4790k overclocking

Vegetable

Hi all. Yeah my 4790k is super not a lottery winner (or loser for that matter) and hates me. I have literally NO REASON to be overclocking it but I gotta go fast so I have to.

Anyways, it does 4.6ghz stable at 1.27v which is totally fine. But I even TRY to do 4.7ghz, and it just won't. 1.3v, crashes at idle. 1.325v, it's stable enough to run CS:GO but I even open GTA V and it just crashes. At 1.35v, its 100% stable in aida64, but if I run it in GTA V it totally just poops out. Should I just say fuck it and keep it at 4.6ghz? Advice is appreciated. Thanks. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

5 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I have literally NO REASON to be overclocking it but I gotta go fast so I have to.

Right... so you payed extra for OC capable CPU, payed extra for an OC capable mobo and payed extra for a cooler, yet you think you have literally NO REASON to OC?

Geez, can you share some of your money with me plz? I kinda wanna get rid of my APU daily driver.

7 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Anyways, it does 4.6ghz stable at 1.27v which is totally fine. But I even TRY to do 4.7ghz, and it just won't. 1.3v, crashes at idle. 1.325v, it's stable enough to run CS:GO but I even open GTA V and it just crashes. At 1.35v, its 100% stable in aida64, but if I run it in GTA V it totally just poops out. Should I just say fuck it and keep it at 4.6ghz? Advice is appreciated. Thanks. 

If 4.7 is not stable, then settle for 4.6. Plain and simple, there's no rocket science there.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4.6 GHz is fine really. The majority of chips wont clock any higher than that and be stable.

Voltage does not always help with higher OCs, I would leave it at 4.6, or try to clock to 4646 MHz like I did on my 6700k by raising the BLCK to 101

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Right... so you payed extra for OC capable CPU, payed extra for an OC capable mobo and payed extra for a cooler, yet you think you have literally NO REASON to OC?

Geez, can you share some of your money with me plz? I kinda wanna get rid of my APU daily driver.

If 4.7 is not stable, then settle for 4.6. Plain and simple, there's no rocket science there.

I meant it in a more literal sense. 95% of the time I'm playing CS:GO. The other 5% I'm playing GTA V or DayZ, so the extra mhz on my CPU won't gain me anything. It just pisses me off more than anything. 75% of 4790k's can do 4.6ghz. 15% can do 4.7+. I just want to join the "my 4790k is above the 50th percentile club." 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

10 minutes ago, carsonwen said:

4.6 GHz is fine really. The majority of chips wont clock any higher than that and be stable.

Voltage does not always help with higher OCs, I would leave it at 4.6, or try to clock to 4646 MHz like I did on my 6700k by raising the BLCK to 101

Yeah I found the "wall" of my 4790k I guess. If I could pull off a 102 bclk, I could get as close to 4.7 as I'm going to get.

19 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I meant it in a more literal sense. 95% of the time I'm playing CS:GO. The other 5% I'm playing GTA V or DayZ, so the extra mhz on my CPU won't gain me anything. It just pisses me off more than anything. 75% of 4790k's can do 4.6ghz. 15% can do 4.7+. I just want to join the "my 4790k is above the 50th percentile club." 

If you don't have anything to use all that computing power on, then consider joining Boinc or Folding to do some distributed computing. Even if you don't have a use for all that processing power, you can bet there are scientists all over the world that do.

18 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Yeah I found the "wall" of my 4790k I guess. If I could pull off a 102 bclk, I could get as close to 4.7 as I'm going to get.

Haswell Bclk fiddling isn't as butter as Skylake's, but I guess trying is better than nothing...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

have you tried:

adjusting input voltage

downclocking ram and cache

disabling c-states/all power saving features

increasing TDP limits 

bclk and bclk strap

edit: and I'm assuming you are using manual voltage?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

have you tried:

adjusting input voltage

downclocking ram and cache

disabling c-states/all power saving features

increasing TDP limits 

bclk and bclk strap

edit: and I'm assuming you are using manual voltage?

yeah after scouring reddit all day and trying everything that you just mentioned, I give up. My 4790k is a 4.6ghz chip. 

Since it seems you lost out on the silicon lottery, just keep it at 4.6GHz. I myself got quite lucky, and as a result I have it doing 4.8GHz at 1.3V (24/7 stable encoding videos, 24/7 stable gaming, stable under Prime95 but not Aida64).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Bummer! You could always sell it and buy another and hopefully you get a better chip. Would it be worth it? Probably not... is it fun seeing high clock speeds? For some reason, yes... Yes it is

Edited by 0ld_Chicken
Dun messed up sum werds

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

You see I face a similar situation with my fx-6300.It overclocks well till 4.4 but to push it to 4.5 I need to shove tons of voltage through it.If you ask me i value the life of the chip more than the 100MHZ you gain so I left it at 4.4 and I suggest you do the same,it will extend the life of your CPU,save you cash on electricity and won't affect in-game performance at all except in the slightest way.

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Since it seems you lost out on the silicon lottery, just keep it at 4.6GHz. I myself got quite lucky, and as a result I have it doing 4.8GHz at 1.3V (24/7 stable encoding videos, 24/7 stable gaming, stable under Prime95 but not Aida64).

Same as mine, I can get 4.9ghz at 1.37v stable however I run it at 4.7 1.25v

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

I've been pretty happy with my overclock on my 4790K, been able to run 4.7 at 1.23v. Temps have been good and I've been running it as my daily OC for a few weeks now. I did accomplish 4.8 but not that stable. Seems pretty good though on the "lottery" standpoint. Glad to know I got a CPU chip that overclocks well as my GTX980 does not overclock much past the factory OC. 

14 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Hi all. Yeah my 4790k is super not a lottery winner (or loser for that matter) and hates me. I have literally NO REASON to be overclocking it but I gotta go fast so I have to.

What kind of temps are you getting under load?