Building a PC

Armakar

So as stupid as it sounds, I know ALOT about pc and components etc. I know all the latest hardware and architecture etc, but I still do not want to build my PC. I have been into PCs and hardware for years . I attempted to build a PC for a friend last year and ended up frying the mobo not sure why, maybe because we built it on a carpet or maybe because I fucked up the wiring, maybe because I didn't screw the motherboard onto the standoffs but onto the case?

I'm not ordering my newest build and my question is this -  if I try building it myself ( not on a carpet ) what possibilties are there that I would fuck something up? If I plug a cable in the wrong place will it fry? if I  put the cpu in the wrong direction will it fry my new £300 CPU? What possibilties do I need to consider?

THanks!

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I have built a couple in the last year (mine and my brothers). Even as a novice builder everything went okay. Make sure you get one of those wrist bracelets to ground yourself so you don't have any static. I have heard that has the potential to fry components but its rare.

The possiblity of fucking up is always present, but building on carpet isn`t smart, fucking wiring up is  bad too, but putting in directly onto the case is just really stupid...

The only thing you need to do, to not fuck up is: read the manual

to game or not to game, that`s the question

you need to put in standoffs most newer cases come with them. dont build it on carpet be care full with the wiring if your unsure use a non modular psu and only use the cables that you need be careful of static. if your ever uncertain about anything in your build read the manuals and look online before installing anything and remember theirs always a chance you'll make a mistake but that shouldn't deter you from building your own pc and if you have any questions you can always come back here and ask them.

build: Frankenstein http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QLBRVY

i know it's nuts but the drives i bought over time as i need more storage.

14 minutes ago, Kantor said:

you need to put in standoffs most newer cases come with them. dont build it on carper be care full with the wiring if your unsure use a non modular psu and only use the cables that you need be careful of static. if your ever uncertain about anything in your build read the manuals and look online before installing anything and remember theirs always a chance you'll make a mistake but that shouldn't deter you from building your own pc and if you have any questions you can always come back here and ask them.

I know where all the wires go, I just mean if I fuck up 1 or two. Obviously there's 1 massive mobo  one, i've got 2 8 pins for my gpu, the 8piin for cpu, satas for hard drive, front IO etc.. exactly what would I have to do wrong for the wiring to fry something?

The only cable I plugged s tupoidly was the front IO switches. Those things are so poorly designed and have to be put in ridiculous ways to get them to work.. what if I plug them in wrong?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

I know where all the wires go, I just mean if I fuck up 1 or two. Obviously there's 1 massive mobo  one, i've got 2 8 pins for my gpu, the 8piin for cpu, satas for hard drive, front IO etc.. exactly what would I have to do wrong for the wiring to fry something?

The only cable I plugged s tupoidly was the front IO switches. Those things are so poorly designed and have to be put in ridiculous ways to get them to work.. what if I plug them in wrong?

The wires are keyed so they can only go in the right spots. You would have to try pretty hard to fry something by plugging something in the wrong place.

Almost everything on the computer is keyed so that it cannot be plugged into the wrong place. The only exception that I can think of is on a modular power supply some cables can be plugged into different ports so careful attention is needed to make sure you don't get them mixed up.

If you are scared of that, you can get a non-modular power supply (usually cheaper anyway) and simply snip off the power connectors you don't need.

As long as you take your time and pay careful attention to what is going on in the system and read all the directions then you will be fine.

Also, you might want to invest in a grounding strap from amazon.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

5 hours ago, Armakar said:

So as stupid as it sounds, I know ALOT about pc and components etc. I know all the latest hardware and architecture etc, but I still do not want to build my PC. I have been into PCs and hardware for years . I attempted to build a PC for a friend last year and ended up frying the mobo not sure why, maybe because we built it on a carpet or maybe because I fucked up the wiring, maybe because I didn't screw the motherboard onto the standoffs but onto the case?

I'm not ordering my newest build and my question is this -  if I try building it myself ( not on a carpet ) what possibilties are there that I would fuck something up? If I plug a cable in the wrong place will it fry? if I  put the cpu in the wrong direction will it fry my new £300 CPU? What possibilties do I need to consider?

THanks!

Oh yeah I forgot to put standoffs on my motherboard

The geek himself.

5 hours ago, Armakar said:

THanks!

It just wont boot if you plug it in wrong and you cant plug it in wrong anyways, the holes line up with the connector

The geek himself.

There are several video guides for this, with varying levels of sexyness.

i dont think front panel io will fry mobo up. those are usually for power switch and led lights. power switch wrong will not let you start ur pc hence no power to fry anything, led lights wrong wont damdge anything becuz those things use very little voltages and can hardly damage anything.

ways to avoid fking things up: remember the steps you need to take, maybe play a building guide on the side and let it guide you. if you are lazy and dont wanna wear a grounding band, just remember to touch the metal part of ur case b4 handling parts.