Let's talk about overclocking... (because i'm new at this)

for example, let's compare 6700k vs 6700

price difference: between 30€/50$

performance (gaming/editing): 5-13 fps/2 mins less...? (correct me if im wrong, and yes, 6700k overclocked)

TPD: 95W (6700k) vs 65W (6700)

so, actually that's worth? also, for 6700k you would need to spend on a good cooler (that's why you bought the overclocker version) and his life-span will get shorten (not dramatically but still), so how can i know that's worth getting the overclocker version?

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

How much performance difference there is will depend on what you're doing. 

Weigh the performance to cost and you can find out whether it's worth it.

If you're not sure if what you're doing can benefit from getting the better cpu and whether it's worth using a larger chunk of your budget, it's time to ask some more specific questions. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

for example, let's compare 6700k vs 6700

price difference: between 30€/50$

performance (gaming/editing): 5-13 fps/2 mins less...? (correct me if im wrong, and yes, 6700k overclocked)

TPD: 95W (6700k) vs 65W (6700)

so, actually that's worth? also, for 6700k you would need to spend on a good cooler (that's why you bought the overclocker version) and his life-span will get shorten (not dramatically but still), so how can i know that's worth getting the overclocker version?

Strictly speaking, going with an overclocking CPU (and mobo) + cooler is never "worth it" in a pure price/performance point of view. Thing is, though, if you want a better level of performance, you pretty much just have to shell out the cash.

You also gain other advantages as well. For instance, the cooler, which will be quieter than the stock heatsink, as well as looking prettier. Speaking of which, OC mobos usually look much better than regular H110 ones, as well as having other useful features (such as RAM OCing, which is another performance boost).

Rule of thumb would be: assuming oyu can afford a 6700k + platform in the first place (otherwise it's pointless to even think about it) would you be able to get better parts -say, a better GPU- if you were to go with a cheaper 6700? If no, then just dump the money on a 6700k

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

#1 Is it something you enjoy doing?

#2 Does your pocket book justify the extra cost for the minimal performance gain? If you are an enthusiast then it very well might. There is zero way to quantify that, it is up to each individual.

The other thing to look at here is that for some reason Intel clocked the 6700 lower than that of the 6700K (3.4GHz vs. 4.0GHz base clock and 4.0GHz vs 4.2GHz boost clock)

Since I run with an i7-6700, the processor may like to throttle aggressively as it seemed wanting to stick to running at 3.4GHz during a Prime95 run. But for the most part with a decent cooler (I have a "dinky" 95W low profile cooler) it can sustain boost clocks during games.

In any case the million dollar question is if it's worthwhile. Well is your time that valuable? Do you really need that frame rate? Plus overclocking not an exact science so even if you have the same setup as someone who managed to push an i7-6700K to 4.8GHz, you may not. Or you may be able to squeeze out 4.9GHz. 

Also not every game and program sees the same benefits. I saw a GTAV benchmark run where overclocking did almost nothing to performance.

The question of value is ultimately up to you. Lots of people would argue against getting an i7 because it costs too much for its gains over the i5.