What speed is my RAM running at?

99f4d53f91051e519d5db0ff7af3e13e.png

fa66296d2b1081e3d3b7844d38bb0058.png

22db8d9ca54082ef0940be5f6343f4d7.png

I have enabled XMP in the bios so it should be running at 1866 Mhz, I am starting to think its not getting there.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

DDR stands for double data rate. The 933mhz shown in CPU-Z is doubled to make 1866mhz.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1866Mhz

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

CPU-Z shows the actual frequency of the RAM. DDR = Double Data Rate, which means that the RAM performs two operations per cycle, making the effective frequency double the actual.

The RAM is actually running at 933MHz (near enough) but the effective clock is 1866MHz, which is what's advertised by the manufacturer. 

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

CPU-Z shows the actual frequency of the RAM. DDR = Double Data Rate, which means that the RAM performs two operations per cycle, making the effective frequency double the actual.

The RAM is actually running at 933MHz (near enough) but the effective clock is 1866MHz, which is what's advertised by the manufacturer. 

So, all is normal? And ram doesn't always run at full speed? @WoodenMarker @Oshino Shinobu

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Just now, Vengeance_K1ng said:

So, all is normal? And ram doesn't always run at full speed? @WoodenMarker @Oshino Shinobu

It's normal. The ram is running at 1866mhz. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's normal. The ram is running at 1866mhz. 

What about @Oshino Shinobu saying it's not

6 minutes ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

That's not what he said. The clock speed is 933mhz but it makes sense to just say the ram is running at 1866mhz. 

7 hours ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

The RAM is running at 1866MHz effective frequency. This is what is shown by the manufacturer. The RAM is running at 933MHz actual clock, which is the same as 1866MHz effective. Basically, you RAM is running at the speeds it is meant to run at. 

9 hours ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. That is the set speed of the RAM. If I buy RAM that's able to run at 1333MHz, that's the effective frequency, and its actual frequency will be around 667MHz. What you're seeing in CPU-Z is the real frequency. The expression for figuring out the effective frequency is simply 2x, where x equals the real frequency.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch