Fallout New Vegas not running on new Windows 10 install

Exploded117
Go to solution Solved by elpiop,

If you have an nvidia gpu, try using an older driver: ie: 364.72. the anniversary edition comes bundled with a driver that is not compatible with the game. Anything before driver version 368.95 should allow you to play though

I think it's probably the same with AMD, just rollback your driver and you should be good to go

I've had this PC for a while, and it is within the needed specifications for Fallout New Vegas. I have even played quite a bit of New Vegas on this PC, however, recently my Windows 10 install got corrupted during an update. I had to reinstall. Ever since then, I have not been able to get New Vegas to run on this PC. I've tried updating graphics drivers, compatibility mode, reinstalling the game multiple times, rebooting, and nothing has worked. I was wondering if any of you have ad a similar issue and are able to provide some insight on how to fix this.

Also, for reference, the launcher runs fine. It will start the game and everything, but when I go to load into the game through a save it will crash. Also, when starting a new game, it will get through the intro video, then crash.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix this!

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the game?  I had a very similar issue with Fallout 3 but I can't remember how I fixed it...

8 hours ago, EricSartor said:

Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the game?  I had a very similar issue with Fallout 3 but I can't remember how I fixed it...

Fallout 3 is completely broken on anything newer than Vista and requires modification to run on newer OSs. 

I personally have never had any issues with Fallout New Vegas on Windows 10. I would try verifying the game cache and if that doesn't work try reinstalling the game.

2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Fallout 3 and NV will not run on w10 for me either.

Fallout 3 is a given as it doesn't even work on Windows 7, an OS that came out less than a year after its release. I wonder why New Vegas is giving issues all the sudden. Do you (and OP) happen to have the windows 10 anniversary update when you installed it? Could the version steam is currently providing have issues with windows 10? I have only ever played NV on Windows 10 (played on 360 before buying the ultimate edition from the winter sale this year).

23 hours ago, EricSartor said:

Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the game?

14 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

I would try verifying the game cache and if that doesn't work try reinstalling the game.

I have done this multiple times to no avail.

7 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

Do you (and OP) happen to have the windows 10 anniversary update when you installed it? Could the version steam is currently providing have issues with windows 10? I have only ever played NV on Windows 10 (played on 360 before buying the ultimate edition from the winter sale this year).

This might be the source of the problem. I played the game just fine before the recent anniversary update to Windows 10, however, after reformatting my computer and installing the anniversary update, I have not been able to run it.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

If you have an nvidia gpu, try using an older driver: ie: 364.72. the anniversary edition comes bundled with a driver that is not compatible with the game. Anything before driver version 368.95 should allow you to play though

I think it's probably the same with AMD, just rollback your driver and you should be good to go

Forgot to mention, from what i've heard, nvidia knows of the issue with their pascal drivers and i believe they are fixing it in the next release

On 9/14/2016 at 3:56 PM, elpiop said:

Thanks! I rolled back my Nvidia drivers ti 364.72 and now Fallout runs perfectly! Thanks a bunch for the help!

-Ron White

I found the same issues after hours of back and forth with steam support. I sent NVIDIA some information after their second BF1 driver didn't seem to fix the issue. I really hope they intend to fix it, because rolling back drivers just to play New Vegas/FO3 is A) a pain and B) seems to break shadow play somehow.