Samsung 960 EVO Inbound! "Polaris" Architecture

patrickjp93

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-preps-samsung-960-evo-m2-with-polaris-architecture.html

48-Layer TLC NAND

Samsung is to release the new model in capacities of 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, and 1 TB. Performance wise you'll get a smile on your face, it is tagged with sequential transfer rates of up to 3000 MB/s reads, with up to 1150 MB/s writes; 360,000 IOPS 4K random-read, and up to 280,000 IOPS 4K random-write.

The 960 EVO will become available likely next month in M.2 (NGFF-2280) and PCIe add-on card form-factors. These units obviously will require PCI-Express 3.0 with x4  lanes as the SSDs are using the the NVMe protocol.

Hurray for cheaper high-capacity M.2 drives! And that performance is still nothing to sneeze at.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Hurray for cheaper high-capacity M.2 drives!

*raises his glass*

Here here!

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

I blame Intel for the price drop of NVME drives with their release of the P600 series. 

No mention of price on the Samsung though.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I blame Intel for the price drop of NVME drives with their release of the P600 series. 

No mention of price on the Samsung though.

It's TLC. It'll be cheaper than the 950 Pro by far.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

It's TLC. It'll be cheaper than the 950 Pro by far.

It is faster than the P600s, so 10% markup maybe.

6 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

What's the price we can expect?

Not listed, but I'd bet between 25 and 35% cheaper than the 950 Pro.

Looking forward to yet again doubling my SSD size (128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, aerandir92 said:

Looking forward to yet again doubling my SSD size (128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024)

If I ever find a way to actually fill up a 1TB drive... My 960GB Sandisk Ultra II may be with me for many years.

30 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Hurray for cheaper high-capacity M.2 drives! And that performance is still nothing to sneeze at.

and yet, there's no price sticker attached xD

@stconquest you wish

Just now, zMeul said:

and yet, there's no price sticker attached xD

It's TLC and underperforms vs. the 950 Pro. It'll be cheaper.

If I ever find a way to actually fill up a 1TB drive... My 960GB Sandisk Ultra II may be with me for many years.

Games are getting bigger, and my 512GB is a bit too tight to have all the games I want on it. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Games and my bluray collection is dying for storage to half again in price.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

It's TLC and underperforms vs. the 950 Pro. It'll be cheaper.

cheaper, yes

but how much cheaper, that's the question - if it's like 10$ cheaper, won't matter much

problem is Intel's 600p is pretty much a disappointment 

29 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Games and my bluray collection is dying for storage to half again in price.

Playing back Blu-Ray does not require an SSD.

29 minutes ago, zMeul said:

cheaper, yes

but how much cheaper, that's the question - if it's like 10$ cheaper, won't matter much

problem is Intel's 600p is pretty much a disappointment 

It's not a disappointment at all. It's incredibly cheap NVMe. It was not meant to be a 950 Pro competitor.

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not a disappointment at all. It's incredibly cheap NVMe. It was not meant to be a 950 Pro competitor.

I didn't looked at it as a 950Pro competitor at all

I looked at it as a 850EVO replacement - and the IOPs, at least for the 120 and 256GB models were underwhelming: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/651540-intel-600p-or-samsung-850-evo/#comment-8371054

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I didn't looked at it as a 950Pro competitor at all

I looked at it as a 850EVO replacement - and the IOPs, at least for the 120 and 256GB models were underwhelming: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/651540-intel-600p-or-samsung-850-evo/#comment-8371054

I don't see how that's underwhelming for an entry-level NVMe product.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I don't see how that's underwhelming for an entry-level NVMe product.

taht post I made was an evaluation I made 2 days prior to PCPer's review, review that make the 600p look even worse

Just picked up 512 Gb 600p for 189$  for general use to put in my ultrabook,  just hope it dose not get crushed by this which it probably well knowing Samsung unrivaled performance in the ssd market. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

Just picked up up 512 600p,  for general use to put in my ultrabook,  just hope it dose not get crushed by this which it probably well knowing Samsung unrivaled performance in the ssd market. 

Intel's performance in real tests often beats out Samsung's stuff. The 750 beat out the SM951 in benchmarks, even though on paper the SM951 looks better. Also, the P600 is an entry level piece. The 840 and 850 Evos still were right near the top of the pack in performance despite being the cheapest of Samsung's offerings. And there are a few brands cheaper than the 850 EVO.

22 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel's performance in real tests often beats out Samsung's stuff. The 750 beat out the SM951 in benchmarks, even though on paper the SM951 looks better. Also, the P600 is an entry level piece. The 840 and 850 Evos still were right near the top of the pack in performance despite being the cheapest of Samsung's offerings. And there are a few brands cheaper than the 850 EVO.

Not related to the topic but would like to hear your input. Form what I gathered the 600p has problems when it tries to empty its cache and write to it at the same time when the cache gets full instead of writing to the flash directly. Do you think this can be solved with firmware update?  

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

3 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Not related to the topic but would like to hear your input. Form what I gathered the 600p has problems when it tries to empty its cache and write to it at the same time when the cache gets full instead of writing to the flash directly. Do you think this can be solved with firmware update?  

It should be fixable. It's just a matter of transaction ordering assuming Intel didn't make it impossible at a hardware level.

Hope it doesn't get as hot as the 950 Pro... 

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

i dont understand the polaris architecture title, mind explaining, i didnt read the article