CPU:               i7-6700k

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 evo

GPU:             GTX 1070 FE

PSU:             EVGA 600B

I would personally back it off a step if you have the volts that high, a bit high for my personal taste on a Hyper 212 evo. its a great cooler for the price, but not to push near the upper level of the stable volts. Max 24/7 volts recommended voltage is 1.4v. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

WOW that voltage is HIGH, I thought mine was bad at 1.29V for a 4.5Ghz overclock, also DON'T USE PRIME95 on these for stress testing.

Are you sure you are overclocking properly? I've not heard of any 6700k taking that much voltage for a 4.5 overclock.

I think i'll bring it down to possibly 4.3-4.4 and see what kind of voltages I need for that.

Yeah, that's the voltage my i5 6600K needs for 4.7 (slightly less actually), the 6700K should require even lesser voltage for that frequency, let alone 4.5 GHz.

Mess around with other BIOS settings such as LLC and dynamic vcore. Or it could be that you have an abnormally terrible chip.

4 hours ago, Natsugami said:

I have an intel core i7-6700k, and I have it overclocked to 4.5Ghz, but my concern comes when I have to keep the voltage at a minimum of 1.385 in order to keep it stable. I'm worried about the longevity of my CPU. The highest CPU temps I've experienced were 85c under full load from prime 95 26.6

My current specs are as follows:

Mobo:            MSI z170A PC Mate

CPU:               i7-6700k

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 evo

GPU:             GTX 1070 FE

PSU:             EVGA 600B

Not surprised. The 212 isn't that good of a cooler as people try to make it sound. You should dial down the OC and voltage. Find out how much you need for 4.4, that should be better.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

So i'm back after making some cpu adjustments, I have downclocked the cpu to 4.4Ghz, so not that much of a loss in my opinion, but I was able to drop the voltage by a considerable amount in my opinion, from the above stated 1.385 down to 1.31.

Does anyone have any opinions on this jump in necessary voltage?

21 minutes ago, Natsugami said:

So i'm back after making some cpu adjustments, I have downclocked the cpu to 4.4Ghz, so not that much of a loss in my opinion, but I was able to drop the voltage by a considerable amount in my opinion, from the above stated 1.385 down to 1.31.

The lottery is telling you that your CPU caps at around 4.4ghz. More than that and it needs a BIG voltage step. Congratz, you've got yourself a sub average chip.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

15 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

The lottery is telling you that your CPU caps at around 4.4ghz. More than that and it needs a BIG voltage step. Congratz, you've got yourself a sub average chip.

That sucks, but thanks, i'm glad that's all it comes down to honestly. Luckily for my workload, gaming and video editing, this isn't too much of a hit to my performance. Thanks to everyone who helped with this topic.

1 hour ago, Natsugami said:

thats about the jump I need to go from 4.5 to 4.6, I can do 4.5 at 1.29v but 4.6 takes like 1.345v or so, good news is you temps should be down 10C or so with that much of a voltage drop.

10 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Not surprised. The 212 isn't that good of a cooler as people try to make it sound. You should dial down the OC and voltage. Find out how much you need for 4.4, that should be better.

a 212 Evo is a GREAT cooler for the money, just replaced the stock cooler on my Work PC running an FX6300 which has a slightly higher TDP then the 6700k and it dropped LOAD temps by 17C over the CLEAN (was filled with dust and ran MUCH MUCH hotter before) stock cooler.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

a 212 Evo is a GREAT cooler for the money, 

It's great for the money. But that doesn't mean it's cooling power is the same as higher end coolers (either air or water), as people sometimes make it sound.

The 212 is a good cooler that allows for some small overclocking on a budget. But that's as far as it goes.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

an FX6300 which has a slightly higher TDP then the 6700k

Intel and AMD TDPs are not comparable in the slightest. Period. In fact, CPU TDP ratings are useless as a whole and should pretty much never be used.