GTX 1070 LAG SPIKES

soPlex

I am experiencing lagg spikes while playing games such as GTA V, CS:GO, Garry's Mod and other games. The lag spikes just happens once in a while but it's rather annoying when it happens.

SETUP:

CPU: i5-6400

GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 1070

RAM: HyperX 2133MHz 2x8GB 

MOBO: MSI Gaming M3 Z170A

PSU; 600W Cooler Master B600 Ver. 2

Temperatures are low, all drivers have been updated and reinstalled multiple times, still no change, happens every 5th minute or so, I'd appreciate some assistance.

The CPU is a major bottleneck here. You should've gotten a 1060. but you shouldn't be seeing any lag anyways. strange.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

But I should not be experiencing lag spikes anyway with this setup, I had an R9 390 earlier and I did not experience lagg spikes, I also re-installed Windows 10 when I installed my 1070.

Just now, soPlex said:

But I should not be experiencing lag spikes anyway with this setup, I had an R9 390 earlier and I did not experience lagg spikes, I also re-installed Windows 10 when I installed my 1070.

Remember to quote people so we get a notification to your answers! You do this by pressing the arrow under the specific comment you wish to reply to.

There is a huge bottleneck as mentioned, but you shouldn't experience lag none the less. What is it like?

27 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Remember to quote people so we get a notification to your answers! You do this by pressing the arrow under the specific comment you wish to reply to.

There is a huge bottleneck as mentioned, but you shouldn't experience lag none the less. What is it like?

6400 runs at 3.3 GHz boost all day. I don't think it's that big of a bottleneck. An overclocked 6600k would be better obviously but the bottleneck should be quite small, even smaller at 1440p and higher which he should be gaming at.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

1 hour ago, MVPernula said:

Will do quote! ;-)

I'm aware that the CPU is a bottleneck to the i5-6400, but I still should not be experiencing these lag spike since I consider this rather light gaming, I get over 140FPS on Ultra in BF4 although it is a well optimized game with good graphics I don't get spikes in that game, however I feel lagg spikes when playing much lighter games, I do know GTA V uses a bit of CPU power but I've never experienced this sort of stuttering before.

It usually goes down like this, I'm using FiveReborn and custom modifications for my emergency roleplay clan I'm in. I play GTA V at optimized settings using GeForce Experience, just every 5th to 10th minute I do experience a small stop lasting half a second to a second before it quickly resumes again.

As mentioned my R9 390 did not experience this sort of stuttering in GTA V at Ultra Settings with 2x MSAA, much like the same settings with my 1070.

I do not notice it often in different games but it do happen sometimes, might there be a RAM issue? 

1 hour ago, Shubham Yadav said:

6400 runs at 3.3 GHz boost all day. I don't think it's that big of a bottleneck. An overclocked 6600k would be better obviously but the bottleneck should be quite small, even smaller at 1440p and higher which he should be gaming at.

I am running an older BIOS which allows me to do a bit of overclocking on my i5-6400, since I have an Z170 Mainboard. My top priority on the upgrade list is my CPU. :-)

2 minutes ago, soPlex said:

Will do quote! ;-)

I'm aware that the CPU is a bottleneck to the i5-6400, but I still should not be experiencing these lag spike since I consider this rather light gaming, I get over 140FPS on Ultra in BF4 although it is a well optimized game with good graphics I don't get spikes in that game, however I feel lagg spikes when playing much lighter games, I do know GTA V uses a bit of CPU power but I've never experienced this sort of stuttering before.

It usually goes down like this, I'm using FiveReborn and custom modifications for my emergency roleplay clan I'm in. I play GTA V at optimized settings using GeForce Experience, just every 5th to 10th minute I do experience a small stop lasting half a second to a second before it quickly resumes again.

As mentioned my R9 390 did not experience this sort of stuttering in GTA V at Ultra Settings with 2x MSAA, much like the same settings with my 1070.

I do not notice it often in different games but it do happen sometimes, might there be a RAM issue? 

Maybe, try using one RAM stick at the time and game a bit. If the issue remains you can try something else.

12 minutes ago, soPlex said:

I am running an older BIOS which allows me to do a bit of overclocking on my i5-6400, since I have an Z170 Mainboard. My top priority on the upgrade list is my CPU. :-)

If you can overclock it, just get a CPU cooler and OC it to 4.2 GHz instead of getting a new CPU.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Just out of interest did you DDU the old drivers from your AMD card

He re-installed Windows.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

On 15.9.2016 at 10:50 AM, Shubham Yadav said:

If you can overclock it, just get a CPU cooler and OC it to 4.2 GHz instead of getting a new CPU.

Will most definetively attempt that, I have an H110i in my old setup which I might move over, only problem is my case, so I'll most likely be getting a new one!

On 15.9.2016 at 10:38 AM, MVPernula said:

Maybe, try using one RAM stick at the time and game a bit. If the issue remains you can try something else.

Will attempt that, although I do not think the issue is RAM but I'll give it a shot.