6700k Voltage Issue

Hey everyone,

I have really weird voltage spikes on my CPU which us running at stock speeds @4GHz and "optimal" settings in my z170 pro gaming asus board. Basically what is happening is that when i am playing a game the voltage sometime reaches 1.4V which i consider really, really high for stock speeds. 

I tried setting it to manual mode in bios @1.3Vcore but when i look in CPU-Z or HWMonitor it still reads very high voltages. It is like the bios is ignoring my manual Vcore setting. Is there anything i can do about this? Should i try Offset or Adaptive mode? I want my CPU to be at 1.3Vcore or "VID" as it reads in HWMonitor and CPU-Z so that i can overclock it properly without the voltage spiking so much.

And yes, i do have the latest bios for my mobo and like i said, i am running at "optimal" settings in bios so i don't have XMP or anything else activated. I usually run with XMP turned on but nothing really changes. The voltage still spikes to 1.4V.

I'm a total newbie with overclocking specifically CPUs so any help would be greatly appreciated! 9_9

5 minutes ago, xFyrus said:

Is there anything i can do about this? Should i try Offset or Adaptive mode? I want my CPU to be at 1.3Vcore or "VID" as it reads in HWMonitor and CPU-Z so that i can overclock it properly without the voltage spiking so much.

Well.. if you want your voltage to be at 1.3v, don't you think you just have to set it to manual/fixed at that? Don't use offset or adaptive, use a plain set mode and dial in 1.3v. There, problem solved (let's not dive into LLC unless we need to).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Imakuni I said that i already tried setting it to manual mode but to no avail. It still goes over 1.4v when i play CPU intensive games or just opening programs in Windows. I want it to be locked @1.3v which i locked it to with manual mode but manual mode does not do anything for me at all. The Vcore still spikes up to 1.4v. :(

5 minutes ago, xFyrus said:

@Imakuni I said that i already tried setting it to manual mode but to no avail. It still goes over 1.4v when i play CPU intensive games or just opening programs in Windows. I want it to be locked @1.3v which i locked it to with manual mode but manual mode does not do anything for me at all. The Vcore still spikes up to 1.4v. :(

Pretty sure that wasn't there...

Anyhow, can you post a HWMonitor screenshot under load please? Show everything on the Mobo and CPU area, you can minimize everything else.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Imakuni Yes, i will also include a screenshot of my bios (maybe i am changing the wrong setting?) but i doubt that. The screenshot of HWMonitor is with the CPU overlocked to 4.2GHz  @1.3Vcore.2016-09-13.png2016-09-13 (1).png

Right.. I guess we'll have to resort to LLC then. Scroll down to Load-Line Calibration and play around with it. Try the different levels and see how your CPU reacts to each one of them until you find the one that allows you to get as close to your desired voltage as possible.

Depending on how it goes, you might even have to lower your voltage below 1.3 so that after LLC kicks in, it ends up in the correct 1.3 value. That's what I do with mine, I set it to 1.27 for it to overshot to 1.296v.

@Imakuni Alright! I will try that when i wake up tomorrow and i will tell you how it goes. Thanks for helping! :)