What RX480 Would Fit ?

wowotek

Hi Guys i'm going to build another computer with this component :

ASrock B150 Gaming K4

16GB of Ram

i5 6500

and the I currently have money to buy RX480 4GB, so I will buy this first to try in my old computer with this component :

Mobo : MSI H61M-P31

Ram : 8GB DDR3

Processor : i3-2120

would it at least fit and run ?

3 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

It would fit and run, but I suspect a bottleneck.

ya I notice that too but it's ok i'm just try it for about 2 month before I buy the new computer. could my Mobo Handle it ?

2 minutes ago, wowotek said:

ya I notice that too but it's ok i'm just try it for about 2 month before I buy the new computer. could my Mobo Handle it ?

It will work just fine. You'll just get lower fps.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

You might have problems getting a reference board RX 480 (the ones with blower cooler) to boot, but a custom board 480 should be fine.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Unsure if the bios will recognize the card tbh..

omg, that is worrying me

Just now, Shubham Yadav said:

It will work just fine. You'll just get lower fps.

Just now, Energycore said:

You might have problems getting a reference board RX 480 (the ones with blower cooler) to boot, but a custom board 480 should be fine.

I'm buying Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro+ OC. is that fine ?

Just now, wowotek said:

I'm buying Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro+ OC. is that fine ?

Yes

You can return it if it doesn't work anyway, if you buy from a trusted retailer

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

26 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Unsure if the bios will recognize the card tbh..

Why wouldn't it?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

26 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Why wouldn't it?

Well old motherboards with an unupdated bios might not support GPU's sometimes.

7 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

so I only need to update bios right ?

Oh another thing, how about PSU ? I only have 430W one, is that enough ? how much would I need ?

11 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

As far as I know an old bios shouldn't cause a newer GPU to not work with it... I'm pretty sure that only applies to CPUs.

EDIT: @wowotek just try to first install the rx 480 without updating the motherboard bios it should work but if it doesn't and I'm wrong go ahead and update the bios.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

As far as I know an old bios shouldn't cause a newer GPU to not work with it... I'm pretty sure that only applies to CPUs.

EDIT: @wowotek just try to first install the rx 480 without updating the motherboard bios it should work but if it doesn't and I'm wrong go ahead and update the bios.

Thank you :)

5 minutes ago, wowotek said:

Oh another thing, how about PSU ? I only have 430W one, is that enough ? how much would I need ?

Psu miiight.. MIGHT be a little tight. I would personally upgrade to at least a 550w.

Just now, wowotek said:

Thank you :)

I could be wrong about it :D so don't take my word for it :P. I mean I'm pretty certain it isn't needed but pretty certain =/= certain!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, MVPernula said:

Psu miiight.. MIGHT be a little tight. I would personally upgrade to at least a 550w.

Thank you, i'll put that in list

the rx480 shouldnt require a bios update, only drivers and compatibility with the OS. Checking the specs doesnt seem like much compared to the older generations. TDP is rated at 150W so even a 500W PSU is sufficient if using an i3. Just add up the TDP of the entire rig and get a PSU just above that.