Getting and Setting Up Media Player

ThePointblank

Looking for some advice on getting a media player set up at home.

Looking for something that can do Netflix primarily, while also playing local media. My house is already wired up for Gigabit ethernet. I will also be getting and plugging in a wireless keyboard as well. Nothing too fancy is needed beyond that. Looking to keep everything under $150 dollars Canadian. What are your recommendations?

You can try Raspberry Pi with Android and run XBMC.

Possible, but I got a bunch of non-techies in the house, and I'm not always available to troubleshoot or help figure things out. It has to be easy to use.

Possible, but I got a bunch of non-techies in the house, and I'm not always available to troubleshoot or help figure things out. It has to be easy to use.

Honestly, I'd recommend a Roku 3 device most. It has an app for Plex Media Center if you ever decide to setup a Plex Media Server (Those can run on Mac, Linux, Windows, or numerous NAS's like Synology).

It's also just a solid device with good playback support, local playback over USB or network playback via ethernet.

2nd to that, I'd recommend a WD Live unit.

Both will be way easier than a Raspberry Pi unit, even one running XBMC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)