Samsung thinking about 3.5 jack

NinjaCode
On 9/14/2016 at 4:16 PM, Atmos said:

fucking NO

STOP

No more proprietary bullshit that marks up prices on products that people need.

Fucking stop removing standards that have no issues, and who's capacity hasn't even gotten close to being reached yet. 

I'd be 'more' okay with it if they included a SECOND usb-c port for headphones, but if there's only a single port then that's an instant deal breaker for me. Why the fuck are these companies not listening to the massive outrage against this utterly moronic decision.

removal of a feature that EVERYONE uses for no other sake than false innovation is NOT a selling point. Stop Already. Now.

I dont use my headphone jack

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Idk if you buy your phones from reputable sources the fakes shouldn't be there. 

Which fakes? My chinaphone is 100% authentic chinaphone with zero copyright infringement. Also, it is generic af. 

4 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

I'd be somewhat ok with phones removing 3.5mm jacks if they used usb type c

Even then, you'd need to carry an adapter around if you wanted to use headphones with it that aren't wireless or usb type c based.

If they were to remove it, having a second usb type c port would be better than just leaving us with a single usb type c port, but I still don't see much of a reason to remove the 3.5mm jack.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Even then, you'd need to carry an adapter around if you wanted to use headphones with it that aren't wireless or usb type c based.

If they were to remove it, having a second usb type c port would be better than just leaving us with a single usb type c port, but I still don't see much of a reason to remove the 3.5mm jack.

I know that but like, how many times will you ACTUALLY need to charge your phone and listen to music? I can't really remember the last time I was in that position myself so not having the option will maybe be a set-back a couple times a year. Tech must and will go on, and if removing the 3.5mm jack will help towards that, then that's fine by me, IF it truly brings some worthy innovation to the table

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

16 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

I know that but like, how many times will you ACTUALLY need to charge your phone and listen to music? I can't really remember the last time I was in that position myself so not having the option will maybe be a set-back a couple times a year. Tech must and will go on, and if removing the 3.5mm jack will help towards that, then that's fine by me, IF it truly brings some worthy innovation to the table

I do so every night actually, watch YouTube with the phone and headphones plugged in. 

While tech must go on, there seems to be little interest in a true replacement for the 3.5 jack, as opposed to just shoehorn in the functionality into USB-C. I personally wouldn't accept anything less than dual USB-C as an "ok"  replacement.

Ideally, we should have a new standard altogether that is cheap for headphones manufacturers to implement, is very robust both on the phone and the port in regards to being yanked around (not sure the gripping force of USB-C) and small enough that manufacturers won't mind. I don't see many implementing dual USB-C,  as it is fairly big even compared to the 3.5mm jack. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Ideally, we should have a new standard altogether that is cheap for headphones manufacturers to implement, is very robust both on the phone and the port in regards to being yanked around (not sure the gripping force of USB-C) and small enough that manufacturers won't mind. I don't see many implementing dual USB-C,  as it is fairly big even compared to the 3.5mm jack. 

agree 1000%. the 3.5mm jack is just perfect, except for the internal space apparently. Never had my headphone fall out of the socket, unlike my micro usb cable

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

46 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Whatever they'd implement would need to be analog based and support stereo, otherwise it'll cost more for headphone manufacturers as they'll have to implement their own amp and dac into the headphones instead of just running off the one inside the phone or such.

If they need something smaller, perhaps just jump down to 2.5mm instead of 3.5mm.

I can't really think of a good way to replace the 3.5mm jack, it's a fantastic connector for it's usage as is.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W