the limit when overclocking ?

thdang

What is the limit when overclocking ? I've seen a lot of people turn the cpu to a brick when overclocking but most of the time they didnt tell how they get to that point. And what i should aviod ? Could you guy give me some example and some tip in different way and different senario of overclock ? Asking from a newbie here.

You incrementally increase the clock speeds until it instantly fails running a benchmark.

When it fails, increase voltage a bit and redo it.

Generally you shouldn't surpass 1.4v 

1 minute ago, HydraGaming said:

You incrementally increase the clock speeds until it instantly fails running a benchmark.

When it fails, increase voltage a bit and redo it.

Generally you shouldn't surpass 1.4v 

If i'm REALLY going for it I would do a 1.5 volt on a chip costing less than $100 for BENCHMARKING PURPOSES ONLY. 1.4 is higher than I want to run for daily use, I like 1.38

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Depends on the cpu;

If you have intel and a 120mm air/liquid cooler then no more than 1.26v and core multiplier of 45

If you have Dual 120mm Radiator or Dual 120mm heatsink tower no more than 1.35v and core multiplier of 47

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

The limit of overclocking is the last setting before the system doesn't boot up anymore. The limit of a stable overclock is when it can handle a heavy load (either AIDA64 or Prime95) for more than 30 minutes at the minimum, though some people run them overnight to be sure.

The electrical limits is usually no more than 10% of the voltage the processor normally runs at, or whatever's specified (Intel says no more than 1.45V for Skylake, which is likely the same for everything before that to Sandy Bridge).

The other thing is thermal limits. If you are tripping 90C at full load, you need to get a better cooler or tone it down.

2 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Depends on the cpu;

If you have intel and a 120mm air/liquid cooler then no more than 1.26v and core multiplier of 45

If you have Dual 120mm Radiator or Dual 120mm heatsink tower no more than 1.35v and core multiplier of 47

Since when should you not surpass a certain clock speed if you can do it while stable?

1 minute ago, HydraGaming said:

Since when should you not surpass a certain clock speed if you can do it while stable?

Because higher clock increases heat. If your CPU doesn't have enough cooling it will fry.

I heard that you can overclock non K cpu using the asrock pro4/hyper series but only allow changing bclk an it will disable the cpu temp sensor, is it dangerous to do it ?

3 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

Haven't seen anyone get 5GHz stable 24/7 on any modern chip so.......

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Just now, BlargKing said:

Because higher clock increases heat. If your CPU doesn't have enough cooling it will fry.

it wont fry, it will throttle. There is no reason to have a lower mutliplier if you can push harder (assuming you got the temperature and power headroom).

3 minutes ago, thdang said:

I heard that you can overclock non K cpu using the asrock pro4/hyper series but only allow changing bclk an it will disable the cpu temp sensor, is it dangerous to do it ?

Sometimes it works, but I highly don't recommend it

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, thdang said:

only "hyper" branded boards for what i know. And you shouldn't disable the temp sensor, i didnt even know that was required for blck overclocking.

I don't know, i just heard that, some guy said it easy to get to 4.5 GHz with that mb if you have a good enough cooler but it bclk so im very sceptical about its stability