'Checklist' for installing a new MB?

Go to solution Solved by RafflesTheThief,
39 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

Easiest way is to backup data to an external drive or a media drive and just swap in the new one and do a fresh install. No need to do the windows reset thing. Once you get into Windows go to settings and live update, run and install any updates and reboot. Run it again and reboot again if needed. I always install GeForce or Crimson and the newest drivers through that along with Corsair Link, etc if you have any water-cooling fan/pump software and then do a second reboot. One thing to note and the only reason I'm commenting is to put the USB stick into a 2.0 port, the Windows install is known to hang sometimes trying to install through 3.0 and you just have to reboot and try again, it doesn't harm anything but it's a big waste of time.

Great reply, thanks very much. Will start the backup tomorrow when home! 

I'll be installing from a CD though (unusually), but that's the only difference in what I'll do. 

Potentially daft question, but when it is installed, do I simply reinstall Windows over the old installation (on my current boot drive)? That's the bit that has me wondering! 

Hi all

Time has come to downsize my rig to MiniITX. Going from a Gigabyte Z170XP SLI to an MSI Z170I Gaming Pro. 

I've read a fair bit of confliciting info on what exactly is necessary when swapping a MB. Of course it's not going to be as easy as just swapping my old one for the new one (although, if it is, win), but is there a 'checklist' of sorts that people use when upgrading their MB? 

I was going to backup my data, use windows reset to wipe the drives, shut the system down, and then install the new mobo and reinstall windows from scratch. 

Is that going too far? Or not far enough? I'm fairly comfortable with most things PC related, but this not something I've ever done before! 

Thanks for any help you can give :)

You just need to install the new motherboard drivers. You might need to call Microsoft to reactivate your Windows but that's about it.

That being said, a fresh install of Windows is always a cleaner way of doing things.

Moved to CPUs and Motherboards.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, acerwin said:

don't forget to ground yourself xD

just put in the power supply, and plug it in with the rocker switch turned off, and..

THATS IT, YOU'RE GROUNDED! :P

in all honesty, at work i replace parts in servers sitting on carpet in a bone dry room, and i've yet to have issues :D

2 minutes ago, acerwin said:

don't forget to ground yourself xD

tumblr_mxpqjplhOS1szp43so1_250.gif

But yeah, always ground yourself when possible before working with sensitive electronics.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 minutes ago, RafflesTheThief said:

Hi all

Time has come to downsize my rig to MiniITX. Going from a Gigabyte Z170XP SLI to an MSI Z170I Gaming Pro. 

I've read a fair bit of confliciting info on what exactly is necessary when swapping a MB. Of course it's not going to be as easy as just swapping my old one for the new one (although, if it is, win), but is there a 'checklist' of sorts that people use when upgrading their MB? 

I was going to backup my data, use windows reset to wipe the drives, shut the system down, and then install the new mobo and reinstall windows from scratch. 

Is that going too far? Or not far enough? I'm fairly comfortable with most things PC related, but this not something I've ever done before! 

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Easiest way is to backup data to an external drive or a media drive and just swap in the new one and do a fresh install. No need to do the windows reset thing. Once you get into Windows go to settings and live update, run and install any updates and reboot. Run it again and reboot again if needed. I always install GeForce or Crimson and the newest drivers through that along with Corsair Link, etc if you have any water-cooling fan/pump software and then do a second reboot. One thing to note and the only reason I'm commenting is to put the USB stick into a 2.0 port, the Windows install is known to hang sometimes trying to install through 3.0 and you just have to reboot and try again, it doesn't harm anything but it's a big waste of time.

39 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

I'll be installing from a CD though (unusually), but that's the only difference in what I'll do. 

Potentially daft question, but when it is installed, do I simply reinstall Windows over the old installation (on my current boot drive)? That's the bit that has me wondering! 

1 minute ago, RafflesTheThief said:

Yeah, you'll see it when you get there. It'll ask if you want to wipe it or partition, etc.... I can't remember exactly but it's very straightforward. You'll reformat wiping the drive and then install.

geico-caveman-airport.jpg